Finally Scraped my Center Stand! w00t!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

DIPA wrote:When I first bought my Buddy over the winter, I was practicing a lot of tight turns in parking lots & back roads all the time. I definitely scraped my center stand several times. I even scraped the pegs of the Rebel I rode during the MSF class!

The scraping of the center stand actually led me to my first (and hopefully only) crash. I was turning round in a tight turn in a cul-de-sac at a pretty low speed. My center stand scraped, totally spooked me, and caused me to jerk, break, and hit the throttle simultaneously :shock: I lost control & dropped the bike. Luckily, I was going very slow.
That how you lost your eye?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I scrape my center stand in a turn every once in a while.

It makes me smile 8) .
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Scraping the stand is not a good thing. It's just something that happens to most of us as we learn the limitations of the scoot. You can lean a Buddy pretty far without scraping. If you do hit stand, you've just learned that you either leaned it further than necessary or were taking the turn too fast. The sharper and faster you take a turn, the more the springs compress and the greater the likelihood of you hitting the stand.

It'll happen, but watch out for it. Hit it too hard and you'll wind up on the asphalt.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Also, accelerating while cornering raises the suspension and gets the bike up off the ground more (source: Proficient Motorcycling). If you are scraping the centerstand, take a look at whether you are properly accelerating through your turns...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
broke

Re: center stand scraping

Post by broke »

pdxbuddy wrote:on another note: I just wanted to say that using the rear passenger foot rests works great for steering, i was actually thinking that most of the steering comes from putting weight on the pegs rather than the steering wheel (handle bars). The position also cuts down on wind resistance.
Another Portland MB member! Yay!

I scraped again yesterday in the SAME SPOT i've scrapped 2 other times. All left turns, all in the same intersection.

I think I lean appropriately (read: not much chicken strips), but do not scrape often. So, the scraping is a little nerve wracking.

This morning I went extra slow through that intersection and found the culprit: A dip in the asphalt through the turn. I'm sure that the compression of my rear shock coming out of that dip is enough to bring my center stand close enough to scrape.

Also, let me theckond Image Eric's old post in this thread about greasing your center stand joints. I caught mine "stuck" only half-retracted several times until I greased it up. If it was stuck hard only half-retracted you would scrape with MUCH less lean.

Also, I'm a big fat guy according to my loving wife and kids (215) so that may contribute to my scrape-age.
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
DIPA

Post by DIPA »

ScooterTrash wrote: That how you lost your eye?
:rofl: HAHA yeah but good thing I have good insurance coverage.
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Also, accelerating while cornering raises the suspension and gets the bike up off the ground more (source: Proficient Motorcycling). If you are scraping the centerstand, take a look at whether you are properly accelerating through your turns...
+1 I'm definitely learning to do this better over time, & I havent scraped the center stand since my little "incident".
Animaetrix00

Post by Animaetrix00 »

Yeah - the place I always scrape mine is turning left onto Mission Ctr Rd in front of Qualcomm to go up the hill (off of Friars.) It's a hill with some uneven pavement/bumps/dips right where we need to turn across most of the lane. Now that I'm paying attention I can usually avoid scraping there! But sheesh it scared the shit out of me a few times.
sotied

Post by sotied »

Got it to scrape again the other day. Only two times in 4000 miles.

And I think it was exactly because I had rolled off the throttle at the wrong time in the turn.

No damage to me or the scoot, but a subtle reminder to complete your turns consistently and with rolling on the throttle.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

I'd like to scrape my stand :ninja: Alright alright...just kidding
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

How the hell do you guys make such low turns without turning the scooter over? I'm scared to death to take just about any turn let alone lean into it too much.
-Justin-
louie

Post by louie »

ZQ8 Blazer wrote:How the hell do you guys make such low turns without turning the scooter over? I'm scared to death to take just about any turn let alone lean into it too much.
you'll have to lean if your turning. you probably haven't noticed the lean.
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

Yeah I know I'll have to lean, but I'm just scarred to lean a lot. I usually slow down and lean a little. I'm so scarred the tire is going to slip and the scooter will turn on it's side.
-Justin-
emilaya101

Post by emilaya101 »

I hit my exhaust too, but it was because of the corner I was turning on...
TVB

Post by TVB »

ZQ8 Blazer wrote:How the hell do you guys make such low turns without turning the scooter over? I'm scared to death to take just about any turn let alone lean into it too much.
I don't know how fast you're going, but odds are you're still a long way from the point where the scooter can't actually handle it. Two methods to expand your capability and comfort zone:
1) Work your way up to it. Make a conscious effort to take some turns - ones with good clean road surfaces - just a little faster with a little more lean than you're comfortable with. When you get a good feel for that, and feel comfortable doing it, repeat. But stop repeating before you start throttling up approaching turns. :)
2) Get yourself into a really tight, fast turn accidentally, and find out suddenly what you and your scoot are capable of. :shock:

I recommend method 1.
Last edited by TVB on Mon May 25, 2009 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

00ps
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

1) I learned how to corner on road bicycles at 30-50 (average) mph. (Also how I learned to counter-steer.)
2) I live in the mountains. It's almost all curves. Straight stretches are just there to connect the two parts of an S-curve. :lol:

To be honest, straight stretches freak me out. I've been in the mountains so long that if it's more than a quarter mile without a bend, it messes with my depth perception.
Kaos

Re: center stand scraping

Post by Kaos »

pdxbuddy wrote:
Apiarist wrote:i scrape my stand like every other day. until seeing this thread i thought it was an aberration
I have had my scooter (buddy 50) for a month and have scraped numerous times. I actually scraped today which prompted be to search on MB... doesnt seem like something to lose sleep over.

on another note: I just wanted to say that using the rear passenger foot rests works great for steering, i was actually thinking that most of the steering comes from putting weight on the pegs rather than the steering wheel (handle bars). The position also cuts down on wind resistance.
Hmm, I've always found it gives MORE wind resistance. I cannot hit my top speed with my feet up on the pasenger pegs....