Buddy 150 questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

birdmove

Buddy 150 questions

Post by birdmove »

My wife has decided to get a new Genuine Buddy 150.She will sell or trade her 2005 Honda Metro 49cc she's ridden for a few years now. I'd like to ask what a realistic cruising speed on a Buddy 150 might be? What are owners getting for gas mileage (the Metro is getting like 110+ mpg!!)? Cruising distance before having to go on reserve or gassing up?

Thanks for your comments on this,
Jon o Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
thecarver61

Post by thecarver61 »

I think she'll love the Buddy. My average crusing speed is around 60mph indicated with bursts of 65-70mph. It depends on weight and other factors, me being 225lbs. My gas milage is roughly 85mpg. I commute 1hr to work and my tank is alittle over 1/2 empty when I get there. I treat my Buddy harshly and it never lets me down. I have 7000 miles on it and look forward to many more. Good luck and ride safe.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Good move! I have a 2008 St. Tropez and LOVE it! I can cruise at anywhere up to 65mph quite comfortably. Probably spend most of my time at around 50-55 though. My personal high speed record is 70 but I don't really care to go that fast.

As for MPG I'm averaging just over 75mpg as you can see from my signature. That seems to be improving and I think will average out at around 78 eventually.

All in all I have to say my scooter is both incredibly fun and dependable, in which ever order you prefer. I think your wife will find it to be quite a comfortable transition from her present scooter to the International.

Hope this helps. Have fun and welcome to the club!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Francois Donadet

Post by Francois Donadet »

I've been getting about the same speeds a Skootz but with about 80 mpg.
One thing you shouldn't be shocked by is that during the break in period I only got around 60 mpg but after that first only change it started to go up. Acceleration got better too or I was just getting more confident who knows.
brettro

Post by brettro »

some others may disagree with me, but...

note that just because it'll do 60-65 comfortably doesn't mean that you'll want to take it on the freeway. i don't feel comfortable taking mine on the freeway.
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

Glad there's going to be another Pierce Countyian joining the Buddy ranks. Love my 150. It's got about 700 miles on it so far, and averaging about 73 mpg. (Some of that might be my competitive streak, trying to defend scooter honor coming off the line at lights.)

Closest Genuine dealer is Kent Kawasaki. I've been happy with them. They've got a lot in stock, at least last time I was there. If you want to drive it back from Kent, just take 99.

Probably your wife has taken an MSF class already, but if not, Puget Sound safety is good. They've started offering scooter only MSF classes too. I think June's full up, but they've got a September option.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

brettro wrote:some others may disagree with me, but...

note that just because it'll do 60-65 comfortably doesn't mean that you'll want to take it on the freeway. i don't feel comfortable taking mine on the freeway.
:+!: I don't disagree with you at all. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
brettro wrote:some others may disagree with me, but...

:+!: I don't disagree with you at all. :)
ditto

Mikeybel

150 buddy

Post by Mikeybel »

I love my Black jack 150, still breaking her in (600 mi.) I took it on the Interstate 91 over the weekend for a short burst and cruised @ 70 mph. The windscreen helps at this speed. I peeled off the highway after 5 miles cause I didn't want to keep the throttle pinned during the break-in. With every hundred more miles I log towards hitting 1,000 the bike just impresses me more and more. After a 2 hour ride up into VT my ears ring. Even the Harley group I bumped into were into the scoot's sound and looks. The adjustable rear suspension came in handy for the bumpy back roads. I have looked into Buddys for 3 years now and am glad I waited for this fun little scooter! :D
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I too went from a Honda Metro to an '08 Buddy 150 St Tropez..... I haven't looked back! OK so the fuel consuption is higher, BIG DEAL Ummm.... my 7 mile commuite at 80mpg as apposed to 110mpg, in the grand scheme of things is it any biggie?? No matter which scoot I ride I get to my destination wearing a smile, and a few bugs..... After a lousy day at work I get home 'decompressed'
Oh yeah, because of being able to go faster on the Bud I'm usually wearing a few more bugs!! :lol:
SamMax

Post by SamMax »

When I lived in philly I was getting about 85... now in the burbs.. at mileage 444 I filled her up 1.1 gals... then at 562 I put in 1.2....don't know if that is a one time fluke but I liked it :)
“I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security.
Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad.
Otherwise what is there to defend?”~Robert Redford
Taz

Post by Taz »

I have a 150. It just turned 600 miles. It gets almost the same exact mileage as my Kymco Agility 125; 70-72mpg. Keep in mind this is REAL mpg not what the incredibly optimistic speedo/odometer says. If I believed that I would believe my Buddy would run 75+mph. It lies as much as the odometer lies.

I calculated my mileage using the GPS odometer function which is far more accurate than the odometer on the Buddy. Unlike the Justgottascoot review, my Buddy is off closer to 15% which is as bad as my Kymco.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

I am almost 3000 miles and I average 80 mpg. Cruise in the 40-50 range and I weigh 180.
walky08

Post by walky08 »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Good move! I have a 2008 St. Tropez and LOVE it! I can cruise at anywhere up to 65mph quite comfortably. Probably spend most of my time at around 50-55 though. My personal high speed record is 70 but I don't really care to go that fast.

As for MPG I'm averaging just over 75mpg as you can see from my signature. That seems to be improving and I think will average out at around 78 eventually.

All in all I have to say my scooter is both incredibly fun and dependable, in which ever order you prefer. I think your wife will find it to be quite a comfortable transition from her present scooter to the International.

PICTURE, please..
Lookin' To Scoot

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

You'll find pictures of many scooters in the Gallery section of Modern Buddy.

forum8.html
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

walky08 wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Good move! I have a 2008 St. Tropez and LOVE it! I can cruise at anywhere up to 65mph quite comfortably. Probably spend most of my time at around 50-55 though. My personal high speed record is 70 but I don't really care to go that fast.

PICTURE, please..
Here's mine...