Thinking of getting my wife a Buddy 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KCScooterDude

Thinking of getting my wife a Buddy 50

Post by KCScooterDude »

Of course, I will play around with it once I get it. Anyone de-restrict and add performance parts? Curious about your experience.

Oh, and yes - I know it will void the warranty and will have to be registered as a motorcycle once the upgrades are done.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Hello,

I have a Buddy 50 that is derestricted. After break-in mines doin about 40-45 on the flats but I weigh 200lb. On steap Hills I'm lucky to be doing 30mph by the time I reach the top, so not so good on steap hills. As for the performance upgrades and registering it as a motorcycle, I know that my dealer said that once I get the kit not to try cause they just won't register it as a motorcycle or a moped at that point, so I'm just going to continue to register it as a moped after the kits installed. I'm getting ready to put the stage one kit on it at the end of June, but I'm gonna wait till my warranty is up to throw the 70cc kit on it.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
TVB

Post by TVB »

I had the dealer derestrict mine, and they registered it as a moped, so I'm innocent (or at least not-guilty) on that point until Flash's registration expires in 2012. :wink:

After 500 miles I can easily reach 40mph (the speedo says 45) except up hills or into a strong headwind. That's with a 215-pound cargo. With careful, gradual acceleration and a little tailwind I've passed 45mph. That's as fast as I want Flash to go, so that's all I've done to soup him up.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I don’t know anything about the Buddy 50, except what I’ve read on this forum and everything seems positive – look at what a member Stunt50 does with his.
What I do know is; it is only a good, very good thing to get your wife a scooter!
jcmbruce

Our Buddy 50's

Post by jcmbruce »

hi, my girlfriend and I just bought a Buddy 50 for each of us. So far they've been deristricted, dead lights to driving lights and replaced headlight with Sliver Star 65w bulb. My top speed is between 45-50 on a flat road with no wind, but mt girlfriends Buddy gets to 50. There's a 30lb difference in weight between us, I attribute it to that. I just ordered the performance kit this morning :lol: and I'll let you know what it does. I weigh 150lbs so I'm hoping with this upgrade, I'll at least be able to keep up with her :cry: , and/or reach 55mph. Malossi cylinder kit is next. I've been told that with the low atmosphere around here, I don't need to change the carb and with this set up I'll have a lot more power for the hills and be able to gain a few top end mph...we'll see.
The journey is the reward
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Just curious. Why did you decide on a 50? Don't you and your wife plan to ride together? Wouldn't a 125/150 be a better choice for her while you are on your Blur?
Lastyearsyou

Post by Lastyearsyou »

Dooglas wrote:Just curious. Why did you decide on a 50? Don't you and your wife plan to ride together? Wouldn't a 125/150 be a better choice for her while you are on your Blur?
I was thinking the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I love my new Buddy 50. If I had to keep up with anything bigger though, I'd be pretty upset that I had a measly 50. I've only had my 50 for a week and I am already daydreaming about a 125/150. If I had the cash to buy bigger and get the motorcycle endorsement I definitely would have done it.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Dooglas wrote:Just curious. Why did you decide on a 50? Don't you and your wife plan to ride together? Wouldn't a 125/150 be a better choice for her while you are on your Blur?
#1 Why a 50?
Aerosmith, None Other.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

She has very little riding experience. She wants one to be able to go to the grocery store, etc., and around the neighborhood. Her mom lives close. She isn't comfortable riding the Blur because of the riding height. She's talked about getting one for her mother too.

I want to start her out on the 50cc and if that's all she wants, and maybe her mom gets one - great. If she really gets into it, then we might go with a 125 or 150 sometime in the future. I doubt her mom would want anything more than the 50cc, so she could inherit the Buddy 50.

I'd also like her to have something she could take to a rally. I think she'd really enjoy it.

Also, we have a baby, so the chances to ride together are slim for now. I like the idea of tricking the thing out performancewise too.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

KCScooterDude wrote:
She has very little riding experience. She wants one to be able to go to the grocery store, etc., and around the neighborhood. Her mom lives close. She isn't comfortable riding the Blur because of the riding height. She's talked about getting one for her mother too.

I want to start her out on the 50cc and if that's all she wants, and maybe her mom gets one - great. If she really gets into it, then we might go with a 125 or 150 sometime in the future. I doubt her mom would want anything more than the 50cc, so she could inherit the Buddy 50.

I'd also like her to have something she could take to a rally. I think she'd really enjoy it.

Also, we have a baby, so the chances to ride together are slim for now. I like the idea of tricking the thing out performancewise too.

:D Makes sense to me
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

KCScooterDude wrote:She has very little riding experience. She wants one to be able to go to the grocery store, etc., and around the neighborhood. Her mom lives close.
My SO learned to ride on a 125 Buddy. I don't think there is anything about size or behavior of the 125 that makes it less suitable for a learning rider (but you probably know that already).
KCScooterDude wrote: I like the idea of tricking the thing out performancewise too.
Ahh, now we get to the actual heart of the model selection. Wouldn't the narrow power band and high rpms be more of a challenge for a beginning rider?
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Well, ya'll didn't mention anything about the fact that a 50 doesn't require a license whereas as 125 would require she get a MC license. While I personally think the MSF course was great and everyone should take it....it might freak some folks out thinking they'd have to learn how to change gears and take a test!

From my own personal experience....I too started out on a 50cc thinking just like the OP's wife. Just gonna run to the grocery store and kick around the neighborhood. Well, that lasted all of about 8 weeks before I wanted to go faster and farther. In retrospect, I wish I'd gotten the 125 to start with. That way, I would have been forced to take the MSF from the git-go and learned up front how to be a safer road rider. Riding a scooter on the roads is a hellava lot different from riding an enduro motorcycle thru the woods, which had been my only previous experience. And while it was a good one...it didn't teach me how to look out for cars and things that could run into me. On a dirt bike, you only gotta worry about hitting trees and other stationary things. :wink:

I'd tell her to go for the 125.....and save yourself a little money 'cause that's what you're gonna end up with when it's all said and done. Trust me on this! :lol:
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Of course, not having to get a motorcycle license to operate would be nice.

I see what you are all saying about going for the bigger engine. Heck, I love my Blur, but I still wish I had a 250. Where does it end? (actually, that's why I also have a motorcycle. I've come to the conclusion, though, that the 150cc scooter is perfect for commuting).

I probably want the 50cc to play around with - selfish reasons. I've also never owned a two-stroke.

Believe me, if she gets into it and wants a bigger scooter I would be elated. I think she and her mom would be less intimidated by the 50cc version, though. In fact, I don't see her mom going for a bigger scooter ever, but I could be wrong.

Your coments are helpful, thanks!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

KCScooterDude wrote:Of course, not having to get a motorcycle license to operate would be nice.
Now here I disagree. Going through the MSF training and licensing is exactly what every new rider should do as they acquire the skills and experience that will lead to years of safe riding and good fun. IMO the scooter is really secondary to the skills and confidence level of the rider.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Everybody will tell you to get her the 125, not the 50. Everyone but me!

I like how I did it: got the 50. Took the MSF. Rode some, got some experience. Took the test and got my license. Sold the 50 and got the 125. All in less than a year and I had never ridden before.

And that was the key for me. I approached this all very cautiously being a brand new rider. I knew I wanted it and had dreamed about it for years but I needed to take it slowly and methodically.

If you told me I had to get an mc license first, it never would've happened.
so tough, so pink
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

I scanned this really quickly and read, "Thinking about getting a wife instead of a Buddy 50"

Big Difference.
jasondavis48108

Well, as rad as the MSF course was, I didn't really feel like it was the best fit for scooter riders. Maybe that was cause I'd been ridein the Buddy for about a year b4 I took it but man was switching from motorcycle to scooter to motorcycle, ect confusing! I did get alot of good info out of it and I had alot of fun, but I have to agree w/ Cholefpuff, if I had taken the MSF course b4 I got the scoot I wouldn't have bought the scoot. The most valuable info I got from the msf course was that the Harely 883 iron that I'd been drueling over for months was not going to suit me very well for 95% of the riding I do. Motorcycles are a pain in the butt in the city. Twist and gos rule when it comes to stop and go traffic. That is what I learned from the msf course. Now b4 anyone gets upset, I am very glad I took the course, I learned alot about being in traffic and they did teach me alot of useful stuff, but I could have learned that stuff just as well in a scooter specific course and not had to use the motorcycle with the wonky clutch and all the shifting and we hardly ever got out of second gear, and well now I'm just venting but yyou get the point. I think the msf course was awesome, but I think that many folks (including myself and my wife) needed a good reason to take the course and the scoot rekindeld my interest in motorbikes of all kinds so the 50 is the reason why I took the course in the first place. Moral of this story 50s rock! I could go the rest of my life ridein nothin but 50s and I'd be perfectly happy (so long as I could mod'em) :D FUN! FUN! FUN!
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

^I took the MSF on a scooter so I wouldn't have to screw around with shifting stuff. It was PITA because I to go out of town consecutive nights during the work week and it really wore me down. But no one else offered a scooter for class.
so tough, so pink
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Dooglas wrote:
KCScooterDude wrote:Of course, not having to get a motorcycle license to operate would be nice.
Now here I disagree. Going through the MSF training and licensing is exactly what every new rider should do as they acquire the skills and experience that will lead to years of safe riding and good fun. IMO the scooter is really secondary to the skills and confidence level of the rider.
Yeah, but she's not going to invest that much in it until she knows whether she likes it or not. I'd want her to take the course if she seriously got into riding, but if she doesn't take to it we won't be out much money unloading the Buddy. Knowing her and her mom, I'm pretty sure my wife and especailly my mother-in-law would be perfectly happy with the 50 for long enough to make it worthwhile. Excluding work, both can do just about anything they need in the neighborhood (gym, coffee, grocery store, Target, etc.) on the 50cc). At the least, I'd be able to play around with teh 50cc 2 stroke if I wanted.

On the other hand, if she wants a 125 or 150, then that's what we'll do.
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

KCScooterDude wrote: Excluding work, both can do just about anything they need in the neighborhood (gym, coffee, grocery store, Target, etc.) on the 50cc.
Well, one last thing to consider.....What sort of traffic will be she driving in whilst going to the "gym, coffee, grocery store, Target, etc.". If the traffic regularly is going 45-50 on the roads she will travel, there's the safety factor to consider. On a 50cc, she'll have a hard time not being a PITA to the cagers. There's pros and cons to both sides of this issue. Everyone has an opinion!! But as I said earlier....she'll either love it or hate it. Either way, you're gonna be selling a 50cc scoot real soon. You can still drive slowly on a 125. :) And as for the physical size of the scoot....not a big difference between the two.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

OScoot! wrote:
KCScooterDude wrote: Excluding work, both can do just about anything they need in the neighborhood (gym, coffee, grocery store, Target, etc.) on the 50cc.
Well, one last thing to consider.....What sort of traffic will be she driving in whilst going to the "gym, coffee, grocery store, Target, etc.". If the traffic regularly is going 45-50 on the roads she will travel, there's the safety factor to consider. On a 50cc, she'll have a hard time not being a PITA to the cagers. There's pros and cons to both sides of this issue. Everyone has an opinion!! But as I said earlier....she'll either love it or hate it. Either way, you're gonna be selling a 50cc scoot real soon. You can still drive slowly on a 125. :) And as for the physical size of the scoot....not a big difference between the two.
That's the thing. It's all 25 mph roads, maybe just a little 35 mph. The only 40 or 45 she would encounter, if any, would be crossing at a light.

I haven't ruled out a 125 though.
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

KCScooterDude wrote:On the other hand, if she wants a 125 or 150, then that's what we'll do.

Well, when you get right down to it....what SHE wants is really all that matters. We're all just trying to "tell our own stories" from each of our own perspectives. Everyone is different. A lot depends on her own personality and traits. Is she adventurous? Is she willing to step outside her comfort levels? Is she up for a bit of a challenge? Or does she usually take a more safe & cautious approach to life? That all plays a part in her decision ... which, should totally be HERS!

Me....I'm an adventurous "old woman"...who loves the fact that at almost 60 I can still live life to the fullest. Some of my friends think I'm crazy. Others think it's a hoot. I'm just saying that I had the same thoughts your wife and her mother are having. And after riding the 50 cc for about 500 miles (in just a few months), I wanted more. And you'll take a big hit on the resale value for those first few hundred miles. If money is no object....then what the heck. The whole point is just to HAVE FUN! Good luck on whichever way you go. Just be sure your wife gets to read all these posts! :lol:
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

I like the Buddy 50-
It really is a very different beast from my 125.
It is suitable for anywhere you might ride a bicycle (if you ride seriously-in traffic), understanding that you slow down a lot on hills.

It is fun, though.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
jasondavis48108

I have found that the trick to getting up the hills is to get going as fast as possible before the hill. If you can get up to 45mph before the hill then by the time you get to the top you'll be doing 30-35mph. god forbid you get stuck at a light at the bottom of a hill on a 50:) Then your lucky to be doing 25 by the time you hit the top and there are some p.o.'d folks behind you if there isn't room to safely let them pass. Oh the joys of a 50, I've heard the stage 1 kit helps somewhat with this mildly annoying characteristic. Still, all in all the 50 is an awesome little machine. I was thinking about getting something bigger next spring, but now I'm leaning tword a moped :D Who knows really, thats so far away.
TVB

Post by TVB »

jasondavis48108 wrote:god forbid you get stuck at a light at the bottom of a hill on a 50:) Then your lucky to be doing 25 by the time you hit the top and there are some p.o.'d folks behind you if there isn't room to safely let them pass.
To get above 25, I get off and push. ;)
jasondavis48108

TVB I thought that a useful upgrade for the 50 would be to have a pet monkey, you could train the monkey to ride the scooter and then when you needed to get the scooter up the hill fast you could get off and walk and let the monkey ride it up the hill, this mod would gain you at least 5-10mph I'm sure of it :D
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

chloefpuff wrote:Everybody will tell you to get her the 125, not the 50. Everyone but me!
and me :clap: I would tell you to get both :P

50's are great in their element. MrsBuzz just got her 125 and is already looking for a 50 for the beach. Right now we're hauling her 125 so she can ride with me on my 50 whenever we dont ride the Burgman to the beach. If she gets a beachbuzzer it'll definately be a 50.

:rofl: I love this scooter addiction