Advice on painting?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Milehibuddy

Advice on painting?

Post by Milehibuddy »

If anyone has any advice on painting the Buddy's please tell me your thoughts.
I have the Orange and Brown Buddy.

No disrespect to the Cleveland Browns fans, but I have to get rid of all the Brown and repaint those areas Blue.

I do not want something to look like a bad spray job. I want it look like it came that way from the factory.
My biggest concern is the wear areas. The last thing I want is for it to chip or peel away after a short time.
I am the mechanical type, but my finese skills are not the best.

Would you recomend taking all the brown parts off to paint? Leave them on and tape? What type of paint for a do it yourself that will adhere and look great? What is the best prep and process?

Many Thanks!
Bronco Buddy
dsleedesign

Post by dsleedesign »

I have painted many scooters and motorcycles.

Which parts are brown?

These twist and go scooters are VERY EASY to PAINT.

I would take it to a autobody place. They can probably paint your parts for a couple hundred. Will look like factory.

I have a black buddy and I am going to paint the black gloss and silver parts.
Milehibuddy

Painting

Post by Milehibuddy »

The Brown parts are all the "riders cabin"parts that are matt black on yours. The Orange parts on mine are the gloss parts on your beautiful Black one.
I want to paint the rear mudd fender, front wheel side covers, glove box area, under the headset,ect.
I did find blue grips and want the seat recovered.
Many Thanks!
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

I'd like to do some painting as well (not a browns or bengals fan), but i think I'd like to get a custom floorboard first. Anyone know if they make replacements for the mat that came stock? I would like a chrome looking floor board.
dsleedesign

Post by dsleedesign »

Hold on then.... those parts are molded plastic and are really close to your feet.

What I would do is order new parts from a black one and use those. I originally thought about doing the Orange/Black look but I already have another scooter with that theme (it looks damn good).

These plastic panels should cost you less then $200 as well. For my Vino 125 I could have gottten completely new body panels for $230. - That cost includes the whole outer body.
sparty

Post by sparty »

I scratched a few panels from my crash last week and the dealer is having some trouble getting the parts from Genuine. Does anyone have any suggestion for touch-up/spray on paint for the orange Buddy? I would like to touch it up until my dealer gets the parts..
northgardener

Krylon Fusion Paint for Plastics

Post by northgardener »

You might try the referenced paint. I understand it is in gloss, has the color "pumpkin" which I expect is close to the Buddy color, and is specifically designed for plastics. I intend to try in when my Buddy is delivered in a few weeks.
sparty

Post by sparty »

Where can I find this "referenced paint"? I think I might have missed the reference somewhere.