animals I've almost hit

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kazigami

animals I've almost hit

Post by kazigami »

The other day I came within a few inches of a bird hitting my helmet while doing 35mph. I almost hit a squirrel a few months ago as well. It ran across the street and turned back at the last second. When I stopped the scooter after getting to work there was some hairs in my front tire! I hope animals will try to kill them selves AWAY from my scooter :(
laxer

Post by laxer »

Everything is attracted to a scooter. I had a bird smack into my headlight last summer, dead.
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

Today I had a chipmunk (one of the cutest creatures on the planet IMO) run out in front of me. A quick mirror check showed no cars behind so I let off the throttle, hoping the little fella would make it across the road before I ran him over. I needn't have worried. He turned tail just before he reached the center of my lane and ran back where he came from :D
Vic

Post by Vic »

Birds! I don't know what the deal is but it seems birds are attracted to my path. I only had one that I actually made contact with, I don't know what happened to the bird, we just kind of brushed each other.

-v
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

yeah, +1 on the birds... stupid birds always swooping down on you...

I killed a mockingbird with my scooter the other day, first animal I have ever hit on a scooter OR in the cage. Unless you count
the occassional rogue frog, but you can't really tell in the car if you hit them or they went between the tires. Other than that,
I have had dogs run at me and one cat (which made me wreck, but at least I missed it). oh yeah, and a coyote, but I wasn't
close enough to hit it really, I just slowed down and it ran across the road.
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

its deer and turkeys you gotta watch for over here. Though you might get a nice thanksgiving dinner if you play your cards right.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Yesterday was crazy with near-misses, all in the space of about half an hour. First there was the squirrel who ran right in front of me; if I hadn't braked he probably would've been dead meat. A little while later there was a rabbit; he noticed me and reversed direction. Finally I came upon this snapping turtle (he's about a foot wide) almost to the middle of my lane; he was easy enough to swerve around, but the street was kind of busy for a rural road, so I stopped and shooed him (with a couple of tries to bite me) back into the field he'd come from.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

It may be our small size that confuses them. I live near a pond and two ducks flew so close that I had to duck...ha ha...to miss them. It was mating season and they get really crazy during that time.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
Vic

Post by Vic »

I also helped a turtle earlier this year, but I didn't almost hit the little guy. He was about the size of a dinnerplate and on the double yellow line. I just picked him up and put him on the side of the road that he was heading towards. He wasn't very grateful, but it was my good deed for mother nature for the day.

I hope I never hit anything with my scooter, that would seriously suck.

I didn't know central Ohio had wild turkeys until I was driving to work last fall and saw a group of about 3 or 4 (?) On the side of the road near a somewhat forested area. Surprised me so much I damned near drove off the side of the road! It was pretty cool though.

We have deer, of course, around here and I am really paranoid about them. I have seen what they do to a car, I can just imagine what happens on a scooter. A friend told us about how he was in a collision with a deer, he woke up a long time later and got up and rode the rest of the way home. I try to always remember if you see one deer there are probably more around somewhere so slow way down and keep your eyes peeled.

-v
TVB

Post by TVB »

Vic wrote:I also helped a turtle earlier this year, but I didn't almost hit the little guy. He was about the size of a dinnerplate and on the double yellow line. I just picked him up and put him on the side of the road that he was heading towards. He wasn't very grateful, but it was my good deed for mother nature for the day.
Depending on what kind of turtle he was, that could've turned out badly for you. Snappers have been known to remove fingers.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

yesterday on my hairpins turns as little lizard ran out in front of me. He was quick and got out of the way. I think I'd be pretty shaken up if I killed something on my scooter. Yesterday it was a butterfly and that felt wrong but then later in the ride a bee landed on my face shield and it appeared like he as trying to figure out how to get into my helmet. It was very distracting and I had to pull over and ask another scooterist to get it off my mask. It as icky!
Tenchi

Watch out for deer! Rotten jaywalkers!

Post by Tenchi »

Almost hit one on the local hillside, it cross quickly in front of me as I turned a blind corner, I hit the brakes, and stopped five feet from its intended path. . Within seconds, another one followed the first across the road. They always seem to have company on their strolls, so watch out for #2 in the series. Also almost hit a wild turkey once. 101 proof..... :lol:
kazigami

Post by kazigami »

I've almost hit drunks a few times. Some seem to almost want the smack!
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

What would I do with my commute if it weren't for pondering the psychology of squirrels? I had four of them mess with me on one morning trip a couple of weeks ago! A record for me I think.

- jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

i came within a few feet of an adult sized possum on saturday night.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

TVB wrote:Yesterday was crazy with near-misses, all in the space of about half an hour. First there was the squirrel who ran right in front of me; if I hadn't braked he probably would've been dead meat. A little while later there was a rabbit; he noticed me and reversed direction. Finally I came upon this snapping turtle (he's about a foot wide) almost to the middle of my lane; he was easy enough to swerve around, but the street was kind of busy for a rural road, so I stopped and shooed him (with a couple of tries to bite me) back into the field he'd come from.
I would hate to lose that snapper--he's a cool looking dude!

I stopped and parked my scoot in the middle of a four lane roadway (inside lane) to grab a turtle and take him across the road. Traffic just piled up at first and then, when they realized what I was doing, started moving around me in the other lane. I got back on after my good deed and took off!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I got severely freaked out by a deer on my ride from Philly to NYC last year. I didn't hit it, it didn't hit me, but I had to sit and take a breather at a gas station. And, that's the story of how I got lost in New Jersey for two hours. :oops:

I've also encountered many city kitties, but luckily I've never hit one (I <333 kittehs). Cats also like to run around in little litters, especially in the spring, so watch out for a kitten's friend when you see one cross your path.
ModBud #442
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

about 15 years ago, i was on a two-lane highway in alabama at night and a deer walked out into the opposing lane. as i swerved to miss it, it bucked and hopped into my lane. The head went straight through my driver's side window as i was leaning into the passenger seat. Talk about your life flashing before your eyes. true story.
louie

Post by louie »

verdecalavera wrote:....bla bla...bla..bla...life flashing before your eyes. true story.
tedd? tedd? really?
easy

Post by easy »

just got back from Chattanooga TN 88 miles rnd trip. Alot of it was very narrow 2 lane that follows the Tennessee River. 1 doe 2 or 3 turtles and lost count of the squirrels . Doe walked across the road abt 100 ft in front of me. It was a nice ride. Almost forgot abt the goats went ard curve and the road was full of goats. Down shifted to 1st (06 Chetak) and they went back toward their pen
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

louie wrote:
verdecalavera wrote:....bla bla...bla..bla...life flashing before your eyes. true story.
tedd? tedd? really?
that's true, i was on my way to auburn. i had to ride the rest of the way to auburn then all the way back to birmingham without a window in the middle of february.
skidad

Post by skidad »

As a new rider (2008) after reading the Minnesota Safety Manual that touched on animals It said; Slow down when approaching an animal to gauge the reaction, then when clear speed away.A week later on a ride into work @ 5:30 In the morning a 1/2 German Shepherd 1/2 Black Lab came running up to me,I slowed down,then sped up just enough to keep him interested for 2 blocks or so.looked in my rearview to see the dog's owner running down the street In his Bathrobe!!! Pretty Funny !!
Witch

Post by Witch »

On my first little scoot, a Razz, I had a squirrel literally run under my floorboard while I was riding. Scared the crap out of me, made me yelp. That scoot was small enough that even a squirrel would have been enough to knock me over if I'd hit it.

On my Scarabeo 50, I came fairly close to hitting an extremely large jackrabbit (at least a good 10 pounds), and a roadrunner, both in the same day. Didn't see any coyotes following either of them. :wink: Good thing too, as I was doing about 60 so the margin of error for swerving or braking would have been pretty small.
shahdhch

Post by shahdhch »

On one of my first long rides. I almost hit a turkey. I seen it standing on the side of the road and for some reason he decided to go across and I had to come to a quick stop to avoid him.
I once shot a man just to watch him die. Then I got distracted and missed it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

This morning on the way to work, I almost could've hit a deer. I was on one of the main streets through my part of town and dutifully keeping my eyes on the road, when I noticed something moving off to the side ahead of me. Through some trees and shrubs and couple parked SUVs I could see a deer (I'm guessing a yearling, but I'm neither a zoologist nor a hunter), somewhat agitatedly bounding across the large lawn, in the general direction of the street. Where I was going to be in a second or two. I braked from 30 to about 15 as a precaution (no one tailgating me), and saw him halt and turn to run into the next yard. (Did the buzz of my bike spook him?) From there I lost sight of him.

A deer in this neighborhood is somewhat surprising, because it's not as if I was cruising through Mayberry. East Grand Rapids is no Manhattan either, but this was only about 3 miles from the center of the city, with the nearest undeveloped land that isn't a park another 2-3 miles out. So Flag here was a bit out of place. I guess the lesson is: expect the unexpected.
Last edited by TVB on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

There's a stretch of the Coastal Highway in southern Delaware between Dewey Beach and Bethany Beach that divides the turtle habitat on the bay side from it's nesting grounds on the ocean side. There have been numerous attempts to slow the migtration, low snow fencing & run-off barriers that may slow them down but it doesnt stop them. There are Turtle Crossing signs posted but the poor buggers get crushed all to frequently. I stopped last weekend to help one, about the size of the one TVB posted, safely cross. She didnt seem to happy with the assist unless hissing is their way of saying thank-you, but it's their natural right and my duty to preserve. She wasnt aggressive and a gentle nudge with the boot was all she needed :wink:

There was a post earlier this spring on the Burgman BB from a local guy who had a close encounter with a Turkey Vulture at speed on his 650. His windshield was demolished and he took a pretty good hit to the helmet & shoulders but maintained control and stopped safely - no sign of the bird afterwards. Not 2 weeks following that report I had a near miss with one of those creatures. He was picking away at a carcuss and I think he was a startled as I was when he jumped up and spread his wings - those things are huge up close :shock:

I did have one low flying robin make a kamikazi run at me on the Burgman - poor little follow :headache:
etak

Post by etak »

verdecalavera wrote:that's true, i was on my way to auburn. i had to ride the rest of the way to auburn then all the way back to birmingham without a window in the middle of february.
Was the deer and his head also still with you? :shock: There's a beginning and end to this story, but it seems to be missing a middle!
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

i remember tons of deer When I lived Mio Mi just incredible any way just a memory havent been back since 86 still have a few freinds from highschool still there. I think im just rambling.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Only three houses down from mine heading to the store tonight...bat decides my headlight is a prime bug hunting ground. I'm glad to know my reflexes are still up to snuff. :lol:

"I was wondering why that acorn was getting bigger...then it hit me."