windshield

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScooterQueenTucson

windshield

Post by ScooterQueenTucson »

Does any one have a windshield on a buddy 125? If so what do you like or dislike about it. Thinking of getting one on my buddy 125.
thanks
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Here's a scoot66 slipstreamer windshield my dad put on his pamplona. I installed this myself and it works great for him.

topic8795.html

There's lots of pictures, mostly blurry because they're up close, and my cell phone cant focus unless I stand rock solid still.
ScooterQueenTucson

How does your Dad's like it. How does it handly with windy and high speeds?
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

I have the Genuine small windshield on my '07 125.
I like the way it cuts the wind off my chest on cooler days, obviously? :roll:
Also supposedly gives better MPGs and MPH's because of streamlining,
and it's mount extends my mirrors out further past my arms.

I don't like how close the upper edge is to my face, so I've put auto door edge moulding around the edges.
Don't know how much that helps, but it makes me feel a bit easier that the edges are not quite as sharp... :shock:

I usually take the windshield off in the middle of the really hot summer months. 8)

And that is probably all there really is to know about the Genuine smaller windshield......... :lol:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
ScooterQueenTucson

Thanks. Why do you take it off in the summer?
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

I do not know about the Buddy windscreen but I had the small windscreen on the LX150 and it of course did nothing but was for looks.

I have the larger one on my ET4. It does make me go faster and it is easier to smoke while riding as I can put my lit cigarette behind it. Downside is the noise. I am 6'1" and the wind hits me in the face coming off the windscreen.

peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I have the slip streamer 66 as well. Since I ride in all conditions but ice, I like windsheilds for the wind, cold and rain protection. I have had no issues with getting knocked around in high winds, and I think my gas mileage may be better. I was thinking I would take it off when it gets warmer but since I wear a full face helmet anyway, I am not going to be catching much breeze...although if I want I can crack the helmet shield and still get wind in my face.

Also it was a miracle I finally got it on tight, so I don't want to mess with perfection by taking it off and trying to put it back on in the fall.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I had a cuppini style from Scooterworks. It is very stream lined and at 5'9" it pushed the air into my throat and face. It was very uncomfortable. Sold it and bought the Standard windshield from Scooterworks and it is less stream line and has a more up right postion and pushes the wind over my head and allows me to see over the windshield and I like it very much. Best part it is cheaper then the cuppini. Get them at Scooterworks or Scooterwest. Happy riding!
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
pairofscoots

Post by pairofscoots »

My wife and I both have windshields on our scoots. I had mine first and she wanted to see what it was like. After one ride I could tell she wanted one so I went out and bought her one. They definitely help break the wind and cold. I haven't had any problems in high winds. Here is a pic :D
Attachments
DSCN0958.JPG
DSCN0958.JPG (88.51 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

My dad seems to like the windshield alot, I myself have ridden his bike a few times, I dont notice any handling difference at all on high speeds, low speed you can feel a slight sail because it's a huge piece of plastic deflecting wind.
fretman

Post by fretman »

I've got a medium Genuine shield on my 150. I like it, and I feel safer with it. It deflects wind and rain, which makes for a calmer ride at speed, and also deflects cigarette butts, pebbles, and other u.f.o.'s. Looks great too!
You know scooter is scooter!
sherides

Post by sherides »

I just installed the short windshield on my 125 today. My first impressions on my first ride were that it indeed kept the wind off of my chest, something that I think I will enjoy on faster and cooler rides. I am short, 5'2", and it did seem to direct the air up and over my head. I didn't feel claustrophobic as some have mentioned, but it was a different feeling to have that piece of plastic there.
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

I put a medium Prima windscreen on last year and really like it a lot. Here's a link to the "makeover" on my Buddy and you can see the windscreen. I agree that it gives you protection...adds just a wee bit to the top speed and keeps the cold off in lower temps. Adversely...it also keeps the cooling breeze down in the heat of summer, but they're also pretty easy to take off I think. I haven't removed mine as yet.

topic10528.html
Vic

Post by Vic »

I have the one from Genuine that is pictured on this thread several times. I like riding behind a windscreen, I just find it more comfortable, I get fewer bugs on my jacket to clean off and I don't feel like I have to hang on quite so much. Personally, I have not noticed the sail effect that some folks experience from a windscreen, except before the windscreen I felt like the sail. Maybe I am just wider and have more for the wind to grab on to than they do... :wink:

With the topcase it also helps to balance the look of my scooter (before the windscreen with the topcase it looked like my scooter had a ginormous ass. :roll: )

-v
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

Dibber wrote:I had a cuppini style from Scooterworks. It is very stream lined and at 5'9" it pushed the air into my throat and face. It was very uncomfortable. Sold it and bought the Standard windshield from Scooterworks and it is less stream line and has a more up right postion and pushes the wind over my head and allows me to see over the windshield and I like it very much. Best part it is cheaper then the cuppini. Get them at Scooterworks or Scooterwest. Happy riding!
Are you a man or a woman? The reason I'm asking is that I'm also 5'9" and was thinking of getting the Cuppini but don't want the experience you had with it pushing the wind into my throat. If you're a female then I'll probably have the same problem but if you're a man it might be different; my torso is considerably shorter than a man of the same height.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Do you know,will the PUIG Touring windscreen(below) fit the buddy.I know it fits a variety of scooters with top headlight.Puig makes 3 screens,I had one on my Derbi Boulevard(One without headlight cut out) a few years ago.It really cut thru the wind really nice and even raised my top speed.
Aerosmith, None Other.
aerogirl7

Post by aerogirl7 »

I've been riding with the medium Prima windshield for over two years now and I love it. At higher speeds it seems to give better stability and also collects most of the grime kicked up off the road so your clothing doesn't have to. If you ride in cold weather, I'd say it's a definite must.

~S
At midnight, I'll turn into a pumpkin and drive away in my glass slipper. ~Roman Holiday
kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

I've got the Genuine Buddy windshield and I think it adds some stability. The thing I don't like is that it puts all the wind right into my face (wind noise) and I have to put in earplugs before putting my helmet on.
2008 Buddy 125 (sold)
2009 SYM RV250
1963 Karmann Ghia
moniraq

Post by moniraq »

I currently have the Genuine windscreen on my Buddy Italia. I'm about to pick up my new BLACKJACK (whoo-hoo) and I'm trying to decide if I want the windscreen on it.

I've never ridden without one as I had one installed when I bought my Italia. I recently saw a Buddy with the Prima windscreen and I liked the way it looked but I wondered about the space between the top of the handlebars and the windscreen. The Genuine windscreen has very little space open in that area. Has anyone noticed if that makes a difference?