Buddy 125 won't stay running - been awhile since she's been.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bicyclerider

Buddy 125 won't stay running - been awhile since she's been.

Post by bicyclerider »

Ridden.

anyone have any suggestions?
I just put a new battery in her, she starts right up, idles for a bit, but just won't stay running?
bad / Old Gas?

thanks
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

How many months? Could be bad gas, or a low idle.
A_Hunter

Post by A_Hunter »

It real sound like the carb and idle are the problem. So a fresh tank of gas is were I would start. Then check the air intake. The engine has to breath to run. From there, clean the carb and fuel lines. After that, time to go to the shop and let the pros have a go.
Hope this helps you .
bicyclerider

Post by bicyclerider »

I will add some gas...I think it's low idle....
I can get to that here:
topic4153.html

thanks everyone.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

be sure to check stator or coil, I had the same exact problem, played around with the fuel line for weeks and tried everything w/ the carb first. Should be covered if it hasn't been 2 years yet.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Do not add gas, drain old gas and refill. The carb needs to be pulled and cleaned. I would take it to your dealer :wink:
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

00ps
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bicyclerider

Post by bicyclerider »

got it....
took the air filter off, ran it for a bit....
took out some / most gas - added new Gas....
adjusted the idle screw....
a few fast laps around the blocks and she's good to go!

trued up my bicycle wheel / put the tire back on....
I am outa here for a 3 hour bike ride and then ready for an evening Scooter stroll....

I am almost a mechanic - NOT

thanks everyone....good stuff and good solutions.
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

00ps
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

iwabj wrote:Are these machines more sensitive to gas volatility decay (aka stale gas) than, lets say a 10hp riding lawn mower engine? I ask, cause I have had started enough of them after they sat for more than a season running with "stale" gas contained within them.
I'm with you. I think too many problems are blamed on "bad gas" or "stale gas". My answer would be that scooter engines are no more sensitive to this issue than outboard engines, lawn mower engines, or various other small gasoline engines. If a scooter (or any small engine) is going to sit for months then a dose of Stabil is certainly a good idea. However, blaming virtually every hard starting or rough running problem on stale gas is probably overdoing it. If you try to start a cold Buddy with a weak battery, for example, it is very likely you will flood the engine and foul the plug before it kicks over. In that case, very little to do with the condition of the gas.
A_Hunter

Post by A_Hunter »

Bad gas may not be the problem most of the time, thats true. But it is a good place to start for those new/not mechanically minded to start. It is also some thing that most people fix themselves. Only tool you really need is a siphen pump. Those are easy to find and cheap to buy. Beside it will be one less thing for the dealer to check if it comes to that. After all information is power.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I personally think bad/old gas is blamed for more problems than it really causes.

It's almost always the carb. If you don't ride regularly, it's gonna get gummed up or blocked as gas flows into the float chamber and then evaporates. Old Vespas had a fuel tap so you could turn the gas off and let it run to drain out the carb, if you knew you wouldn't be riding for a while.

That's why electronic fuel injection is growing in popularity on scooters, sadly it adds a couple hundred bucks to the price of a scooter and if it does break, it's expensive to fix (and not a DIY job.)
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.