Finding (Another) Scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pcbikedude

Finding (Another) Scooter

Post by pcbikedude »

My job just recently relocated me 9 miles further away from home. It's time to think about a larger scooter. WOT everyday in long stretches probably won't be too good for my little scooter.

Now the hard part. Which one to buy.

I test rode the SYM Citycom and RV250 this past weekend. Citycom I didn't like. It iwas fast off-the-line but lumbered through turns. It isn't very nimble. The RV250 was more nimble and real blast to ride.

Vespas are next test ride (GTS and GTV). I'll prossibly consider Suzuki Burgman, Yamaha VMax. Honda Silverwing-nah, Piaggio MP3-NO!
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
Kaos

Re: Finding (Another) Scooter

Post by Kaos »

pcbikedude wrote:My job just recently relocated me 9 miles further away from home. It's time to think about a larger scooter. WOT everyday in long stretches probably won't be too good for my little scooter.

Now the hard part. Which one to buy.

I test rode the SYM Citycom and RV250 this past weekend. Citycom I didn't like. It iwas fast off-the-line but lumbered through turns. It isn't very nimble. The RV250 was more nimble and real blast to ride.

Vespas are next test ride (GTS and GTV). I'll prossibly consider Suzuki Burgman, Yamaha VMax. Honda Silverwing-nah, Piaggio MP3-NO!
You don't say how long total your commute is, but I'll throw out there that I do 25 miles each way on a Buddy 125.... Its just rolled over 18k miles and still going strong.
Angela

Post by Angela »

I love the Vespa GTS 250.

Where do they have you working now?
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Kaos wrote: You don't say how long total your commute is, but I'll throw out there that I do 25 miles each way on a Buddy 125.... Its just rolled over 18k miles and still going strong.
The commute is now a hard 15 miles each way. Several steep hills with high speed limits. I just don't want to get run over by a dork in their Prius.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Angela wrote:I love the Vespa GTS 250.

I'm now at Sharp Hospital. I was at Grossmont.
Angela

Post by Angela »

pcbikedude wrote:

Ahhh yes. I am seeing why you want something heartier. Test ride the Vespa GTS 250, I really like it.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

[quote="Angela]Ahhh yes. I am seeing why you want something heartier. Test ride the Vespa GTS 250, I really like it.[/quote]

The RV250 maybe a hard act to follow. If I get a chance, I'll ride up to the Vespa store and take a look.
Animaetrix00

Post by Animaetrix00 »

Aww, good luck!
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

pcbikedude wrote: Vespas are next test ride (GTS and GTV). I'll prossibly consider Suzuki Burgman, Yamaha VMax. Honda Silverwing-nah, Piaggio MP3-NO!
I love mine!! sounds like a great fit for your ride :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If you're headed to the Vespa dealer, check out the Aprilia SportCity 250 and the Piaggio BV 250. The BV is particularly smart-looking (IMHO), $1200 less than the GTS, and pretty much identical on the inside. Of course, you can get an Aprilia Scarabeo 500 for about as much as a GTS Super. It's big, but it's beautiful.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

What about Kymco?
Aerosmith, None Other.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Or the HD200? (Freeway legal, and 75imph top speed, but no fun there, so that may be a deal killer).
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Gen. Magnus

Post by Gen. Magnus »

Syd wrote:Or the HD200? (Freeway legal, and 75imph top speed, but no fun there, so that may be a deal killer).
The HD200 is only like 160-some cc though. :( I have an RV250 and love her! She'll be good to you if you pick one up. Just beware, she has a fat ass - when getting her onto the center stand she can be really heavy some days.
"Scootering. Fun in the sun cause I'm scootering. Playing ska on my walkman. Scootering with a friend of mine today." - Scootering, The Invaders

Mad Toto Scooter Club of Kansas City
Angela

Post by Angela »

ericalm wrote:If you're headed to the Vespa dealer, check out the Aprilia SportCity 250 and the Piaggio BV 250. The BV is particularly smart-looking (IMHO), $1200 less than the GTS, and pretty much identical on the inside. Of course, you can get an Aprilia Scarabeo 500 for about as much as a GTS Super. It's big, but it's beautiful.
The Vespa san Diego dealer only has Vespas. He would need to go all the way up to Oceanside to see other kinds.

I like the BV as well. The boyfriend is interested in one of them. The seat is so comfortable.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Gen. Magnus wrote:
Syd wrote:Or the HD200? (Freeway legal, and 75imph top speed, but no fun there, so that may be a deal killer).
The HD200 is only like 160-some cc though. :( I have an RV250 and love her! She'll be good to you if you pick one up. Just beware, she has a fat ass - when getting her onto the center stand she can be really heavy some days.
171.something_or_other ccs, thank you very much :grin:

But by all accounts the HD's 171.something_or_other ccs perform like most scoot's 200 and bigger.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

pcbikedude wrote:

Hey, what do you do at the hospital? I am a graduate of the Grossmont College Cardiovascular Technology program and know those hospitals well!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Tocsik wrote:
pcbikedude wrote:

Hey, what do you do at the hospital? I am a graduate of the Grossmont College Cardiovascular Technology program and know those hospitals well!
PC's.....thus the handle. Our dept. take care of most of the mainstream techonologies (pc's, printers, software support) . Supporting 14K employees can be a challenge for a dept of 20.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

pcbikedude wrote:
The commute is now a hard 15 miles each way. Several steep hills with high speed limits. I just don't want to get run over by a dork in their Prius.[/quote]

So all prius drivers are dorks :?: :lol:
rajron

Post by rajron »

Regarding mid size scooters, my wife just got a Vespa GTS 250ie; it’s a great scooter, and it would make your commute much easier, and I highly recommend this scooter for that purpose. It is a beautiful machine, well put together; it is smooth, fast and sturdy. Even though it weighs about a hundred pounds heavier than the Buddy 125, it is still very easy to handle.
But, the reality of it is; the Vespa, though a very competent ride, its just a plain boring ride – it’s a Cadillac of mid size scooters. So, if you are into that, go for it – it is beautiful fast and smooth.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

ScootStevie wrote: So all prius drivers are dorks :?: :lol:
If the Prius fits, wear it :P !

I guess the Scion XB is really the dorkest car around (starting trouble again). :nerd:
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

pcbikedude wrote:

I guess the Scion XB is really the dorkest car around (starting trouble again). :nerd:
Ok Ok....I agree :!: :!: :P
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Anyone have first-hand ride of a Kymco Xciting 250?
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

The thing I like best about the Vespa 250 is that it still looks like a scooter. All other 250s start looking like cruiser motorcycles.

That said, a dude had Kymco Grandvista 250 on our Palomar Ride and that thing was pretty cool. It may have the nimbleless problem of the citycom, though. I thought the auto adjusted mirrors that folded in when parked were neat.

With my mods on my buddy, I'm killing every hill so as I dream, I think 250cc isn't going to be a big enough of a upgrade for the next scooter. I think the BV500 would be a good next scooter.

Motorsports put the big bore kit in for me - Robot did it. They said they could put them in a lot faster now that they learned on mine. With my kit broken in, I was indicating 52mph up Texas and wasn't even full throttle. Pre-mod, I was chugging up at 40mph and losing the battle quickly.

I'm a bit of a spaz. I think 250cc is just gonna make me want more in a couple of months. So until I can afford something bigger, modding my buddy is all I have in the works :)
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I've rode the Grand Vista. It's pretty gutless. I know the maxi's scoots look like MCs. But it isn't pleasure riding I'm after.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jijifer wrote:The thing I like best about the Vespa 250 is that it still looks like a scooter. All other 250s start looking like cruiser motorcycles.

That said, a dude had Kymco Grandvista 250 on our Palomar Ride and that thing was pretty cool. It may have the nimbleless problem of the citycom, though. I thought the auto adjusted mirrors that folded in when parked were neat.

With my mods on my buddy, I'm killing every hill so as I dream, I think 250cc isn't going to be a big enough of a upgrade for the next scooter. I think the BV500 would be a good next scooter.

Motorsports put the big bore kit in for me - Robot did it. They said they could put them in a lot faster now that they learned on mine. With my kit broken in, I was indicating 52mph up Texas and wasn't even full throttle. Pre-mod, I was chugging up at 40mph and losing the battle quickly.

I'm a bit of a spaz. I think 250cc is just gonna make me want more in a couple of months. So until I can afford something bigger, modding my buddy is all I have in the works :)
I actually like the Aprilia Scarabeo GT500ie way more than the BV500, same running gear, but I like the looks of it much much better.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

pcbikedude wrote:

don, be goin round sayin stuffs about Scions now, :x we have people who have people who have even more people... 8) we will find you... 8)
XA :P WHUT!?!
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Kaos wrote:
jijifer wrote:The thing I like best about the Vespa 250 is that it still looks like a scooter. All other 250s start looking like cruiser motorcycles.

I actually like the Aprilia Scarabeo GT500ie way more than the BV500, same running gear, but I like the looks of it much much better.
:+!: The BVs actually still have that scooter look and I'm surprised by how sharp they are every time I see one. That Scarabeo 500, though, is just a little more streamlined and has some nice little touches—just enough to make it the only 500 I could see myself riding. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

I'm also in need of a larger, faster scoot. Next time I get to Salt Lake City, I hope the Vespa dealer has one in stock because last time, they didn't and it's over 400 miles for me to drive down.

http://www.apriliausa.com/modelli/scara ... asp?id=103
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

ERik3tb wrote:I hope the Vespa dealer has one in stock because last time, they didn't and it's over 400 miles for me to drive down.

Call them before you head down their way...
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Wheelz wrote: don, be goin round sayin stuffs about Scions now, :x we have people who have people who have even more people... 8) we will find you... 8)
XA :P WHUT!?!
I guess it could be worse. Think of those poor people who bought the Honda Element and the Pontiac Vibe. Now those are ugly cars! :bleh:
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

iMoses wrote:
ERik3tb wrote:I hope the Vespa dealer has one in stock because last time, they didn't and it's over 400 miles for me to drive down.

Call them before you head down their way...
I do. But I won't be going that direction again for several months so this might take awhile.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

The BVs look great. But going 60+minutes to the dealership will keep me away from it.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

pcbikedude wrote:...I just don't want to get run over by a dork in their Prius.
Dress up like a tree or a spotted owl, then the Prius drivers will fall all over themselves to protect you.

:D
Kevin
AYPWIP?
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

I really like the OOmph of the Vespa GTS250 and the 300 more so, but keep in mind you will be replacing a VERY expensive rear tire (and muffler bushing) every 2500 miles or so. That means the worlds most expensive 3000 mile service. I have gone through scads of different tires on the GTS / GTV scooters and can't find one that will last longer than 3200 miles. Some dealers charge as much as $250 for swapping the rear tire and doing an oil change. $250 in additional costs every 3000 miles makes it cheaper to drive a 15 mpg SUV.

The HD200 is RETARD STRONG!!! Seriously, it will hang with my GTS250 all day long. I am a huge fan of this scooter. 16" wheels make it feel totally stable.

The RV250 is a bit of a slug off the line because of the weight but it's a big, comfy chair on the open road. Best lighting in the industry.

The BV250 and BV500 are excellent bikes and I really can't fault them for much. There's been a few weird bearing / seal problems with the back end, but they seem kinda hit or miss.

The Kymco People 250S seems like a solid bike based on customer reviews, I'm not in love with the styling, the triple disc brakes are the bomb.

I'm actually really impressed with the CitiCom 300, I've been riding one for about 2400 miles now and it hammers along at 85 all day, but then feels very motorcycle-ish in the twisties. The huge underseat storage is also a plus.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

2StrokeBuzz test ride of the Citycom 300:
http://2strokebuzz.com/2009/05/citycom

Only 2500-3200 miles on a GTS rear tire? DAMN.
Angela

Post by Angela »

pcbikedude wrote:The BVs look great. But going 60+minutes to the dealership will keep me away from it.
If you are interested in a BV the Vespa San Diego store will have one brought down for you. I've already talked to them. You can get all your service etc. done at Vespa S.D.
evilscooterkitty

Post by evilscooterkitty »

POC Phil is correct, the HD200 ROCKS! I do not consider the Vespa GTS250/Super300 to be all that great of a highway ride - smaller wheels. I would also look at the Kymco Poeple 'S' 250. I have put a fair number of miles on Kymco Xcitings, both the 250 and the 500. A very fine highway machine, but not as good as an "all-around" scooter as the People 250 or the HD200.

http://www.justgottascoot.com/symhd200.htm

http://www.justgottascoot.com/symrv250.htm

http://www.justgottascoot.com/people250s.htm

http://www.justgottascoot.com/xciting.htm
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

pcbikedude wrote:Anyone have first-hand ride of a Kymco Xciting 250?
Howzabout secondhand experience? This is my dealer's primary long-ride mode of transportation. He's had several over the past three years I've known him. I also know another couple of dudes who own & LOVE this bike.
ModBud #442
Christy

Post by Christy »

ericalm wrote:If you're headed to the Vespa dealer, check out the Aprilia SportCity 250 and the Piaggio BV 250. The BV is particularly smart-looking (IMHO), $1200 less than the GTS, and pretty much identical on the inside. Of course, you can get an Aprilia Scarabeo 500 for about as much as a GTS Super. It's big, but it's beautiful.
+1 for the Aprilia SportCity 250!!!
EPSP #76
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Doesn't appear as the weather is going to be on my side this weekend. Forecast: Cloudy with drizzle :cry: . This is suppose to be SoCal right?
Angela

Post by Angela »

pcbikedude wrote:Doesn't appear as the weather is going to be on my side this weekend. Forecast: Cloudy with drizzle :cry: . This is suppose to be SoCal right?
I think it will be fine. Jijifer and I are going riding today.
donkin

Post by donkin »

Looked at a new 08 SYM RV 250 this afternoon. Agree with POCphil's thoughts about it. I was more impressed than I expected to be. Decisions, Decisions...
Member 2166
Taz

Post by Taz »

While I can't stand the looks of the HD200, it is a great package to ride. The motor is really a standout part of the scoot. It actually goes when you twist the throttle. It also had excellent headlights.

It seemed like the HD200 would easily run with my Honda Reflex 250 and out accelerate it up to about 55 mph. They built one heck of a nice package other than the looks only a mother could love. I would have bought one if I could have gotten past the styling. I'd love to figure out a relatively easy way to drop that motor in my Buddy's chassis. That would be a heck of a fun ride.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Angela wrote:I think it will be fine. Jijifer and I are going riding today.
We (my daughter and me) decided to ride today anyway. It was nicer along the coast than it was inland. Weird.

We passed a lot of different scooters (including Buddys) today. Were any of those yours?

I've narrowed the search to 3. Kymco S 250, SYM RV250, and Vespa GTS 250ie.

Today I tested out the 2 above and Kymco Xciting 250ri and Vespa GTS 300 Super. Holy Cow! The 300 Super is crazy fast! And crazy expensive! It rides like a sports car.

The Xciting had similar handling issues as the SYM Citycom. They both lumber through slow speed turns. They kind of fight you on the lean. A bit un-nerving because it creates wide turns.

More on my impressions later.
Vic

Post by Vic »

My friend who is a Sym dealer has the 250 in her shop and I have not taken it out yet but just sitting on it in the shop has me seriously wanting one.

I ride with my daughter 2up on my Buddy and it manages okay, but it is definitely not comfortable for either of us. That Sym would be super comfy. Also, since she is one growt spurt away from towering over me and outgrowing te 2up on the Buddy to the point of absurdity, the Sym would provide some needed legroom.

I am thinking I would keep my Buddy because I love it so much, can't beat the gas mileage, it is so fun and EASY to ride, but having a second option would be really nice for certain situations...

I am not planning to take a test ride until I have cash in hand, and that won't be this year, so hearing other Buddy owners' thoughts is great.

-v
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

My son has an RV250 and for 2-up riding, there is none better. My daughter is 5' 10" with 36" legs. She can sit behind me on the RV and I, literally, cannot feel her back there. There is a LOT of space for the passenger. It is a little gutless on take off, but it cruises great.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Curveball came today. One more to consider, Suzuki Burgman 400. Same $$$ at the Vespa GTS 250.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I have a friend who has a Burgman 400 (not sure what year). This guy puts stupid miles on his scoots 500 - 1000 mile weekend trips regularly. I asked him the other day, and he hasn't had any problems with it.

It doesn't fit me at all, though - none of the maxis do. Which is what I find so tempting about the Citycom. It doesn't have the riding position of the maxis, so it fits me much more better.
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

Syd wrote:I have a friend who has a Burgman 400 (not sure what year). This guy puts stupid miles on his scoots 500 - 1000 mile weekend trips regularly. I asked him the other day, and he hasn't had any problems with it.

It doesn't fit me at all, though - none of the maxis do. Which is what I find so tempting about the Citycom. It doesn't have the riding position of the maxis, so it fits me much more better.
Your friend sounds alot like he had the same driving habits I do.

and I agree with you, the maxis don't fit me either.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

pcbikedude wrote:Curveball came today. One more to consider, Suzuki Burgman 400. Same $$$ at the Vespa GTS 250.

8) :idea: :!: