Battery Upgrade/Replacement ANSWER!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Penguinboy

Battery Upgrade/Replacement ANSWER!

Post by Penguinboy »

Hi all-

I've been looking for a new battery and searching this forum, I see many questions asking which battery would give better performance, but I haven't seen that many definitive answers. So here's my recent experience.

I needed a new battery so I went on the Yuasa website to get the manufactures specs for the OEM battery that comes with the International 150- the YTX7A-BS. It's a 6 A battery with 90 CCA. I found on the Yuasa page another battery they make- the YTZ10S. It has 8.6 A and 190 CCA. And it's 1 MM shorter, so no problem with fit. The factory specs are on page 11 of this link:

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/2009 ... _specs.pdf

I found the YTZ10S for $109 with free priority mail shipping at this site:

http://www.batterystuff.com/power-sport ... 5QodHVEqqg

I wrote to their tech support to ask if it would be a good upgrade and they highly recommended it for a replacement and guaranteed it would fit. Should be here any day now, so I'll post an update when it's installed in my scoot!

-D
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Yes, I will be interested to see how it works. I noticed there are quite a few on Ebay that are cheaper the link you posted.
Penguinboy

Post by Penguinboy »

The ebay ones are NOT Yuasa batteries- they are the same number for battery crossreference, but not the same batteries. I saw those and others like them, but decided the guarantee of fit, full 1 yr warranty -NOT prorated like many of the other ones are- and reputation and reliability were worth more to me than saving $40. The cheap chinese batteries like some of the ebay ones just don't seem to get the job done from all the different reviews I've read.

I'll post my results, but pretty sure they won't be exactly the same as you'd get from a different battery/manufacturer.......
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Just so you know I got an 8Ah battery with 120cca for $80.00 from batteries plus and it has a two year waranty.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Penguinboy

Post by Penguinboy »

JasonDavis-

What did you notice from going to the bigger batt? Start better/faster? And did you need to upgrade any fuses or anything??

-Danny
jasondavis48108

I noticed two things. (1) my scoot seems to start with more confidence than it did before (2) the running lights no longer kill my battery.

I have a 50cc buddy so I had to modify my battery cover. I would imagine that if you have the 125 or 150 you wont need to do any modification to the cover since it already came with a much larger battery than my stock crappy little 3Ah battery. IMO it was well worth the $80.00 I paid.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

You can get an odyssey for less from batteries plus :shock:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ScooterTrash wrote:You can get an odyssey for less from batteries plus :shock:
+1 on the Odyssey. It is a great battery! I use one in my Ural as well.
satyr2k2

Post by satyr2k2 »

What battery are you talking about from BatteriesPlus that is cheaper from Odyssey? The best fit I could find is the 310 and it's listed at 180 for me.
Member #: 2657

<a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/casey.hunt/ ... directlink"> Pictures of Gino</a>
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I was wanting to upgrade the battery on my 50cc. Which one has everyone been using?
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
jasondavis48108

I put this in my buddy 50 but it took some modification of the battery cover

http://www.batteriesplus.com/p-40574-x2 ... -x2-9.aspx
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

How much of a PITA was that modification?
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Jessica wrote:How much of a PITA was that modification?
Not a pain at all. I have the same battery on my 50. Just take some pliers to the fins on the underside of the battery cover. A few snaps (minutes) later and yer good to go.

Hardest part for me was tucking all the wires back in there. I have my tender hardwired to the battery, along with another + and - for my "alarm".
jasondavis48108

Lil Buddy wrote:
Jessica wrote:How much of a PITA was that modification?
Not a pain at all. I have the same battery on my 50. Just take some pliers to the fins on the underside of the battery cover. A few snaps (minutes) later and yer good to go.

Hardest part for me was tucking all the wires back in there. I have my tender hardwired to the battery, along with another + and - for my "alarm".
yeah it was easy enough to do. btw I have no idea how you stuffed all those wires in there, I'm duely imprerssed :)
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

satyr2k2 wrote:What battery are you talking about from BatteriesPlus that is cheaper from Odyssey? The best fit I could find is the 310 and it's listed at 180 for me.
Ditto.....Specifically which Odyssey battery are ScooterTrash and Dooglas referring to??? I need one ASAP!
rajron

Post by rajron »

bump

My battery is on its last legs – 06 Buddy 125