Are three scooters too many? What about four?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KCScooterDude

Are three scooters too many? What about four?

Post by KCScooterDude »

Okay, got a windfall coming up. I'm seriously considering a new Stella (while I can still get a 2T), and maybe a used ET4. I'm over the motorcycle thing, so I might sell that too and buy a 50cc to pay around with.

How can I convince my wife that three or four scooters are not too many? She'll want the motorcycle money to go toward carpet. That's crazy talk in my opinion.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

I have two and any time I even begin to mention another one, my wife says, "No, you can only ride on at a time." She doesn't get it. I ask, "How many purses do you carry at one time or how many pairs of shoes can you wear on your feet?" It doesn't help.

Good luck!
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Orange Guy wrote:I have two and any time I even begin to mention another one, my wife says, "No, you can only ride on at a time." She doesn't get it. I ask, "How many purses do you carry at one time or how many pairs of shoes can you wear on your feet?" It doesn't help.

Good luck!
:rofl: I'll bet that went over real well!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ScootStevie

Re: Are three scooters too many? What about four?

Post by ScootStevie »

KCScooterDude wrote: How can I convince my wife that three or four scooters are not too many? She'll want the motorcycle money to go toward carpet. That's crazy talk in my opinion.
I think it's crazy talk if you ask me. Does that help? :rofl:
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

KCScooterDude wrote:Okay, got a windfall coming up. I'm seriously considering a new Stella (while I can still get a 2T), and maybe a used ET4. I'm over the motorcycle thing, so I might sell that too and buy a 50cc to pay around with.

How can I convince my wife that three or four scooters are not too many? She'll want the motorcycle money to go toward carpet. That's crazy talk in my opinion.
Convince her that the Stella is a modern classic (says so right on the brochure) and that it's more of an investment in a scooter that will appreciate in value due to it's uniqueness. Reminder her how bad the stock market is and that your money is safer in scooters these days.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Don't ask...don't tell!

Oh yeah...I have five...so it would ONLY be 3 for you!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
blurry

Post by blurry »

Just remember seven is heaven, eight is great, nine is fine
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

blurry wrote:Just remember seven is heaven, eight is great, nine is fine
Ten is Zen.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
blurry

Post by blurry »

So I now can get number ten
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

blurry wrote:So I now can get number ten
Yes, and with it you will reach a higher spiritual plain and total inner piece.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

That's one hell of a keyring :lol:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
A_Hunter

Post by A_Hunter »

Ten keys to ten rocking rides... Nirvana. The only question is "Do I by helmets in matching colors?"... No what that not right. It is "Do I buy to ten more and become a true guru?
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

I say one shifty and one T'n'G. I want a shifty now =(. Tell your wife that you'll just be tracking grease all over the new carpet anyways.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

enzomatic wrote:I say one shifty and one T'n'G. I want a shifty now =(. Tell your wife that you'll just be tracking grease all over the new carpet anyways.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: nice
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If I had the windfall and the space, I'd have several from a lengthy scooter wish list. Actually, I could make the space.

But my wife—a scooterist, mind you—has the same reaction as yours. Every time I bring up another scoot, she asks if I plan on selling mine. What? No! Of course not. That defeats the purpose of another scooter. I want one with a different style and that offers a different riding experience. :wha:

Still, just out of curiosity, why a used ET4?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Additionally, carpet is unhealthy. It allows dust and small critters to settle in your hourse. Real bad for people with allergies.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Frankenscoot

Post by Frankenscoot »

I had four at one time. I've down graded to 2 though. Too much to maintain at once for me.
"I is to good making it ride faster now it doesn't not have that part witch it didn't can have?"

http://www.ScooterDeviant.com
laxer

Post by laxer »

BuddyRaton wrote:Don't ask...don't tell!

Oh yeah...I have five...so it would ONLY be 3 for you!
I only have one, but if BuddyRaton ever even thinks of selling his '67 GT, then I'll have two! :D
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Just do it now and beg forgiveness later. It works for politicians.
fretman

Post by fretman »

KCScooterDude wrote:Okay, got a windfall coming up. I'm seriously considering a new Stella...She'll want the motorcycle money to go toward carpet...
If you have the $, and the room, get as many two wheeled vehicles as humanly possible. Carpet? Seriously?
You know scooter is scooter!
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Update: I stopped her cold with the shoe arguement! Thanks! Still early days, though. At worst, it looks like I might be able to replace the motorcycle for another scooter. I can build on that.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

If we're going with shoe argument, judging by what I own you get 3 scooters. :lol: (Then again, I'm not female.)

house shoes (moccasins), normal-type shoes, boots. I don't think I'll ever narrow it further permanently. I'll be able to knock it down to 2 pair whenever I get around to my walkabout. The moccasins will be left at home. :)

So...that gets you, what? You need the vintage 2-stroke. It's a freaking scooter. Know your roots! That's the Stella (1). But what happens if it breaks down and/or when you take it to the shop for routine maintenance they're backed up and need to keep it for a few days? That's a Buddy (2).
Very few people want to void the warranty on a brand-new scooter...especially one like the Buddy. Who wants to wait 2 years to tinker with the engine and learn how to do your own wrenching...maybe even upgrade a little? That's a project scooter, or another Buddy. Maybe make that first Buddy a Blackjack or International. Then the project can be a 125 so you can work on joining in on the voodoo.
What's that? You've been hanging out on the ADVrider forum and are getting that off-road itch? Hmm...the clearance on the Buddy line and Stella ain't that great for trail riding. You need something designed for dirt. I've seen some great reports from people riding a Rattler (4) there.

To summarize so far: Stella for style and gatherings/rallies/club rides, BlackJack or International for daily rides (and for the GF/BF/wife/hubby to ride along), another Buddy to learn voodoo, and a Rattler for adventure.

Need I keep going? :twisted: I've got a few more steps, but the title was 3 or 4.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

don't forget the touring scooter has to be at least 250cc and so you'll need to look outside the Genuine fam for that, maybe a Citycom? Oh and don't forget you'll need a moped, everyone needs a moped, so you can THROW A KIT ON THAT B@TCH! sorry I had to do it :oops:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
louie

Post by louie »

right, nobody can stop at one. it doesn't suit all your "needs", after all it's not a woman :wink: , no matter what you boys say.

one possibility would be to get her interested in riding. my mate had a bike but i don't think it had anything to do with my initial interest in scooters, that would be the red stella that sat outside the coffee shop everyday.

once the partner is hooked buying various styles of bikes becomes a family hobby, it brings variety to the relationship...eric and gatsbygirl not with-standing.

you'll "need" an everyday ride, an old metal bike for grins, and something a little on the oddity side...well that would at least describe our scooter collection but we also have 3 other motorcycles for our maxi'esque needs.

carpet's not good for you, it's full of chemicals that contribute to the body's chem cocktail growing with each generation...
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

When your car doesn't fit in the garage anymore, you have enough.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

illnoise wrote:When your car doesn't fit in the garage anymore, you have enough.
I bought a second house because it had a garage...and both our "regular" cars are parked outside.

I was talking about this thread with the b/f (ranting about the sexism, but whatever, there are a lot of men on this board who don't get it) and he suggested I post a pic of my shoe collection and my bike collection. Mind you, I have hardwood floors.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

siobhan wrote:
illnoise wrote:When your car doesn't fit in the garage anymore, you have enough.
I bought a second house because it had a garage...and both our "regular" cars are parked outside.

I was talking about this thread with the b/f (ranting about the sexism, but whatever, there are a lot of men on this board who don't get it) and he suggested I post a pic of my shoe collection and my bike collection. Mind you, I have hardwood floors.
:+!:
ModBud #442
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

djelliott wrote:
blurry wrote:Just remember seven is heaven, eight is great, nine is fine
Ten is Zen.
:wha: I thought I was ahead of the curve but it looks like I have some catching up to do!!

I was up to 4 +1 for the wife. the POC 50 at the beach died 2 weekends ago on a trip to the local crab shack - I think it's a broken belt but I really dont have the care/drive/need to check it out and/or fix it. So I'm down to 3, my commuter, my cruiser and my BeachBuzzer +1 for the wife and she wants a 50 BeachBuzzer now too.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Cheshire wrote:If we're going with shoe argument, judging by what I own you get 3 scooters. :lol: (Then again, I'm not female.)

house shoes (moccasins), normal-type shoes, boots. I don't think I'll ever narrow it further permanently. I'll be able to knock it down to 2 pair whenever I get around to my walkabout. The moccasins will be left at home. :)

So...that gets you, what? You need the vintage 2-stroke. It's a freaking scooter. Know your roots! That's the Stella (1). But what happens if it breaks down and/or when you take it to the shop for routine maintenance they're backed up and need to keep it for a few days? That's a Buddy (2).
Very few people want to void the warranty on a brand-new scooter...especially one like the Buddy. Who wants to wait 2 years to tinker with the engine and learn how to do your own wrenching...maybe even upgrade a little? That's a project scooter, or another Buddy. Maybe make that first Buddy a Blackjack or International. Then the project can be a 125 so you can work on joining in on the voodoo.
What's that? You've been hanging out on the ADVrider forum and are getting that off-road itch? Hmm...the clearance on the Buddy line and Stella ain't that great for trail riding. You need something designed for dirt. I've seen some great reports from people riding a Rattler (4) there.

To summarize so far: Stella for style and gatherings/rallies/club rides, BlackJack or International for daily rides (and for the GF/BF/wife/hubby to ride along), another Buddy to learn voodoo, and a Rattler for adventure.

Need I keep going? :twisted: I've got a few more steps, but the title was 3 or 4.
I'm convinced.

I have a Blur - want to keep that. Got to have a 2T Stella. Need a Touring scoot - a Vespa 250 or 300 or maybe a Majesty. Oh, and I need a a 50cc to tune and use for gymkanas.

Is that too much to ask?
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

siobhan wrote:

If I bought a second house I could probably double the scooter population without much trouble. Financially, not in the cards for a while.

BTW, love your blog. My family goes to Mystic every year (stay at the Taber Inne) and I love exploring Eastern CT, RI and Long Island. My father did the art show in Mystic for about 25 years. Now we go for fun/habit. Been doing this about 10 years now. More than a few stops at Newport Creamery!!! Retirement dream is to have a sailboat somewhere on LI sound.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

KCScooterDude wrote:I have a Blur - want to keep that. Got to have a 2T Stella. Need a Touring scoot - a Vespa 250 or 300 or maybe a Majesty. Oh, and I need a a 50cc to tune and use for gymkanas.

Is that too much to ask?
I have 3 daily riders:

Vespa ET4 - The one I put the most miles on. The bike I ride to work and I am not that pressed if something happens to it.

Bajaj Chertak - When I feel like shifting and want to ride a workhorse.

Rally 180 - When I want to remind myself how awesome I am

The rest of my scooters pretty much stay in storage and get ridden once or twice a year.

My next bike will either be a Vespa 250 or a Triumph.

Dave
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

perfect set up for me would be
1) My buddy
2) p or rally 200
3) honda passport
4) honda four (350-750 whatever) or honda GB500
but for now I don't even own a garage so the buddy will do.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I'm pretty happy with what I have now, but I'd be happier if they all worked.

Running:
71 V. Primavera
06 G. Blur
08 Benelli Andretti 150XT

Not Running
65 V. VBB 150
71 Honda 350CB350
My friend's V. P200 that's been in my garage for 15 years

Used to have a V. Sprint 150, so I had every Vespa body style from the 60s on.

If all those ran reliably, I'm not sure what I'd trade off, I'd be a pretty happy dude. There are lots of bikes I like/want, but not enough to spend a lotta cash on. I've always wanted a Lambretta, but I'm kinda stuck in the Vespa thing, so I'll stick with what I know.

I'll buy a Symba (for my daughter, who's only 5 now) and maybe a modern Vespa and/or a touring scooter when the fad ends and they're cheap.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
oryx

Post by oryx »

we are adding another scoot to the family, a red Symba. Going in 1/2ers with the husband on it, but it'll be mainly for him to ride instead of the ninja.

that takes us from zero bikes 6 mos ago, to now 3. and if they brought the new fuel injected super cub to the US, it would easily be 4.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

We have four 2 wheeled vehicles and hope for more.
The only drawback is garage space.
At some point in life one realizes it could end any moment, so go for it.
louie

Post by louie »

oryx wrote:we are adding another scoot to the family, a red Symba. Going in 1/2ers with the husband on it, but it'll be mainly for him to ride instead of the ninja.

that takes us from zero bikes 6 mos ago, to now 3. and if they brought the new fuel injected super cub to the US, it would easily be 4.
that sounds great. when will it be on the street?
oryx

Post by oryx »

louie wrote:
we are picking it up from sym-usa mothership in brundidge, AL on friday. josh will officially not be a scooter poser anymore. :P
louie

Post by louie »

oryx wrote:
louie wrote:
sym-usa mothership in brundidge, AL :P
what is this mothership you speak of? i would have thought you'd go to 5 points...not asking online for dirt...i'll do that in person. :wink:
oryx

Post by oryx »

louie wrote: what is this mothership you speak of? i would have thought you'd go to 5 points...not asking online for dirt...i'll do that in person. :wink:
you can go to 5 points, we opted not to. Sym-usa's HQ is in Brundidge, and there's a dealer right there too. come out on friday! we may try to finally make it out to crestwood this sunday.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

oryx wrote:
louie wrote: what is this mothership you speak of? i would have thought you'd go to 5 points...not asking online for dirt...i'll do that in person. :wink:
you can go to 5 points, we opted not to. Sym-usa's HQ is in Brundidge, and there's a dealer right there too. come out on friday! we may try to finally make it out to crestwood this sunday.
I lusted after a Symba at my dealer the other day. Congrats, let us know how it rides.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

illnoise wrote:I'm pretty happy with what I have now, but I'd be happier if they all worked.

Running:
71 V. Primavera
06 G. Blur
08 Benelli Andretti 150XT

Not Running
65 V. VBB 150
71 Honda 350CB350
My friend's V. P200 that's been in my garage for 15 years

Used to have a V. Sprint 150, so I had every Vespa body style from the 60s on.

If all those ran reliably, I'm not sure what I'd trade off, I'd be a pretty happy dude. There are lots of bikes I like/want, but not enough to spend a lotta cash on. I've always wanted a Lambretta, but I'm kinda stuck in the Vespa thing, so I'll stick with what I know.

I'll buy a Symba (for my daughter, who's only 5 now) and maybe a modern Vespa and/or a touring scooter when the fad ends and they're cheap.

How do like the Benelli? How's the build quality and reliability?
Syd

Post by Syd »

KCScooterDude wrote:...I lusted after a Symba at my dealer the other day...
Me too. Too bad I'd need to cut my legs off at about mid-calf to fit.
The majority is always sane - Nessus