Woohoo! Back from a very wet 2-wheeled camping trip

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

siobhan

Woohoo! Back from a very wet 2-wheeled camping trip

Post by siobhan »

The b/f and I did a proof-of-concept 2-wheeled camping trip, just in time for the unending rain, rain, rain we're getting in New England (trust me, southern friends, if I could send it your way, I would!). We headed out in the rain last Tuesday, me on Franz Biberkopf (St Tropez) and he on Mackie Messer (a 1971 R75/5 BMW). He was originally going to take the '79 P, but ever since the blown piston, he's spooked...afraid to ask it to haul a boatload of gear and his less-than-svelte self. Although I think it was more of him wanting to take the new bike (which I got for him for his birthday...that's right, gents, we're not all a bunch of no-more-bike-tsking shoe-hounds!).

The route was pretty decent as I wanted to go to Plymouth (home of the famous rock) as I've never been there. We stopped in a pub and the couple next to us were bike people...the guy was all over the BMW and was a little look-down-the-nose at my scoot until I pointed out to him that I'm carrying more crap and doing it with only 150ccs.

Anyway, despite the rain, the trip was fantastic, camping out at Nickerson State Park in Brewster on Cape Cod. I love camping, and we are now aware of what needs to not come with us, what needs replacing (I actually found a plate, bowl and mug that fold flat!), and that, in spite of everyone teasing me about not compromising on my "posh" tent and camp chairs (a girl's gotta have a little bit of comfort), they were no problem to haul.

I discovered that I need a new Camelbak (why is my back always wet? oh, it's leaking!) and that I hate my Corazzo 5.0 in anything but dry weather. I'm lusting after a FirstGear Kilimanjaro (in hi-viz...hint hint).
Syd

Post by Syd »

I have some memory of a weekend on the Cape a lifetime ago. Funny how I don't remember all of the weekend, though. Did you make it out to Provincetown?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
redcass

Re: Woohoo! Back from a very wet 2-wheeled camping trip

Post by redcass »

siobhan wrote:the guy was all over the BMW and was a little look-down-the-nose at my scoot until I pointed out to him that I'm carrying more crap and doing it with only 150ccs.

in spite of everyone teasing me about not compromising on my "posh" tent and camp chairs (a girl's gotta have a little bit of comfort), they were no problem to haul.
Sounds like a fun trip!

I have to ask, what sort of camp chairs, and how did you haul them?
RedCass
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Hey Syd...I didn't make it to P-town this trip. I really needed a break from people so we basically just hiked the miles of trails and sat around in front of the campfire grilling up steaks. I work on a college campus and by the end of a school-year, I need some misanthrope time. Plus there's a gallery we like out in P-town and we would've bought some art and we're almost out of wall space!

redcass...the chairs were cheapos I picked up a KMart called Northwest Territory Mesh Chair
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1010 ... %26+Tables. They were the only small ones I could find with a day to go before the trip and they were perfect. The butt part is mesh and they dried super-fast (did I mention it rained a lot!), and they have two little mesh pockets, perfect for holding their own pack bag. They only weighed about 4 pounds and were less than 20 inches long.
Syd

Post by Syd »

HaHa! You work at a university? Then I guess P-Town in the summer isn't the place to be, 'eh? Wicked fun, though!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TVB

Post by TVB »

That's quite a load of gear on the scoot there. I'm a bit more spartan in my approach to camping ("If God wanted us to bring chairs, he wouldn't leave all those fallen trees for us to sit on"), but I admire the packing skillz.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

I applaud your camping skills. This Wednesday the family and I leave for three days, two nights at Point Beach State Park. It's on lake Michigan so the temps could be chilly. My wife and two daughters will head out in the morning with the van and camper. I work on Wednesday so will follow in the evening on Buddy (sorry, no inspired name for my scooter). It's about a 55 mile one way trip. Nothing but arrow straight roads and 90 degree turns all the way. Kind of a boring ride really, maybe I will see some cows.... ya think! Last year when I did this ride Buddy ran out of oil on the return trip. It was over four weeks to get her back. When I picked her up my dealer asked if I would be willing to pay for the new oil and filter. You got it, I was happy not to have to pay for the parts and labor. They told me every part in the engine case had to be replaced. Since then I check my oil at every fuel up stop. Its been almost 3000 miles since then and NO oil depletion between changes. I'm rambling off subject now. Sounds like a great trip.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I am getting ready for a weekend camping trip on my scooter in a little over a month. I have to admit, though, if it rains, I will be taking the VW.

Thanks for the pics of the scoot/pack mule. I am trying to decide about taking the topcase off for the trip or leaving it on... It holds a lot of stuff, but once it is full, well that's it.

Cheers,
-v
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

Is that an ADV flag I see on the back rack?

I thought I was the only MB scooterist with an ADV logo on my scoot! :D