please help! can't tighten gear oil bolt

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

redcass

please help! can't tighten gear oil bolt

Post by redcass »

Hi folks,

I can't find anything when I search, so here's my dilemma.

Doing an oil change, changing the gear oil. Just drained it, and cleaned off the bolt. Trying to put the bolt back in, but I can't get it tight. The washer appears flush with the opening, but the bolt is still loose!

Please tell me somebody has an idea!

Thanks much,
Red Cass
RedCass
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

did it start to feel tight and then go loose? I'm just wondering if it might have gotten stripped
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

are we talking the drain plug for the engine or the gearbox? oh dear NOT TOO GOOD ether way... if the drain plug threads are gone get another plug,,, if the threads in the engine are gone you have yourself something a good tech needs to fix... gee read the title my bad... gearbox,,, not much,,, pressure

BY NO MEANS IS THIS A FIX OR SHOULD THE BIKE BE DRIVEN,,, with that said,,, take some telflon plumbers tape and see if that well keep it from leaking out, on the floor,,, it should if you do not over tighten again, just get it snug... try running bike on stand to see if its going to leak... most likely not... BUT DONT YOU GET YOUR REAR ON THAT SEAT AND TAKE OFF THINKING ITS FIXED... IT WILL COME OUT!!! this is just to keep it from making a mess untill you get it fixed...
Last edited by Major Redneck on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

GET ANOTHER PLUG!!!!! It sounds stripped. And it will fall out.

=)
Scooter Commuter
A_Hunter

Post by A_Hunter »

Did the plug start going in vey stiffly? You might have cross theaded the plug. That would cause the plug not to tighten down as well.
redcass

Post by redcass »

Thanks everybody.

It does appear to be stripped -- the gear oil drain plug, that is.

It's the first time I'm changing the gear oil myself. My first oil change was at a dealer (break-in service), then I changed the engine oil myself the next time, but didn't change the gear oil.

The plug/bolt was REALLY snug when we removed it, so the nice folks at Scooterworks service said it was probably tightened too hard at the last change. {grumble} :(

Fortunately, they recommended a scooter shop in Ithaca NY, where I'm moving to on Wednesday. That shop is going to rethread this for me sometime in the coming week.

It'll be rough to take that long off, particularly when the weather's so divine, but I need a fix, so.....

In case any readers are new to changing their gear oil--don't over tighten the drain bolt, or this will be you!

8) 8) 8) For my future reference: how tight do YOU tighten the gear oil drain belt during a change?

Peace out,
RedCass
RedCass
redcass

Post by redcass »

In case I wasn't clear -- the bolt itself looks fine, not stripped, so getting a new bolt would not suffice.
RedCass
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I don't know what the recommended setting for the gear oil drain bolt is in the Buddy and I tend not to trust the numbers given in the service/maintenance manuals for my Blur.

You can get round this problem by making a witness mark on the bolt head and gear case (after it's been fixed and re-tightened by the dealer) with something sharp, like a scratch awl. When you go to re-tighten the bolt after removing it, all you have to do is line up these two marks to insure that it's properly set. Of course, you'd first have to get the bolt snugged up before doing the final alignment.
redcass

Post by redcass »

charlie55 wrote:I don't know what the recommended setting for the gear oil drain bolt is in the Buddy and I tend not to trust the numbers given in the service/maintenance manuals for my Blur.

You can get round this problem by making a witness mark on the bolt head and gear case (after it's been fixed and re-tightened by the dealer) with something sharp, like a scratch awl. When you go to re-tighten the bolt after removing it, all you have to do is line up these two marks to insure that it's properly set. Of course, you'd first have to get the bolt snugged up before doing the final alignment.
ohmigod, that's freakin' brilliant.

gracias! :)
RedCass
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

If you thought that was brilliant, tune in for my next weekly tip: "Locating hot exhaust pipes in zero visibility conditions".
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

getting the bolt set

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

i`ve found getting the drain plug bolt set even then lightly pressing in until
you feel it "set" in the treads, gently turn it into the threads until it bite, so as not to cross-thread, ( this took me a few times, and i`m an old lube jockey) :lol: ,, right-iee tight-iee
redcass

Post by redcass »

charlie55 wrote:If you thought that was brilliant, tune in for my next weekly tip: "Locating hot exhaust pipes in zero visibility conditions".

last time I give you a compliment, Charlie
:P
RedCass
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

But I put so much work into it: the sounds of sizzling flesh, a cranium rebounding off the handlebars into a Honda Odyssey, all topped off with the stringing together of 50 or so choice expletives as tools fly through the air towards their inevitable doom. In other words, a typical maintenance session in my garage.
redcass

Post by redcass »

charlie55 wrote:But I put so much work into it: the sounds of sizzling flesh, a cranium rebounding off the handlebars into a Honda Odyssey, all topped off with the stringing together of 50 or so choice expletives as tools fly through the air towards their inevitable doom. In other words, a typical maintenance session in my garage.

I'm stuck on 'sizzling flesh'

owie. :wha:
RedCass
jvanbez

DON'T RIDE IT

Post by jvanbez »

I had the exact same problem with my gear oil screw plug...left it as is and rode my scooter. Somewhere the plug jiggled all the way out and the gear oil drained. The amount of damage is tremendous and very expensive! Get a new gear oil plug.....pay to have a scooter dealer change the oil so they are responsible if it falls out.
redcass

Re: DON'T RIDE IT

Post by redcass »

jvanbez wrote:pay to have a scooter dealer change the oil so they are responsible if it falls out.
Sure, if you have a dealer in driving distance.

And, having a dealer do the oil change (in a town over an hour away) is what caused this problem for me in the first place. The dealer tightened the bolt too far.
RedCass
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

redcass wrote:For my future reference: how tight do YOU tighten the gear oil drain belt during a change?
Here is the relevent page from the Buddy Manual. They say 1.8 Kg-M. That converts (I think) to 13.0 foot-pounds or 17.6 Newton-meters. No wonder folks get confused. Can someone please check my maths and make sure I haven't screwed up? It looks right, but I'd rather someone give it a check. Thanks.
Attachments
BuddyGearOil.JPG
BuddyGearOil.JPG (39.51 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Your numbers check out fine. For future convenience, here's an online converter app for torque:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/torque.htm
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

lb-ft = 7.23 * kg-m

N-m = 9.81 * kg-m

Looks right to me.