Buddy Won't Stay On

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JNV

Buddy Won't Stay On

Post by JNV »

I have not ridden my Buddy in about two months. I drained the fuel and the oil; put in fresh fuel and oil (new filter just in case). and it starts right away but it won't stay on. Am I missing something or is the Buddy just mad for being ignored.
will it start running right after a few miles?
Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks.
jlauren1

same problem

Post by jlauren1 »

I got mine about a year ago and although it only has about 60 miles on it, I am experiencing the same issue. I changed the oil today along with the spark plug and it won't stay on. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I had that problem when I got my scooter out of storage this March. I think it has to do with the old gas thats still in the carb. It would not idel w/o stalling. Once I ran it for awhile (this required me to ride it around the block cause it stalled out several times and was not safe for main roads, It was fine.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Jason is right, the carbs are probably clogged somewhere due to bad old gummy fuel. The best thing you can do if you can get it to run fine, use some seafoam or stabil in the tank to help clean the fuel system out. You'll also want to add this to your tank and run the engine before winter storage.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

jfrost2 wrote:Jason is right, the carbs are probably clogged somewhere due to bad old gummy fuel. The best thing you can do if you can get it to run fine, use some seafoam or stabil in the tank to help clean the fuel system out. You'll also want to add this to your tank and run the engine before winter storage.
Not to highjack the thread, but will stabl also work as a carb cleaner similar to seafoam? I already have some stabl and would like to run some through every once in a while.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
jlauren1

still having problems

Post by jlauren1 »

Could it be something bigger? I ran it around the block and also put in a fuel system cleaner and am still experiencing the same problem. Thanks for all of your help. :)
jasondavis48108

I had to run mine for quite some time before I could let it idle w/o it stalling. Does it stay on when your riding? If so I would find a place w/o alot of traffic and run it for at least a halfhour to an hour. Like I said, I had to ride mine for about 1520 miles constantly before it wouldn't stall out, although I didn't use any cleaners in the fuel. If that doesn't work I'd take it into your dealer.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
A_Hunter

Post by A_Hunter »

It could be something else but I would say not likely at this time. Just get the bike to run for 20 to 30 mins. In othe words get the engine hgood and hot. Now if it still will not stay running then it is some thing else. Try it and keep us posted.
hairball

Post by hairball »

I had a problem like that with my dirt bike and it turned out to be a partially clogged jet.
fretman

Post by fretman »

jasondavis48108 wrote:...I had to ride mine for about 1520 miles constantly before it wouldn't stall out...
:shock:
You know scooter is scooter!
jasondavis48108

:oops: I meant 15 to 20 miles, sorry about that
jlauren1

Post by jlauren1 »

Thank you everyone, I will take it out tomorrow and let you know. Your help means a lot.
Guz316

Post by Guz316 »

Any updates on your Buddy? I'm having the same problem with my bike. I just did a paint job and changed every possible fluid. My bike turns on when I pull the choke but then I push it back in it won't stay on unless I pull the throttle. I don't know what I should do next..?..
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

that thread is over seven years old. I don't think he will respond to you.
Me? I ride for the bugs!