trickle charger or new battery?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ishi

trickle charger or new battery?

Post by ishi »

I foolishly left my battery connected in my Buddy 125 during the winter months, and now the battery can't seem to charge up enough from just riding the scoot. At first it was able to manage a feeble start, but for the last week I've been kick-starting it.

My question: can I manage with buying a Battery Tender from scooterworks? Or must I actually spring for a whole new battery?

Also, is there some online documentation on how to access the battery?

Thanks!

-ishi
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Thier is a black cover with a single screw in it under your rubber floor mat. That is where the battery is. As far as wether or not you need a new battery or not. I'd get the tender and try that first. Then if that doesn't work buy the battery.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

You could also take the battery some place like Auto Zone and they can test it. That will tell you if it needs to be replaced or not.
MadPete

Post by MadPete »

I was in the same position, I did take the battery in to get charged...twice...the charge lasted for a few weeks each time but eventually gave out. My suggestion would be to get a new battery AND a Battery Tender to maintain it when not in use.
A website about Zombies and the Apocalypse... and other fun stuff.

http://www.2012eod.com/
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Just to be clear. Places like Auto Zone or Advance Auto parts that have the machines that charge batteries. Those machines also test the battery to see if it will hold the charge or not. In other words, before buying a new battery or even a charger (although a trickle charger or battery maintainer is good to have on hand) you can find out definitely whether the battery needs to be replaced or not. They typically do not charge for this service.
A_Hunter

Post by A_Hunter »

Go get the battery tested. But it sounds like the battery has a dead cell. That will require a new battery. Just get it tested first.
Drumwoulf

Re: trickle charger or new battery?

Post by Drumwoulf »

ishi wrote:I foolishly left my battery connected in my Buddy 125 during the winter months, and now the battery can't seem to charge up enough from just riding the scoot. At first it was able to manage a feeble start, but for the last week I've been kick-starting it.

My question: can I manage with buying a Battery Tender from scooterworks? Or must I actually spring for a whole new battery?

Also, is there some online documentation on how to access the battery?

Thanks!

-ishi
Who knows what you'll soon discover for yourself? 8)
-But buy the battery tender (FLOAT) charger anyway; then you won't have this problem again... :wink:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
rickko

Re: trickle charger or new battery?

Post by rickko »

ishi wrote:... can I manage with buying a Battery Tender from scooterworks? Or must I actually spring for a whole new battery?...
I concur, get your battery checked for free AND order the BT Junior. There are places on the net that cell it cheap. You just have to do a little searching.

Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

I suggest getting a battery tender/charger...
:P
For your CAR!!!!
:lol:
Yes we have a battery tender and have used it twice.
On the cars which are hardly ever driven anymore.
:lol:
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Funny; I have that battery tender for the car--got that before the scoot!

Can you charge the scoot's battery WITHOUT taking it out of the scoot??
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

pyrocpu wrote:Can you charge the scoot's battery WITHOUT taking it out of the scoot??
I have the tail thingy from the battery tender attached to my battery and just leave it there all the time. When I need to put the trickle charge on, I just plug it up and voila! No need to even take the mat and face plate off again after you've attached it the first time. You can reach the tail plug from underneath....pull it out when you need to charge.....stuff it back in when you're done.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Yep, me too. This is one area where the Buddy's have the edge over most other brands. There is just a little enough hole behind the battery to let the connector hang from below. THanks POCPhil for that tip.
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
rickko

Post by rickko »

I attached pigtail to battery then ran it forward (1st pic), then tuck it behind nameplate (2nd pic) when not in use.

Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568