using front rack

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasondavis48108

using front rack

Post by jasondavis48108 »

So I just got the black front rack mounted. I was curious to find out how other folks who have the front rack use it. The springs are pretty darn strong so I'm figuring I'll need to use some velcro strapping to hold it down when I want to put something on the rack (like a box or roll bag).

Does anyone know what the weight limit is for the front rack. I've read about 15lbs for the rear rack.

also, what do you use it for? I figure I'd use it when I take boxes to the post office and possibly for a roll bag to put tools in when I go for longer rides.

Heres a pic of the SheBeast! I think she kinda looks like a transformer scooter rhino now :D
Attachments
black_mods_front_copy.jpg
black_mods_front_copy.jpg (38.31 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I didn't get a front rack for my Buddy, but I sure like the look of your black and green. That's pretty sweet, and unique. Nicely done,

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
jasondavis48108

thanx! Around here there are quite a few Italias so i had to do something to distinguish mine from the others.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I use two strips of velcro to hold it down then various bungees to hold whatever I'm carrying... which is almost exclusively two six packs in a shopping bag. They fit perfectly, what can I say... :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jasondavis48108

awesome, I figured velcro would work best. I'm thinking about finding some sort of box that would fit on the front rack and then making some sort of fasteners that would hold it on there. That way I'd have an extra place to put stuff and it might look kinda cool, especially if I could get something like an ammo box and spray it black.
takora

Post by takora »

Does Genuine make that black rack? I just started looking for a front rack and was hoping for a black one, but so far have only seen chrome front racks for the Buddy. Are these new, did they just start making them?
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

takora wrote:Does Genuine make that black rack? I just started looking for a front rack and was hoping for a black one, but so far have only seen chrome front racks for the Buddy. Are these new, did they just start making them?
Yup. They're in the new catalogue your dealer has. POC-Phil posted a kitted-out BlackJack with the new black racks, crashbars, etc. :D
jasondavis48108

yeah, I don't think thier even on the scooterworks website yet. I just picked up the black rear rack cowl protectors and front rack this weekend. I really like the way they look on the scooter although I'm wondering how they'll hold up compared to the chrome. My chrome rear rack did very well holding up to michigan weather.
broke

Post by broke »

I posted some pictures last year of how I use the front rack:
viewtopic.php?p=99184&highlight=#99184

The black one looks cool.
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
jasondavis48108

thanks for the link Broke. seems like you can put quite a bit O' stuff on the front rack.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

jasondavis48108 wrote:awesome, I figured velcro would work best. I'm thinking about finding some sort of box that would fit on the front rack and then making some sort of fasteners that would hold it on there. That way I'd have an extra place to put stuff and it might look kinda cool, especially if I could get something like an ammo box and spray it black.
Ammo Boxes come in the olive drab, though.... It'd be a perfect fit to just leave them as they are - especially if they're a little banged up and scratched. Kinda goes with the whole theme, doesn't it?

I really love the Olive/Black paint. I did mine in Olive/Brown, but I debated long and hard about Brown vs Black. It came down to finding a brown that matched the color of the seat that we reupholstered. Excellent choice!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
jasondavis48108

Thanks I was just looking at some ammo boxes online. I think your right about leaving it the olive color. I might stencil some black art on it though. I love stenciling and I have a nice air brush that I havn't busted out in quite some time. The nice thing is that ammo boxes are fairly cheap so I could get a few of them and make each one different. You know, come to think of it, ammo boxes might make nice saddle bags as well. I could probably rivet some leather to the backs so they don't skratch the paint and make some straps that would go under the seat.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I guessed I completely missed what you'd do with the ammo boxes. I assumed that you'd use them for saddlebags, lol.

I'm anxious to see what you do with them :)

Custom Stenciling would be wicked cool :twisted:

Keep us posted!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Bungee nets! I love 'em for the front rack. I use 'em for the rear rack, too, as well as bungee cords.
ModBud #442
jasondavis48108

I saw some bungey nets at the dealer the last time I was in. They look pretty neat but I wasn't sure what size I should get.
redcass

Post by redcass »

To continue with this thread...I'm thinking about getting a front rack.

I have a Givi for my back rack, so for anything too wide, I need to bungee it over my seat. I'd like to not do that, hence the front rack.

What is the widest thing you've put on your front rack?

For instance, could I carry my yoga mat bag horizontally there, as long as I don't lean too much into turns? Has anybody done anything like that?

Sanks,
RedCass
RedCass
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

jasondavis48108,
Might you have a few more shots of your Bud you can post? It would be appreciated.Thanks...
Aerosmith, None Other.
jasondavis48108

what kind of shots? I've basically documented everything I have done to her so I have lots of pictures but they're mostly for insurance so thier not very artistic :) I did put some pics up recently with the 50 cal ammo box that I rigged up for the front rack.
Bobltc

Post by Bobltc »

I just carried a short case on my front rack to a 4th party.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Lostmycage wrote:I guessed I completely missed what you'd do with the ammo boxes. I assumed that you'd use them for saddlebags.
Hey now THATS a good idea, can I borrow it?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

KABarash wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:I guessed I completely missed what you'd do with the ammo boxes. I assumed that you'd use them for saddlebags.
Hey now THATS a good idea, can I borrow it?
Only if you post pics.