Blur died this morning

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tempalte

Blur died this morning

Post by tempalte »

On the way to work, my 2006 Blur quit running this morning. The engine just died during normal driving. I have about 6,000 miles on the bike and just had it serviced last week.

When I stopped, there is oil everywhere. I didn't try to start it again.

Any ideas what happened?

This is a 2006 blur, that I bought from the dealer in November 2007. Do you think genuine will give me a hard time on the warranty?
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Sounds like they didn't tighten your oil filter enough. That's very bad. Get it back to whoever did your service. If it's their fault they'll be liable.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The warranty starts from the point it was sold. So you should be good till November.

Did the dealer do the service? Where is the oil coming from?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I know you said that there was oil everywhere, but can you tell where you think the leak started? In other words, is it all over the oil cooler (would tend to support the loose filter theory), or is the cooler clean and it's just the engine that's soaked?
tempalte

Post by tempalte »

charlie55 wrote:I know you said that there was oil everywhere, but can you tell where you think the leak started? In other words, is it all over the oil cooler (would tend to support the loose filter theory), or is the cooler clean and it's just the engine that's soaked?
I didn't look to closely because I was dressed for work. But the middle spring (in the center of the blur) was completely covered in oil, the back tire had some oil on it.

I don't believe there was any oil on the front of the bike where the cooler is. The underneath, where engine/transmission is, was completely covered.

Right before the engine died, I heard this flapping sound. At first I thought it was a plastic bag coming loose that I had tied to the rear rack. The flapping sound lasted a few seconds, then the engine died.

I had the oil changed last week at the dealer and rode it about 5 times since then.

The dealer I bought the bike from is in another town, so I get it serviced at another genuine dealer. I am guessing the warranty lets any dealer work on the bike?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

It sounds a lot like the oil filter spinning off, especially if it got as high as the rear shock.

I'd take a look at the oil cooler and if you find it missing or raised up, I'd give that shop a call.

The flapping... could that have been the oil filter splooshing and tumbling behind you? It seems like it wouldn't be quite as sudden, but that's just a guess.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Wonder if one of your oil lines let go and was flapping around. I've always been a bit concerned about the way these lines extend below the frame making them vulnerable to road junk.

Can you see if the filter's still on the cooler?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

The oil filter is in the front of the blur by the cooler. If oil is all in the back it sounds more like gear oil. But then again it's random for oil to just come out while riding unless the filter wasnt tightened properly.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I gotta agree with oil filter as the suspect. Hopefully your dealer will stand behind it good.

Tip... when I changed the oil, once I got the oil filter on tight, I would put a mark on it that I could see through the front grill. Made it easy to check that it wasn't unwinding at all.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Gear oil wouldn't be able to get on the engine and rear shock if the bike were traveling forward. Maybe you rode through a wormhole?

Bad news on that front, I don't think wormholes are covered by the warranty. Let's hope you were traveling forward.
tempalte

Post by tempalte »

I dropped the blur off at the shop last night. I looked closer. The oil filter was still on and looked dry. No oil was on the front oil cooler.

From what I could see behind the panels, I am thinking one of the oil lines blew.

I turned the key and the engine fired up on the first spin (then I immediately shut it off). So I think the engine is ok.

the shop said they couldn't look at it until monday. I'll post back then.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

IF it does turn out to be an oil line, please, if you don't mind, try to find out the reason for the failure (i.e., ask the guys at the shop). I'm pretty sure that there's not enough pressure in the lines to cause them to burst, so I'd be interested in finding out if the failure looks like it was due to wear (normal rubbing/flexing) or damage from road junk, or maybe even a loose connection.

Thanks
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

00ps
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tempalte

Post by tempalte »

I just heard back from the shop on my Blur.

We found out what was leaking on your scoot. One if not both of the oil lines that run from the oil cooler got pinched by the shock and put a hole in the line. We are going to get those replaced and that should solve the issue.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Wow!

Thanks for passing that along. However, I'm sorta wondering if it was the shock itself, or some of the suspension linkage. Either way, I'm glad that you appear to have gotten away with just a mess as opposed to engine damage.

Guess where I'm going to be spending this evening? (hint: bailing wire, duct tape, rubber padding). I've never been thrilled with the routing of the oil line, and I guess now's as good a time as any to do something about it.

Thanks again.....
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Wow, I'm kinda surprised the Blur's cooler lines would run close enough to the shock for that to be any sort of issue. Glad it wasn't the end of your Blur!