Help me choose a new bike

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tshall

Help me choose a new bike

Post by tshall »

This is my first post, although I've been lurking and reading for a few months now. Thanks for all the information so far, and I hope to get some input on my current dilemma. I know this is the Buddy forum, so expect some bias in that direction, but there seems to be a whole lot of good experience here with many similar models.

I'm looking for a bike (my first) for city riding, on roads no more than 45mph limit, 5 mile each way commute. I've ruled out 50cc bikes as underpowered. I've visited the local Buddy dealer, and could get one for MSRP plus tax, tags and title. I've also been looking at the Kymco Agility 125, and wondering if the $700 MSRP difference is worth it. But, the styling is not terribly attractive to me, and the fit & finish not quite as good either.

Today, I happened on a 2008 Vino 125 for $2000 at another local dealer - traded in for a motorcycle by the previous purchaser. Fit and finish on these is good, and Yamaha's a good brand as far as I know. The reviews I've seen say it's not as "peppy" as the Buddy, but it seems like it would be enough. I'm primarily interested in reliability and suitability for urban traffic, not speed.

I've been looking at Craigslist locally (Louisville, KY) but have not seen any used Buddys come up.

So, I have two questions:
First, as between the two $2000 scoots, does anyone have strong opinions about a new Agility v. a slightly used (300 miles) Vino?

Second, should I forget about saving money and just go for the Buddy? Is it that much better? I noticed that I could take advantage of the 9 month financing deal on the Buddy, so at least spread out the payments a bit.

Thanks for any advice you might have for *yet another* newbie to all this.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

You wont be shun or looked down upon just because you might like another bike over the buddy, or purchase one.

Yamaha, makes nice quality bikes, I just dont like the styling of the vino personally. It looks naked to me on the top headset area.

The agility is made in China, now kymco is a reputable taiwanese company with quality just as good as PGO (who makes the buddy), they just decided to have a low priced 125cc bike by building it in main land china. Quality is good, but not as great as the other kymcos fit and finish, it's design quality, not craftsmanship quality type of thing.

The buddy is a great bike, it's not the cheapest, but it's one of them. Compared to more expensive bikes in similar displacement, for what you want to use it for, the buddy is perfect.
fiddlefan

Re: Help me choose a new bike

Post by fiddlefan »

tshall wrote:This is my first post, although I've been lurking and reading for a few months now. Thanks for all the information so far, and I hope to get some input on my current dilemma. I know this is the Buddy forum, so expect some bias in that direction, but there seems to be a whole lot of good experience here with many similar models.

I'm looking for a bike (my first) for city riding, on roads no more than 45mph limit, 5 mile each way commute. I've ruled out 50cc bikes as underpowered. I've visited the local Buddy dealer, and could get one for MSRP plus tax, tags and title. I've also been looking at the Kymco Agility 125, and wondering if the $700 MSRP difference is worth it. But, the styling is not terribly attractive to me, and the fit & finish not quite as good either.

Today, I happened on a 2008 Vino 125 for $2000 at another local dealer - traded in for a motorcycle by the previous purchaser. Fit and finish on these is good, and Yamaha's a good brand as far as I know. The reviews I've seen say it's not as "peppy" as the Buddy, but it seems like it would be enough. I'm primarily interested in reliability and suitability for urban traffic, not speed.

I've been looking at Craigslist locally (Louisville, KY) but have not seen any used Buddys come up.

So, I have two questions:
First, as between the two $2000 scoots, does anyone have strong opinions about a new Agility v. a slightly used (300 miles) Vino?

Second, should I forget about saving money and just go for the Buddy? Is it that much better? I noticed that I could take advantage of the 9 month financing deal on the Buddy, so at least spread out the payments a bit.

Thanks for any advice you might have for *yet another* newbie to all this.
Since the styling of the KYMCO Agility is not really doing it for you, I suppose you might want to leave that one alone. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me you tend to like the retro-styled scooters a little better, right?

I have never ridden a Yamaha Vino, but I have heard they are a bit short on the performance side of things. It's a great quality bike from what I have seen in-person. The local Honda store has had a beautiful Vino 125 sitting on their showroom floor for months and it hasn't sold yet. I also know a guy who has a super nice Vino 125 for sale on Craigslist, which also hasn't sold and it's been listed there for months also. I don't think the Vino's are moving too well for some reason(s).

As you can probably see by my avatar to the left, I ride a SYM Fiddle II 125. I really like the bike and I suggest you try one out. Find a dealer that carries SYM and Genuine and do a side-by-side comparison of the Buddy 125 and the Fiddle 125. There is a comparison article of these two scooters on justgottascoot.com that might also help you. I looked at both the Buddy 125 and the Fiddle 125 before I ended-up deciding to go with the Fiddle II. For me, it came down to a styling preference...I just liked the retro-styled lines better on the Fiddle II. And that is with all due respect to the Buddy.

I'm sure you couldn't possibly go wrong with either scooter, just get the one that has the most to offer based on what you are looking for. I can tell you that Genuine seems to have the marketing edge over SYM, which translates into a higher resale values for the Buddy. That said, you might be surprised at what you can pick up a pre-owned Fiddle II 125 for on Craigslist. Since SYM is not as widely known (yet) in the U.S., people are not as familiar with the brand and you can get awesome deals in the pre-owned market. Here's an example I found just tonight...a SYM dealer in Olympia, WA has a 2009 SYM Fiddle II 125, red on Craigslist for $1,599.00, a scooter that the MSRP is $2,598.00. I don't know how many miles it has on it or what the condition is, but that sounds like an incredible deal to me. I know that's a long way from you! I purchased my Fiddle II 125 with 1,635 miles on it, well-cared-for, with a SHAD SH-29 topcase, Binetto cover and a real thick cable lock for $1,600.00 from an individual who had it on Craigslist. I think that was a real sweet deal and I haven't regretted my purchase in the least!

You might also look at a KYMCO People 150. As you may know, KYMCO is also one of the top brands with a great reputation. From what I have heard the People 150 is a great scooter. There is also a review of this scooter on justgottascoot.com.

Good luck finding the perfect scooter for yourself!
It's official... I'm a "scootaholic"...even have the custom t-shirt to prove it.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I was in your situation two years ago, looking at the same three scoots. Except at the time there wasn't much info on the Agility. I would have gotten the Buddy, in part because of this board, but my size 13's just, don't, fit. The vino was too much $ new (and the comparisons on Just Gotta Scoot favored the Buddy.

So I was going to get the Agility. I was at the Kymco dealer nearest me ready to buy. But, noooo. The damn dealer had to go and show me something else. Long story short I got a demo HD200 for a good price.

No matter what you end up with, stick around. Because you can't beat Modern Buddy as a resource (and the Buddy is a great scoot too).
The majority is always sane - Nessus
holden

Post by holden »

Im pretty sure the buddy is the best thing a person could ever buy.

Thats just my newly formed opinion. I just got my scoot two days ago. 100 miles on it so far. Buddy 125 man.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Find the bike that suits you best.

Things to think about:
1. What am I going to use the scooter?
2. How does it fit me?
3. How much power do I need?
4. Does it fit my budget?
5. Do I like the styling?

Quality brands: Kymco, Genuine/PGO, SYM, Yamaha, Honda, Vespa, Piaggio.

I chose a Buddy over the Vino and Agility because of performance.
I chose a Kymco People 150 for a little more kick. The Buddy was handed down.
I chose a SYM HD 200 because my needs changed. The People was handed down and the Buddy was traded in.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

As you've probably learned, it's pretty hard to find a good new scooter for $2K. The Agility will probably outperform the Vino, which is a bit pokey for a scooter in this class. Though you say you only plan on riding on 45mph roads and for a short commute, once most people start riding, they quickly want to go past those boundaries.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Not sure of your height, but to me the vino is a little small (or to clarify the seat is too close to the ground). Just test them out, it'll come to you. I personally have a buddy 125, and love it!!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

pcbikedude wrote:Find the bike that suits you best.

Things to think about:
1. What am I going to use the scooter?
2. How does it fit me?
3. How much power do I need?

4. Does it fit my budget?
5. Do I like the styling?
+!

tshall, no matter what you end up getting, keep up on this forum. There's no other group of folks like this. You will get great info here even for other scooters!
Last edited by Tocsik on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Another consideration is the dealer. Which dealer is going to give you reliable support?
so tough, so pink
Vic

Post by Vic »

My sister started out with a Vino and it was a good little scooter, but the area that she rides has some fairly significant hills and my sister is a woman of generous proportions. She said that by the time she reached the top of some of the hills she was slowed down to about 25mph (by the speedometer, which means she was going even slower than that).

You might or might not have similar issues, but this is something to think about.

I do have another friend who is a very large man and he rides a Vino all over Seattle and has no problem, but he may just be willing to be going 25mph at the top of hills and not get all jumpy about it.

good luck with your new scooter purchase!

-v
walky08

Same conundrum

Post by walky08 »

Great comparison here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391884

After reading a lot, I have also set my A list straight:

Buddy 125
Fiddle
Vino
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Same conundrum

Post by ericalm »

walky08 wrote:Great comparison here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391884

After reading a lot, I have also set my A list straight:

Buddy 125
Fiddle
Vino
No scooter yet, walky? You've been looking for some time!

The Fiddle 125 is still a couple months from debuting in CA. The SYM reps told me they expect it earlier than what they say in their "official" releases (last mention was November, I think). They're managing expectations.

But you can get a Buddy right now! :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

We have had a Vino 125 as part of our little stable for the last 2 years. It is well made and has been quite reliable. Parts and dealers are available everywhere. Will not accelerate as hard as a Buddy in my experience but is completely adequate for around town riding. I'd say $2k for a year old used Vino in good condition (no damage, no mechanical problems) is a good bargain.
rickko

Post by rickko »

How a scooter looks is subjective but usually pretty important to an owner since you are the one who is going to look at everyday. Just like buying a black car. They look good but once you've owned one and had to keep it clean all the time it'll probably be the last black car you'll ever own.

Here ya go! $1500 2007 125cc

It's a long way from you but shipping can't be more than a couple hundred dollars. If you decide on a Buddy I'd think you could find one within a few hundred miles of where you live at a pretty decent price.

Good luck!
..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
robby

Post by robby »

I guess I'm the antithesis to what's described in the above post. When I was deciding between the Buddy and the Roughhouse, I actually wound up settling on the one whose appearance I didn't like as much, in favor of wheels and cargo space that were a bit more functional for my purposes. Do you have a local place where you can take all considerations for a spin?
Lookin' To Scoot

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

For your intended purpose, I agree with Dooglas, a practically new Vino at that price sounds ideal. Take if for a spin and see how if feels.

In my experience dealers tend to be more willing to bargain when it comes to used bikes. Although on a $2000 scooter you aren't likely to get a $500+ discount, I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get out the door with tax, tags, etc. for less than 2 grand.

Go for it!
walky08

No bike yet

Post by walky08 »

Dooglas wrote:We have had a Vino 125 as part of our little stable for the last 2 years. It is well made and has been quite reliable. Parts and dealers are available everywhere. Will not accelerate as hard as a Buddy in my experience but is completely adequate for around town riding. I'd say $2k for a year old used Vino in good condition (no damage, no mechanical problems) is a good bargain.
Not yet; waiting to see how I recovered from minor back surgery and I think I am very capable now of riding. Seriously, the Buddy is the best. Crunched between 125/150. I discarded Vespa some time ago, not financially practical. Not the moneys worth.
tshall

Post by tshall »

Thanks for all the replies. I suppose there's no such thing as a perfect bike, so I'll have to pick what's most important - price, looks, power, warranty - and make the best choice I can. Haven't seen any Buddies for sale locally, although I'd certainly be interested. I've been checking on Ebay, Craigslist, Scoot.net, and in the For Sale section here.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

+1 on a great dealer.

That may be large dissatisfier in getting a Vino. Some motorcycle dealerships treat scooterist as 2nd class citizens.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
mmilligan

another newbie looking to buy

Post by mmilligan »

Just started reading the forum recently and I just got done with my MSF course and getting my license a couple of weeks ago. I've been trying to figure out which scooter to get and have narrowed it down to a People 150 or a Buddy (not sure on 125 or 150).

I'm 5'5" so really want something that a shorter person can deal with. Any suggstions on what specifically to look at on the final decision? I haven't had a chance to ride the People yet but am wondering if the larger wheels and dual shocks in the back make it a lot smoother ride. There wouldn't be any highway driving as I'd consider that fairly suicidal here in Houston but some of the streets are pretty rough in places. Sometimes more patch than street.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

For seat height, you really need to go out and try the sitting position on scoots you are considering. You will find that the Buddy has a lower riding position than the Kymco People or a Vespa LX150. The Vino has an even lower riding position than the Buddy.
mmilligan

Post by mmilligan »

Yeah, that's been the plan. I could easily get my feet on the ground with a Buddy (not flat though) when I took it on a test drive. The specs on the People have it almost 2 inches taller so it will probably be close. I couldn't even get my feet flat on the Vino I used on the MSF course.

Maybe short stilts are in order... Or one of the motorized coolers... :?
louie

Post by louie »

that extra 2 inches will put you on tiptoes at best. my mc is about an inch taller than my buddy....and a 100lbs heavier.
i found some mc boots that give me an inch in the ball of my foot and 2 at the heal...it makes all the difference...i all but flatfoot on the buddy and good solid balls of my feet on the MC.

one of the first prerequisites for my buying is how easy it is for me to get the bike from on its stand to up-right. if that's not easy enough i move along.