Black Jack, thinking about changing the seat...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tentacles

Black Jack, thinking about changing the seat...

Post by Tentacles »

First post, hey guys!

I bought my first scooter on Monday (took the written on Wednesday and the skills on Friday, wild!) and I'm really enjoying my new ride.

I'm starting to wonder though, whether I'd be better off changing the seat on my Black Jack for the stock Buddy seat. I'm six foot, and no matter how I position myself, my legs feel cramped up by the handlebars.

It looks in the photos that I'd have room to move back a bit further with the stock Buddy seat - am I right?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Hi! Congrats and welcome to ModBud!

I'm not sure the regular Buddy seat will offer much of a difference, in fact, many of us covet the Black Jack seat as it's a true one person seat.

However, if you do want to swap, let me know and I'll swap you straight up for a gray "regular" Buddy seat!!!

Enjoy your scooter and hope to see you become a part of the great community here.
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

I'm 6'1" and have sat on the Blackjack seat and I am thinking about changing to the single Blackjack seat. It is a little more comfortable (not a whole lot) and I don't ride two up. I actually think there is more room with the Blackjack seat. Stick with what you have and save the 100+ bucks.
Tentacles

Post by Tentacles »

Interesting, thanks. I have to find some way to get a little more leg room, for sure. Just a couple of inches would do.

I really am enjoying the scoot, though. Great forum you have here! :)
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

I have a black Buddy seat I'll trade as well. I want a blackjack seat in the worst way.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
Tentacles

Post by Tentacles »

Before I get any more offers (thanks!!!) if I change the seat, I'll be keeping the original just in case I want to move to a larger machine in the future. :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I'm 6'3" and often sit nearly in the passenger's seat on the stock seat. I don't feel in any way that I'm "jammed into the handle bars" I've not ridden a blackjack, but sitting on one I felt that it was a bit tight for taller people. Likely the stock seat would be about right for you.
Tentacles

Post by Tentacles »

Thanks, Kaos.

Just messing about in Photoshop, it looks like I'd gain at least a couple of inches of usable seating with the stock seat:

Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

After riding from LA to San Jose last week I am very glad I have my stock St. Tropez seat. I am 6 1 1/2" and sit with my back just a couple of inches short of the top case. With the BJ seat this would not be possible. If I had to sit any closer to the front of my scooter than this the long trip would have been very uncomfortable and more tiring to say the least. I even removed my passenger footrests for some extra wiggle room on the trip but tucking my feet backwards is not what I needed. Stretching my legs forward is what I like.

I have to say though, the stock seats ample padding was awesome. My butt sends its thanks Genuine.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I'm only 5'9'' and I don't like the riding position of the Black Jack seat. I also prefer to sit back a bit too far for this seat. I guess I like the options of moving around and not having the ridge.
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
Tentacles

Post by Tentacles »

This would be the right part, wouldn't it?

http://www.scooterworks.com/Seat_Assy_B ... 14C551.cfm

Thanks!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:I have to say though, the stock seats ample padding was awesome. My butt sends its thanks Genuine.
I've noticed the same thing. The stock Buddy seat is much more comfortable than the stock Vino seat for instance. I changed out my Vino seat for the wide replacement seat from Motorsport. Big improvement and better padding like the Buddy. My Vino seat upgrade does have a "pocket" though and I do like that. I'm only 5'9" so the Blackjack seat may be an interesting option for me as well. (and, hey, that red pinstriping ought to look good with a red Buddy - and RED IS FASTER)
pdxrita

Black Jack seat for shorter person?

Post by pdxrita »

This thread makes me wonder about the exact opposite scenario - would a blackjack seat be shorter than a stock buddy seat? I can just barely get a toe down on the ground, perched on the front of the seat. If I move back at all, I can't even touch the ground. I'd love to know if that seat could gain a couple of inches for me, without having to chop anything down.
Kaos

Re: Black Jack seat for shorter person?

Post by Kaos »

pdxrita wrote:This thread makes me wonder about the exact opposite scenario - would a blackjack seat be shorter than a stock buddy seat? I can just barely get a toe down on the ground, perched on the front of the seat. If I move back at all, I can't even touch the ground. I'd love to know if that seat could gain a couple of inches for me, without having to chop anything down.
Ground to seat top wise, the BJ seat and stock seat are the same hight.
Its just shorter back-to-front.
Tentacles

Post by Tentacles »

Well, I've ordered the standard seat. I'll let you all know whether I find it to be an improvement! Thanks for the info, folks. :)
SWD

Post by SWD »

The Internationals have the most comfortable seat out of the entire Genuine line and I have ridden them all extensively. The Blackjack seat feels comfortable at first but the comfort quickly fades as you start to want to move back in the seat but cannot. The 125 seat material sucks. Genuine needs to learn to just offer a faux leather BLACK International style seat. I know many people have been looking for one.
brape

Post by brape »

I didn't realize the internationals had diffrent seats. Is it wrong that half the reason i picked my scooter was because it had a brown seat and the 08s didn't?
Tentacles

Post by Tentacles »

Following up!

topic11958.html

Much more comfortable. I'm very pleased.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I have never sat on a Black Jack seat. Think they look cool too. But I also do some longer rides where I slide back and forth on the regular seat to relieve butt pain and to stretch my legs and I'm only 5'9". I like the versitily of a full seat over a single.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
Philio81

Post by Philio81 »

I test rode the Black Jack recently while getting an oil change and enjoyed the low growl and maybe a bit more torque off the take off but seriously like my seat better. I slide back, move around more on my (sheepskin covered) seat and really felt cramped on the Black Jack (I'm 6 - 1") Makes me just appreciate what I've got!
Tentacles

Post by Tentacles »

Yup. I'm glad it was a $79 fix. I don't feel bad about that at all, given the other things that come preinstalled with the BJ.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

Tentacles wrote:Yup. I'm glad it was a $79 fix. I don't feel bad about that at all, given the other things that come preinstalled with the BJ.
for considerably more you can send the original seat to http://www.pirateupholstery.com/ and get a totally custom BlackJack seat built to your specifications.

just sayin...
Tentacles

Post by Tentacles »

Looks nice! Oh, I like the look of the Blur...

Tell you what though, I went for a ride last night and the regular seat is MUCH longer than the BJ seat. I can move back further than would even be practical. I'm going to suggest that anyone buying a BJ in the 6'0"+ range budget a new seat into the cost, 'cause (depending on your proportions) it may well be essential. It's a really quick change too, just two bolts.

Thanks for the info, everyone!
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

the short drivers area of the Blur seat was the primary reason I upgraded. once my wife got her own Buddy she didnt need the space behind me on the Blur. at 5'10 I felt cramped on the front of the Blur but the hump kept me from repositioning comfortably. after looking at Pirate's web site I knew exactly what I wanted. if you do go custom I know they have rebuilt Buddy seats and it seems like the BJ has the same seatpan/frame as the Buddy so your imagination is the only limit - Jay's expertise will amaze you. for the $80 you can keep leave the Buddy seat on the BJ if you ever upgrade and keep the rebuilt Pirate seat for your new ride :wink:
jd

Post by jd »

This is an old post but I'm commenting in case others search for, and discover, it for the same reasons as I.

We picked up a used 2009 Blackjack this week for my wife. She already had a Buddy 125, which she loved, but she wanted a little more power and secure handling. The Blackjack had only 850 miles on it and we got it for $1,900 so it was hard to refuse.

The first thing she noticed was that she didn't care for the BJ seat. She's 5'7" and likes to sit back a bit on the seat, which she can't do on the shorter one. Also, it's "cushier" which makes the bike seem less rigid to her.

I rode it and, while I didn't notice the perceived rigidity issue, I am concerned about how comfortable the softer base will be over time, I started to feel cramped, and I'm only 5'9". So I swapped the seats on her 125 and the BJ and she's much happier. Wife happy, I'm happy.

Now I just need to decide whether or not to (1) buy another standard seat and keep the BJ seat in case I sell the bike at some point in the future, or (2) put the BJ seat on the 125 and let the next owner have it.

jd
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.