Could Use Some Guidance Towards a Decision..

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

qually

Could Use Some Guidance Towards a Decision..

Post by qually »

Hey everyone,
I apologize in advance for the redundant question. I've been lurking here for a while & have been completely obsessed about getting a Buddy. Taking my permit test next week & ready to pull the trigger on either a 125 or an International. I'm having a problem deciding. I work a couple miles from home, not worried about that, & I'm never going to get on the freeway & I'll be alone 90% of the time.
My main concern is for when I want to de-stress & take a cruise on some beautiful streets that are 5-10 miles away up some slightly windy roads. Would the 125 suffice for weekend cruising at 35-40mph up gradual hilly streets? In all honesty, if the Internationals had darker colors available, I would have made my decision long ago & gone with the 150. Most of my time has ben spent wondering how I can make the Pamplona or Italia darker & tougher looking without spending a ton. I don't want to stress the engine out or not be able to get out of a sticky situation. Guess I'm just wondering if anyone has a 125 & after purchasing wished they'd gotten a 150 for the riding they're now doing. I'm an over-thinker & it's starting to drive me nuts, as I plan to buy one or the other in the next week or so. I'd appreciate any feedback & thanks again for reading this!
Last edited by qually on Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

yes you are an over thinker. and this is the kind of question that gets this forums shorts in a knot. :lol: welcome to the forum. i think you'll be happy with the 125. if not there are many board members who can advise on giving it a little boost. besides, if you don't like the color of the internationals you don't have to buy it for a wee 25cc more. good luck.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Could Use Some Guidance Towards a Decision..

Post by jrsjr »

qually wrote:My main concern is for when I want to de-stress & take a cruise on some beautiful streets that are 5-10 miles away up some slightly windy roads. Would the 125 suffice for weekend cruising at 35-40mph up gradual hilly streets? I'm an over-thinker & it's starting to drive me nuts
Okay, I'm going to play devil's advocate and say, 125. Here's the thing. Either the 125cc Buddy will have enough torque to pull those hills or not, but either way it will be close. Ride it for a while and, if you find it hasn't got enough torque, kit it with the 161cc cylinder kit. The kit is not expensive. The kitted 125 will have more torque than the 150 and you'll still have the color you wanted.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

jrsjr wrote: Okay, I'm going to play devil's advocate and say, 125. Here's the thing. Either the 125cc Buddy will have enough torque to pull those hills or not, but either way it will be close. Ride it for a while and, if you find it hasn't got enough torque, kit it with the 161cc cylinder kit. The kit is not expensive. The kitted 125 will have more torque than the 150 and you'll still have the color you wanted.
:+!: Couldn't have said it better myself.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jrsjr wrote:
qually wrote:My main concern is for when I want to de-stress & take a cruise on some beautiful streets that are 5-10 miles away up some slightly windy roads. Would the 125 suffice for weekend cruising at 35-40mph up gradual hilly streets? I'm an over-thinker & it's starting to drive me nuts
Okay, I'm going to play devil's advocate and say, 125. Here's the thing. Either the 125cc Buddy will have enough torque to pull those hills or not, but either way it will be close. Ride it for a while and, if you find it hasn't got enough torque, kit it with the 161cc cylinder kit. The kit is not expensive. The kitted 125 will have more torque than the 150 and you'll still have the color you wanted.
Thats not devil's advocate. I would say the same thing. The 125 has more torque than the 150. Most people can hold 50 up a decent hill and do 60+ on flats.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

I have a 125 totally stock and my husband and I just went on an overnight camping trip, about 250 miles round trip. He rode a 250 dual sport bike and I rode the scooter, with me (weighing in at 175 lbs) and camping gear. We were on one stretch of road that was 55 mph and hilly, really hilly. It was also very twisty so no one was going 55 mph anyway. I did top out a couple of times at about 45 mph (gps, not speedometer) but other than those twisty uphills I was fine. I do prefer the 45 mph roads, and I never have any problem with those.

Oh yeah, I commute 25 miles to work on the scooter on a regular basis. (50 miles to and back)
qually

Post by qually »

Thank you all for the quick responses. I really appreciate the input. Seems I'll do alright with the 125. Can't wait!!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

qually wrote:Thank you all for the quick responses. I really appreciate the input. Seems I'll do alright with the 125. Can't wait!!
Excellent! Also, welcome to MB and scootering!

Be sure to check out the :arrow: <a href="topic1354.html#15213">New Members Thread</a>!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

The 125 has more torque than the 150. Most people can hold 50 up a decent hill and do 60+ on flats.
Welcome! And I'll throw in my vote for the 125. It'll get you wherever you need to go. I've done a solid 55 BS up some pretty steep hills.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Ditto on the 125. I ride 35 miles round trip to work on roads where I regularly do 50+ BMH and have no problem. Although...I must admit I'm hankering to see what Genuine has in store for the bigger cc scoots next year. .......if only they came in Pink!!!! :sigh:
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

qually wrote:Hey everyone,
I apologize in advance for the redundant question. I've been lurking here for a while & have been completely obsessed about getting a Buddy. Taking my permit test next week & ready to pull the trigger on either a 125 or an International. I'm having a problem deciding. I work a couple miles from home, not worried about that, & I'm never going to get on the freeway & I'll be alone 90% of the time.
My main concern is for when I want to de-stress & take a cruise on some beautiful streets that are 5-10 miles away up some slightly windy roads. Would the 125 suffice for weekend cruising at 35-40mph up gradual hilly streets? In all honesty, if the Internationals had darker colors available, I would have made my decision long ago & gone with the 150. Most of my time has ben spent wondering how I can make the Pamplona or Italia darker & tougher looking without spending a ton. I don't want to stress the engine out or not be able to get out of a sticky situation. Guess I'm just wondering if anyone has a 125 & after purchasing wished they'd gotten a 150 for the riding they're now doing. I'm an over-thinker & it's starting to drive me nuts, as I plan to buy one or the other in the next week or so. I'd appreciate any feedback & thanks again for reading this!
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Buddy Black Jack. It's dark, and 150cc...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------