tire/tube question

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

xtetra

tire/tube question

Post by xtetra »

My 06 Buddy 125 came with tubeless tires, I've had to replace the valve stem on the back twice now. Saturday I didn't have a valve stem handy but was able to get a tube. Seems to handle fine at all speeds, is there any reason I SHOULDN'T stay with the tube?

Still using the stock type tires. Will probably get a set of Michelins when fall comes.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Intheknow

Post by Intheknow »

Replace the valve stem with a heavy duty metal one. Tube tires suck. They have a crappy ride and generally require much more work to balance them correctly. If you don't they will suck at higher speeds.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Confused.

The Stella comes with tubed tires since it has split rims. So you have to use a tube unless you luck into the overpriced tubeless rims.

You should always replace the tube when you change tires for safety sake.

I've not had any issues with the ride because it has tubes. And I am even running tubeless tires (Michelin S83s) with the tubes.

Be sure to get the tubes with the 90 degree stem for the Stella.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I could have sworn i posted in this thread the day it was made.

Ah, I clicked the wrong forum, clicked stella instead of general forum.
murmur

Post by murmur »

Are we talking about a Stella or a buddy? I opted for the tubless rims on my Stella. Yeah, they cost some, but it gives me peace of mind.
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

We're talking about the Buddy. I think I may have posted the same question on the Stella forum by mistake.

I don't know, I've had two valve stems go bad on me now with tubeless tires. Even though you have to pay more attention to tire pressure with inner tube tires at least the valve stems are a bit more rigid. (At least to me like it to me.) Kinda 50/50 in a way maybe.

Having said that, I did have these 8 ball valve caps on and while they don't really weigh much they ARE heavier than a plain old plastic dust cap. I wonder if that tiny bit of weight caused the stems to bend to one side over time and then tare at the base?

In any case, if you do have a tire deflate at 50mph I've found that 4:30 am on an empty road is a pretty good time for it to happen :wink:
mehoppy

switching to Maxxis 100/90x10 on my 2007 Buddy Italia

Post by mehoppy »

I've been thinking about going tubeless. My scoot has the original tires and I only have a little over 1,000 miles on it but, I've been riding longer and faster group rides with lots of S curves and hills. Does anyone have a suggestion regarding tires?
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

A lot of my riding is "high speed" The stock tires have always been fine. The shortcoming is the valve stem.

Do you have the buddy 125 or 50? As I understand the 50 has tube tires and the 125s are tubeless.

My local shop (which is not a Genuine dealer) sells some that are made by Michelin (I'm pretty sure they're Mitchs') If I remember correctly he said that they are meant to be used with tubes and are made from a softer rubber which grips better in the wet and the cold. I don't recall what the tread pattern looked like exactly but it was more aggressive than the stock tires. I've got plenty of life left in mine but given the weather for much of the year in my area I'm going to switch to them when these are ready to be replaced.