Watching the Harley Man's Eyes Open

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BlackInkSpot

Watching the Harley Man's Eyes Open

Post by BlackInkSpot »

So, for the past three days I've rode my Buddy to work. (more about that in a different post). It took me a while to find a *legal* and *safe* place to park downtown. (I could find one or the other, but it took a while for both and I'm not interested in a stolen Buddy or a ticket).

Anyhow, I found a garage that would let me park and was manned for the entire time it was open as well as being secure, out of the elements - it was perfect (the six to seven block walk sucks, but whatever). The first day I drove up and was greeted by "Ron", the morning guy. He was kind of like "Yeah sure, you can park here. Ain't no one touching shit while I"m here" - He's a nice big gruff harley guy. He didn't say much more to me.

Yesterday, I came in and he said "You look very peaceful when you ride in" and I was like "Yeah. it's nice and it clears my head and readies me for the day". Nothing more to day.

This morning as I'm walking towards the exit, he stops me and says "It's beautiful riding weather, but you know we're gonna get rain" and I said "Yeah. that sucks" and then he said "So uh, do you live up in Clifton (which is right next to downtown Cincinnati where I work)" and I said "No man, I live in Lockland" and his eyes got all wide and he said "You drive that thing all the way from there?!?!" and I said "Yeah sure, no problems. Just hope on, get on vine street, to spring grove, to dalton, to mehring way" and he nodded and said "Yeah, but that must be a long commute when you can only go 35" and I said "35?? Nah man, this things will do 60 - maybe more, but I haven't pushed it that hard" and he said "HOLY SHIT?!?! Are you serious? That little thing can go that fast?" and I said "Yeah, it's awesome man" and then he said "And how many miles do you get to the gallon?" and I said "Somewhere around 100.." and his eyes got all wide again and said "Well shit, you scooter people are smart. I'd let you ride with us anyday...". He winked and I chuckled. As I was leaving he said, "Hey maybe you can show it to me the next morning you come with it if you've got the time. I'm really interested in seeing it's mechanics" I nodded and smiled, "Yeah, sure if I've got the time"

It was an empowering moment. I had won over the harley man.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

It amazing what a little curiousity and a bit of education can do. Good job spreading the word what an efficient and fun way to travel scootering is. :wink:
Laura
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

I've been lurking on this board for awhile, but I just had to post on this because 1. I used to live in cincy and I know the exact roads you are speaking about, and 2. the harely man makes me smile. When I move back, hopefully there will be a buddy scootering group that I can join!
macgawd

Re: Watching the Harley Man's Eyes Open

Post by macgawd »

BlackInkSpot wrote:So, for the past three days I've rode my Buddy to work. (more about that in a different post). It took me a while to find a *legal* and *safe* place to park downtown. (I could find one or the other, but it took a while for both and I'm not interested in a stolen Buddy or a ticket).
Not to change the subject, but how can you be given a ticket for a street-legal vehicle that has to be licensed by the state?

Michael
BlackInkSpot

Re: Watching the Harley Man's Eyes Open

Post by BlackInkSpot »

macgawd wrote: Not to change the subject, but how can you be given a ticket for a street-legal vehicle that has to be licensed by the state?

Michael
Well I can be given a ticket for not parking in a proper parking spot. Parking it on the sidewalk isn't legal here and well, metered parking spots aren't the place I'd like to have to park my scooter all day and have to run out all the time to feed the meter. I'm pretty sure my work would suffer. Some around here park them on sidewalks and they chain them to posts and stuff. Sure it's "safe" but it's not legal.
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

I got the same thing the other day. I pulled up to the pump and a guy in a truck took notice of my scooter. He told me he rode bikes and started asking about the scooter. When I told him it got 100 miles to the gallon he about fell over. He's not the only one either I get it at least once a week from all kinds of people. Had guy on a bike with a sidecar doing wheelies to show off last week.
DUTCH

Post by DUTCH »

I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO GIVE UP MY REAL IDENTITY IN THIS POST......I JUST SOLD MY HARLEY TWO WEEKS AGO TO BUY ONE OF THESE THINGS!!!!! OK.....OK....I LOVED MY HARLEY BUT YOU KNOW THE MEANING TO H.D. = "HUNDRED DOLLARS" NO MATTER WHAT YOU BUY FOR IT. NOW THAT I'VE SOLD MY 1200cc CUSTOM AND PURCHASED THIS LITTLE "BIG" 125cc BUDDY I THINK I HAVE HAD 10 TIMES THE FUN B/C IT IS SO CHEEP AND JUST AS MUCH FUN RUNNING AROUND HERE AND THERE WITHOUT THE GUILT OF SPENDING PILES OF MONEY FOR A LITTLE FREEDOM AND SOME WIND IN THE FACE!!!! NUF SAID!!!!
I DON'T GET THE SAME KIND OF LOOKS AND WOWS FROM BY-STANDERS, BUT I CAN WALK AWAY FROM THE MIGHTY-MITE WITH A SMILE ON B/C OF THE WADS OF $$$$$ IN MY POCKET NOW. OH..... AND WHEN YOU TELL THOSE FEW STUCK UP "BIG-BORE" S.O.B's, THAT GIVE YOU CRAP FOR RIDING A SCOOTER, THAT YOU GET 103mpg. ON A $2500.00 MACHINE YOU KNOW THAT THEY REALLY ARE GREEN WITH ENVY DOWN IN THE BOTTOM OF THEIR CAST IRON HEARTS. I KNOW CUZ I JUST CAME FROM THAT SIDE OF THE MONEY PIT.
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO ON THESE DREAM MACHINES AND DO HOPE I CAN SHARE WITH YOU SOME INFO IN RETURN TO MAKE THIS LITTLE RIDE TWICE AS ENJOYABLE. THANKS AGAIN FROM THE BORN AGAIN.

DUTCH
JUST SOME GOOD CHEAP FUN!!!
sparty

Post by sparty »

DUTCH, glad you made the decision... welcome to the Buddy club. Take it easy on the CAPs though. it is rather hard to read when your paragraph is in CAPs.
DUTCH

Post by DUTCH »

Sorry, I'm a draftsman in construction, so it happens by habit. I guess it all comes from making sure people see what I write in details. Thanks for the welcome. I am yet to find a group of riders who are not the most supportive and kind people on the face of our planet. I still get HOG and sport bike riders giving me the salute as I pass by on my humble little single cylinder. I think everyone looks out for eachother and cares b/c we know what we're doing it for....enjoyment!!! Not forgetting that riding is the most fun a person can have with there cloths on.
JUST SOME GOOD CHEAP FUN!!!
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

God Bless ya Dutch!
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

welcome Dutch. Harley riders have been very cool to me. the first I met was an older gentleman, life long harley an bmw rider who said he did not ride motorcycles anymore, but tore across the street to come ask questions and admire the sound of the engine. the second encounter was at a local bikers bar. I know we set ourselves up for rejection, but I like the place (an went before we had the Buddy's). At first there was a little snickering when we came in, but the they could not stop stealing glances at them. finally they could take it no more an came over to ask questions and gush. I get a lot more smiles and nods on the road than snickers. and those that snicker may just be jealous!
ctrent

Post by ctrent »

black, where do you work?

on court street -- down by the courthouse, there are always motorcycles parked on that block in the zebra striped spaces -- and never get tickets. i parked my scoot there with no problem.

i think it's the only block like that, or so i hear. but it may be closer. not sure.

i'm looking for a decent lock for my stella

(also, saw a creme buddy coming up ludlow -- from northside to clifton -- on saturday. asked seth about it today. he said they've sold a couple)
BlackInkSpot

Post by BlackInkSpot »

I work down at Fourth and Main (most of the time I'm not standing on the corner!). I actually don't mind the parking situation now and I know that someone is watching my bike for me all day long - so I don't mind paying for it. :)

Do you work downtown too?

That might have been me on Saturday as I was driving all over the place...If you saw someone wearing huge pink sunglasses and a white helmet (and I mean huge and I'm not trying to be fashionable - just shield my eyes!) that would have been me.
ctrent

Post by ctrent »

yeah, but i work right downtown on court. i can look out the window and see my scoot

but i don't take it there when i have to work late