How will the new 2010 Stella effect the 2 stroke Stella's ?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dens7

How will the new 2010 Stella effect the 2 stroke Stella's ?

Post by dens7 »

If the 2010 Stella is a 4 cycle....what do you all think this will mean for the 2 stroke Stella's in terms of value and collectability?? Is anyone thinking of buying another 2 stroke just to have it??
PeterC

How will

Post by PeterC »

It won't affect mine in the least. Seriously, there may be a bit of a jump in prices asked by sellers of 2-stroke sellers. Even the once much-ridiculed Vespa P200E ("P-too common," etc.) has developed a collectors' following. If the new 4-stroke Stella has a 200cc or larger engine, I think it will be a smashing success. If Genuine decides to make it a CVT-only and abandons the manual shift enthusiasts, it will be a great loss.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Ooops. Second sentence should read "Seriously, there may be a bit of a jump in prices asked by sellers of 2-stroke Stellas."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The 2-T Stella won't be replaced immediately; it'll be phased out over 2010/2011.

The 4T is a 150cc manual, but from reports so far it has all the power of the 2T. We'll have to see once more people get to ride them.

As for the value of 2T Stellas, it'll be a year or more before there's much effect. But even after the Stellas went out of production a few years ago, used prices on them didn't skyrocket. (I wouldn't go buy a bunch of 2Ts and sit on them, waiting for the day they're worth their weight in gold.) For the near future, they still won't retain value or appreciate as well as the better-known Vespas. In a decade or so they may develop their own following. They could be the Allstates of the future.

A CVT version of the Stella would sell like gangbusters. If it was a 250, performed well, and was priced less than a Vespa GTS, it'd be a big hit. Same goes for a 150 priced less than an LX. It wouldn't be a Stella, though, and I'd hope it would bear a different name.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

How will a 4-stroke Stella affect her standing in the 2 stroke crowd? Right now, Stella is accepted in the same groups as vintage scoots. Will she still be accepted because the new variation will be a shifter or will she be relegated to the modern scoot crowd?

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Howardr wrote:How will a 4-stroke Stella affect her standing in the 2 stroke crowd? Right now, Stella is accepted in the same groups as vintage scoots. Will she still be accepted because the new variation will be a shifter or will she be relegated to the modern scoot crowd?

Howard
Somewhere in between.

It will probably be regarded like the Bajaj 4 strokes from recent years, with varying levels of acceptance.

Honestly, there are those who don't consider anything made after 1981 (when Vespa departed the US market) or certainly after '01 after they returned as a legit "vintage" scoot regardless of stroke, transmission, etc. You can find owners of any year or type of scoot who would exclude others from some category based on whatever arbitrary qualifiers they come up with to make themselves feel more special.

I'd think most people with an appreciation for a 2T Stella would also appreciate the 4T provided performance is similar.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

00ps
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

iwabj wrote:
ericalm wrote:They could be the Allstates of the future.
That would be cool-- but when the Allstates were rolling new wasn't the Scooter market in the US tremendously small compared to today --relatively speaking of course?
Yes… it's not a precise analogy. :)

Allstates were available for 15 years, though, so by the late '60s there were probably many more in the US than there are Stellas at this point. Sears was the largest retailer in the country (probably world) during those years.
scooterjon
Banned

Post by scooterjon »

Ericalm wrote:

A CVT version of the Stella would sell like gangbusters. If it was a 250, performed well, and was priced less than a Vespa GTS, it'd be a big hit. Same goes for a 150 priced less than an LX. It wouldn't be a Stella, though, and I'd hope it would bear a different name.
No it would not be a Vespa. Imitation is never Genuine.

Jon
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

scooterjon wrote:
Ericalm wrote:

No it would not be a Vespa. Imitation is never Genuine.

Jon
I said it wouldn't even be a Stella, really… :?: