2009 Buddy does NOT have a 1.6 Gallon Tank

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

taishar

Post by taishar »

fs8gbe wrote:wow, it's cold in orlando...
I don't follow ? Frost obviously misread everything in my post. I went over 100 miles on the tank, not 80. It wasn't vapor lock, as I'm quite aware of what that is, and I haven't overfilled my tank repeatedly to have caused such a thing. It's pretty obvious when it's run out of gas, as, the tank is empty, and it won't fire up.

I actually did try starting it up about 1/4 mile into my walk to see if enough of the tiny amount of gas in the tank had been sloshed into a position that could be sucked into the engine and at least get me a little distance. In addition, as can be seen from every other later post, no one with a newer model buddy with a metal tank can get more than ~1.2 gallons into the tank. So obviously the metal tank is smaller than the plastic tank where people can routinely put over 1.4 gallons in.

I didn't appreciate the underlying implications that I'm an idiot who doesn't know anything and who caused his own problem.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

just being silly and giving you a hard time...

**backs away from the bar quietly**

:-)
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I think I just came the closest to ever running out of gas. I was really worried b/c I was in the middle of nowhere Ohio along the Ohio river. I managed to scoot 18 miles with the needle pegged on E and put in 1.55 gallons. I could still see some gas in the tank and was surprised I got so much in. I have an '07 buddy with the plastic tank for those keeping track.
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Just read over the thread and saw my comments. For the sake of keeping info in the same spot, I tested filling my 33-ounce MSR bottle at a pump a little while after posting that.
Trust me, you don't want to do it. Fill it from something else. :rofl:

FYI and so you may learn from my mistakes...and not reek of fuel for the next couple hours. ;)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Cheshire wrote:Just read over the thread and saw my comments. For the sake of keeping info in the same spot, I tested filling my 33-ounce MSR bottle at a pump a little while after posting that.
Trust me, you don't want to do it. Fill it from something else. :rofl:

FYI and so you may learn from my mistakes...and not reek of fuel for the next couple hours. ;)
Um, yeah. I got a gas can and some funnels for my fuel bottles. I have yet to fill them but may test it all soon.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

i put 1.486 gallons in my 07 125 after i pushed it about 2 blocks after i ran out of gas :oops: saturday afternoon.
Vic

Post by Vic »

for filling up fuel bottles, get a 1 gal gas can and fill it up from the pump.

Then get whatever kind of siphon setup that strikes your fancy (I went the cheap and simple route and got the kind that has a little bulb syringe thing like you use to get the snot out of a baby's nose and tubing).
Then, just siphon the gas from the gas can into the fuel bottle, control how fast the fuel transfers by picking up the fuel bottle and whatever you do, do NOT fill the fuel bottle past the "Fill Line".

No stinky clothes, and it is doen and over with quite easily.

Oh, yeah, and you don't look like an idiot trying to juggle the end of the pump and the small opening of the fuel bottle. 8)

-v
skibum

Post by skibum »

k1dude wrote:I've never gotten more than 1.2 gallons in. My tank also drops from 1/4 to empty really quick. (I edited my original post because I checked my fuelly account and noticed I've put in 1.2 gallons a couple times).

I've always suspected the tank was smaller than the reported 1.6 gallons. So I've never pushed it more than 10 miles once the needle hits the peg on empty.
I have EXACTLY the same experience as k1dude, and my MPG has been creeping up as the miles roll up - currently at around 4300 miles.
TVB

Post by TVB »

skibum wrote:I have EXACTLY the same experience as k1dude, and my MPG has been creeping up as the miles roll up - currently at around 4300 miles.
4300mpg is pretty impressive. :)

I've had the opposite experience: I got over 100mpg the first month I had my 50cc, but lately it's been 85-90mpg.
BGTsoccer1

Post by BGTsoccer1 »

I got my 150 pamplona a few weeks back. 1st fill up was at 60 miles, put in 1.2 gal. 2nd fill up still had some left and put in exactly 1 gal. that got me 70 mpg. Hopefully the mpg keeps increasing as the scoot gets broken in. Either way it is really nice to go to the gas station and fill up 2 scooters for $5. So glad I bought the buddies!
BGTsoccer1

Post by BGTsoccer1 »

ericalm wrote:Brunton makes a 1L fuel bottle (33.8oz). You can get them for about $10-$12 on eBay.
Found this Bottle on this site:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/brunton-1-0 ... el-10.html

Only $8.80 and if you spend $30 you get free shipping. We bought 4 of the 1L Brunton bottles for $35.20 shipped

Just placed the order today so don't take this post as being a legit site. We will see when I get my order. I have never heard of opticsplanet.net so hoping for the best!

*************UPDATE******************
So just got an email a few hours later that these are out of stock but they plan to have some in withing 5-10 days. My order is officially on hold.

*************UPDATE******************
As of today (7/31/2009) they shipped my 4 canisters so the link may have them availible again.