whats up with scooter clubs and alcohol?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

djelliott

Post by djelliott »

iMoses wrote:I thought scooters and beer was like air and breathing?? Just a normal, every day thing.

Though, truth be told... I will have only 1 at most with food... and if there is no food involved I usually stick to water, soda or tea.

I would hate to get into an accident (especially if it's not my fault) and get the short end of the stick because I had 1 beer.

Ride safe!!
HAHAHA, the thread finally came full circle. :wink:
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I still want my beer and burger. I think I'll ride up to 5-Guys tonight, pick up some burgers, swing by Kroger and get some nice Imperial Ale then ride back home and enjoy the best things in life (for today). Heck, I might even take a nap! Then go see a movie! Yeah!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Lookin' To Scoot

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

I spoke with a man this morning and discussed with him the topic of drinking and scooter clubs.

He thought for some time and then he said "Although I do not always drink at scooter meetups, when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

He finished our conversation by saying "Stay thirsty my friend".

I haven't been able to work all day thinking about the words of this most interesting man.
digital-entropy

Post by digital-entropy »

Well, no one really answered my question (regarding homebrewing), but I think I'm going to cap off Friday buy riding out to the brew store and picking up some things to make a nice dark Porter. Tomorrow it'll be brewed followed up no doubt by another nice scoot somewhere, location TBD.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

digital-entropy wrote:Well, no one really answered my question (regarding homebrewing), but I think I'm going to cap off Friday buy riding out to the brew store and picking up some things to make a nice dark Porter. Tomorrow it'll be brewed followed up no doubt by another nice scoot somewhere, location TBD.
My neighbor homebrews and I'm one of his official taste testers.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

Lookin' To Scoot wrote:I spoke with a man this morning and discussed with him the topic of drinking and scooter clubs.

He thought for some time and then he said "Although I do not always drink at scooter meetups, when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

He finished our conversation by saying "Stay thirsty my friend".

I haven't been able to work all day thinking about the words of this most interesting man.
HAHAHA! :rofl:
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Scoots & drinking is an individual club by club thing

Post by Portland_Rider »

You are right. Drinking and riding is wrong.

Where I live, the largest of the Clubs (Oregon Scooter Club) is not focused on drinking and riding. Safety is number one.

Risk-takers who drink and then want to ride with the group would probably be told that they cannot join the ride or even to leave the club if the problem became serious.

BTW, Portland is known for its micro-brew pubs and fun-loving crowd. Sure, during the week after work a smaller segment of the club might meet one day a week at a brew pub. However, it would be a casual social event and not a heavy drinking party and especially not a prelude to riding itself; especially if members rode their scoot over to the pub.

Next month, after a long ride the club is having an overnight camping party. Then there will be made available great BBQ and kegs of beer. No one is riding home that night.
Sombre-clair

Re: Scoots & drinking is an individual club by club thin

Post by Sombre-clair »

Portland_Rider wrote:
Next month, after a long ride the club is having an overnight camping party. Then there will be made available great BBQ and kegs of beer. No one is riding home that night.
We don't have kegs in utah :(
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

about an hour drive and you can get one :twisted:
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
laxer

Post by laxer »

bigbropgo wrote:about an hour drive and you can get one :twisted:
Seriously, I mean, how hard is it to drive to Wyoming from SLC? C'mon!
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

it's not the drive, it's how do you carry a keg, on a buddy?
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

OMG,, the boogey man!!

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

,, ok i was in 28 day treatment in `07, i learned how to get along with other people in a 28 program ( i checked myself in), i went on to stay in AA for about 18 months after that.,, what i saw in the hundreds of meeting were alot of people obsessed w/ their sobriety., granted there were also alot of "liquor ccycles" @ every meeting, ( maybe you could try there for a club, good resource anyway)hmm where could i find tee-total scooterist.,, but all you would talk about would be issues related to the big book and AA,, isn`t that the reason you have a scooter for a hobby, i mean as i recall AA suggests getting a hobby or return to the one you left for drinking.
personally i would`nt want to ride w/a bunch of caffine junkies ready to jump
out @ the first loud noise.
, I drink these days, as a chef i work w/alcohol everyday. i don`t stick my hand in the saw no more than a carpenter would using his tools. I am not afraid of alcohol, i know i had a drinking problem,i took time off to learn again how to drink. My club meets @ bars, ( i once suggested the sonic drive in for some retro feel), i can`t walk thru life thinking a drink is gonna jump down my throat and take me out of control and i will never
be the same again,. most guys in my club have 2 beers i noticed a couple have more but no one is gonna let anyone ride impaired, period.
I drink non-alcohol beer, Becks is really good,Buckler is made by Heineken
which i like as well. before i started back drinking, i went out to a hockey game (at a bar) i drank 1 beer and had some wings, that was it , water the rest of the nite. that to me was the test, to have a 2 drink limit these days, it is just what works for me,i don`t crave a drink and being @ a bar
is nothing,, alcohol is everywhere in our society, so get used to it and the sooner you do, the sooner it won`t be an issue.
,, what i hear is someone that is not yet comfortable in their problem, i.e
alcohol, it has nothing to do w/scooters.,,AA is a great thing for alot of people and it has saved millions of people., 1 out of 3 people in the USA
know or are affected by someone in AA. that is a big deal.
i`m 50 y/o, i probably have 25-30 years of my life left. i am not gonna
stress anymore about what i can or cannot do. during my sobriety i found out that i like to drink, and i like to not be hungover. so if you can have 2 drinks you don`t have a problem. if you can`t have 2 drinks you have a problem.,, thanks for letting me share
ride safe
laxer

Post by laxer »

Wheelz wrote:it's not the drive, it's how do you carry a keg, on a buddy?
A wise man once had this quote in his signature: "Put the fun between your legs!" I think it applies here :D
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
Ray Knobs wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:If scooter culture is wrapped up in booze then its a culture that I probably don't want first person contact with.

It's human nature, gathering and drinking. I doubt it has anything do with scooters.
Oh I'm sure it doesn't. Even the local bicyclists clubs tend to meet at bars :lol: Although I don't find that quite as freightning I still don't go on those rides.

Its not that I can't not drink, its just that all i tend to think about when I'm in a bar is drinking so it tends to make the whole expereince not very fun. Guess I need to find a bunch of straight edge kids to go ride with (no not really :lol: )
The Negative Image Scooter Club here in Rochester, NY has a ride every Wednesday evening. We usually meet at the Open Face Sandwich Eatery around six, yack for an hour, and then ride to someplace that serves ice cream. We have between 15 and 30 riders every week.

Yes, many people in the group drink. It's just that most of us don't drink and ride. Since the focus of each Wednesday is riding, we don't drink beforehand.

I'm sure you can find a group that matches your drinking and riding preferences. If not, why not start one?
<a href="http://urbanvillagescooters.com">Urban Village Scooters</a>
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
robby

Post by robby »

digital-entropy wrote:Anyone else here homebrew?
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Sombre-clair wrote:
Portland_Rider wrote:
We don't have kegs in utah :(
Now that should be against the law :twisted:
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

laxer wrote:
Wheelz wrote:it's not the drive, it's how do you carry a keg, on a buddy?
A wise man once had this quote in his signature: "Put the fun between your legs!" I think it applies here :D
Man, that's a whole lot of fun... :shock:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

Sombre-clair wrote: We don't have kegs in utah :(

:shock:
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
Ray Knobs wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:If scooter culture is wrapped up in booze then its a culture that I probably don't want first person contact with.

It's human nature, gathering and drinking. I doubt it has anything do with scooters.
Oh I'm sure it doesn't. Even the local bicyclists clubs tend to meet at bars :lol: Although I don't find that quite as freightning I still don't go on those rides.

Its not that I can't not drink, its just that all i tend to think about when I'm in a bar is drinking so it tends to make the whole expereince not very fun. Guess I need to find a bunch of straight edge kids to go ride with (no not really :lol: )
I tried to ride my bike home after drinking a bottle of wine when I was 14. Wound up in a ditch. Glad it was a bicycle.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

DennisD wrote:I tried to ride my bike home after drinking a bottle of wine when I was 14. Wound up in a ditch. Glad it was a bicycle.
I would not try to walk home after a full bottle of wine
Syd

Post by Syd »

That's why you have to ride/drive.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

robby wrote:
Ditto, that. Been brewing for six years now. We don't have a scooter club in town. Well, maybe we do and I'm the only member! We do have a big brew club and I only ride my bicycle to those meetings.
digital-entropy

JettaKnight wrote:
robby wrote:
Ditto, that. Been brewing for six years now. We don't have a scooter club in town. Well, maybe we do and I'm the only member! We do have a big brew club and I only ride my bicycle to those meetings.
Awesome! I should brew up a scooter-themed beer. Trouble is... I don't really know what that would be!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Okay, you home-brewers...further diversion. Anyone make their own wine?
digital-entropy

Cheshire wrote:Okay, you home-brewers...further diversion. Anyone make their own wine?
No but here is a recipe my mother relayed to me that she was fond of her in her college days (I am also assuming she was not 21)

- 1 can grape juice
- 1 gallon water
- 1 packet of champagne yeast
- 1 ballon or other inflatable device

Mix grape juice, water, yeast in glass jug. Put balloon over mouth of jug. When balloon is reasonably full of air, consume wine.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

digital-entropy wrote:Awesome! I should brew up a scooter-themed beer. Trouble is... I don't really know what that would be!
Here are some ideas....

Counter Steer Beer
, a wheat based beer which is effortless to drink. You simply hold the bottle by the bottom, place the top in your mouth, push the bottom up, the top goes down and so does the brew.

WOT Dark, A hoppy dark brewed with chocolate and molasses. For those nights when Counter Steer Beer just isin't enough.

2 Stroke Buzz, I think the name says it all.

Screamin' Prima Ale, I just like the name.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This thread has taken some very strange and probably inappropriate (given the context) turns. I can't say I haven't been complicit in this. It's the ADD.

Apologies to the OP.

I'm going to go crawl under a rock for a while.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

From one of my favorite welsh bands (Here Be Dragons):
"He'd been used to drinking Allbright
Not... fifteen pints of Skull Attack"
:lol:

How about "Rally Water"? :twisted:

EDIT: :oops: Sorry, eric, and OP
Back to context, you could suggest an alt ride and a good coffee shop as a start/end point! I don't see trying to get them to change their ways completely, but maybe having an alt would be well-recieved, similar to having different rides for different experience-level riders. :)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

gr8dog wrote:
digital-entropy wrote:Awesome! I should brew up a scooter-themed beer. Trouble is... I don't really know what that would be!
Here are some ideas....

Counter Steer Beer
, a wheat based beer which is effortless to drink. You simply hold the bottle by the bottom, place the top in your mouth, push the bottom up, the top goes down and so does the brew.

WOT Dark, A hoppy dark brewed with chocolate and molasses. For those nights when Counter Steer Beer just isin't enough.

2 Stroke Buzz, I think the name says it all.

Screamin' Prima Ale, I just like the name.
:rofl:

Now we need recipes!

:clap: for the creativeness!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

gt1000 wrote:
polianarchy wrote:JEEBUS, YOU HAVE BLUE BELL!!! I've got diddly squat here in PA. :x
You're kidding, right? How long have you been in Philly? Get yourself down to the Reading Terminal for a big scoop of Bassetts. They were making "premium" ice cream before there was premium ice cream. ...
Andy, seven long years!

Um, Bassetts is gross. THERE, I SAID IT. :twisted: You know what else is gross? Yuengling Lager. Gigantic pretzels smothered in mustard. Cheesesteaks swimming in Cheez Whiz. GROSS GROSS GROSS

But ya, I agree that Reading Terminal is fantastic! I take all my outta towners there. My favorite bit is the Amish stand run by Mennonites where I can sate my pimento cheese craving.

I'm going to Ocean City, NJ tomorrow. It's a dry town! I hope they have Kohr's, as I've never had that before.
ModBud #442
narcoleptic

Post by narcoleptic »

polianarchy wrote:
gt1000 wrote:
polianarchy wrote:JEEBUS, YOU HAVE BLUE BELL!!! I've got diddly squat here in PA. :x
You're kidding, right? How long have you been in Philly? Get yourself down to the Reading Terminal for a big scoop of Bassetts. They were making "premium" ice cream before there was premium ice cream. ...
Andy, seven long years!

Um, Bassetts is gross. THERE, I SAID IT. :twisted: You know what else is gross? Yuengling Lager. Gigantic pretzels smothered in mustard. Cheesesteaks swimming in Cheez Whiz. GROSS GROSS GROSS

But ya, I agree that Reading Terminal is fantastic! I take all my outta towners there. My favorite bit is the Amish stand run by Mennonites where I can sate my pimento cheese craving.

I'm going to Ocean City, NJ tomorrow. It's a dry town! I hope they have Kohr's, as I've never had that before.
I have worn out my liking for Lager, but still dig the Chesterfield Ale. As for you other dislikes, they are all blasphemy! :wink:

There are several Kohr stands on the OC NJ Boardwalk, enjoy.

Edit: Locations in this link: http://www.kohrbros.com/nj.html
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

polianarchy wrote:
gt1000 wrote:
Andy, seven long years!

Wait, Amish stand run by Mennonites? Thats funny :)
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Andy, seven long years!

Um, Bassetts is gross. THERE, I SAID IT. Twisted Evil You know what else is gross? Yuengling Lager. Gigantic pretzels smothered in mustard. Cheesesteaks swimming in Cheez Whiz. GROSS GROSS GROSS

That's so sad, especially about the Bassetts. Guess it's a taste thing, but it's always been one of my all time favorites. And just so you know, I like my Philly pretzels without mustard and my cheesesteaks with provolone, not cheese whiz. Hopefully you've at least had some great Italian food in South Philly.

I think Korhs is a Seaside Heights thing, but maybe you'll get lucky. They have custard and ice cream, both are very soft and creamy.

As for Yuengling, it's ok but I always preferred Rolling Rock. Then again, I was a lot younger then.:wink:
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

gt1000 wrote:...And just so you know, I like my Philly pretzels without mustard and my cheesesteaks with provolone, not cheese whiz...
A Hypermotard, no mustard where it does not belong, and a Provolone man...I knew you had taste.

And poli, it's sad you really dislike Philly so much. Make a plan and get out -- you wind up in a box in the end and every moment doing or being somewhere you dislike is less time doing or being somewhere you DO like.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

siobhan wrote:...every moment doing or being somewhere you dislike is less time doing or being somewhere you DO like.
:+!: Something to live by. Don't waste a day.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Okay, Poliana, you come to Oklahoma and be me, and I'll go to Philly and be you. I know it's not Texas, but it is a suburb of Dallas. However, we keep our own scooters ;)