Deer Hazards

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rob

Deer Hazards

Post by Rob »

A sad story I came across today:
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/k ... 2e958.html

The deer population has exploded in many areas of the country and truly pose a dangerous hazard to those on two wheels. In my area deer are literally everywhere, even in very urban areas where you wouldn't expect them. They are particularly bad right at the dusk and dawn hours. Just another hazard to be very aware of.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
A_Hunter

Post by A_Hunter »

Very sad story but all to common. There seem to be every where any more. More of a reason to ride smart.
TVB

Re: Deer Hazards

Post by TVB »

Rob wrote:In my area deer are literally everywhere, even in very urban areas where you wouldn't expect them.
Yeah, one morning several weeks ago riding on one of the main commuter roads through a part of the city with large yards and some pockets of trees, I passed a deer running somewhat franticly across a few lawns.
ohiotj

Post by ohiotj »

I live near (and ride by almost every time I get on the scooter) a nature center. I've had tons of deer on the side of the road, including one that was running along the road, then decided to dart in front of me. Thankfully, I'd already slowed down. Gotta watch for 'em, but its one of those hazards where, sometimes, there's nothing you can do about it.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

My sisters back yard butts up to a nature center. Her husband took my two daughters for a walk in the woods and in one hour they counted 26 deer. I think we have more deer than cows. Around here that's sayin' something.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Hmmm, I wonder if they make something that you could put on your bike. IE a noise maker, or some kind of detector. I don't think I'm in any threat in Long Beach, but hey.
redcass

Post by redcass »

ScootStevie wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if they make something that you could put on your bike. IE a noise maker, or some kind of detector. I don't think I'm in any threat in Long Beach, but hey.
Yeah, this reminds me of little whistle-contraptions my dad put on the front bumper of my car when i was a kid.
RedCass
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

ScootStevie wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if they make something that you could put on your bike. IE a noise maker, or some kind of detector. I don't think I'm in any threat in Long Beach, but hey.
Years ago the Wisconsin State Patrol installed deer whistles on their squad cars. The result was no reduction in deer accidents.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

gr8dog wrote:
Years ago the Wisconsin State Patrol installed deer whistles on their squad cars. The result was no reduction in deer accidents.
Maybe they should make an effective one :P Just kidding. Hmmmm
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Here is a news cast regarding deer whistles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l4F9vrmtQQ
Vic

Post by Vic »

Yeah, seems for the whistles to be effective they would have to send someone out into the forests and teach all the deer what the whistles mean. :roll:

-v
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

The best remedy for scooters vs deer is to drive less at night and slow down if you do. I also added more lights on my last motorcycle to help spot the deer in the ditches.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Perhaps someone at ScooterWorks can design a "deer catcher" for the Buddy!
carreybat

Post by carreybat »

ScootStevie wrote:
gr8dog wrote:
Maybe they should make an effective one :P Just kidding. Hmmmm
isn't that what the prima pipe is for? :arrow: :lol:
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

I dont think its the deer population that has exploded its the human population. sorry just putting the reality of it in perspective...... eat more humans............ :D
carreybat

Post by carreybat »

kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:I dont think its the deer population that has exploded its the human population. sorry just putting the reality of it in perspective...... eat more humans............ :D
isn't that what zombies are for?!?
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

A year or so ago I was on my way home from work on the scoot along a country road, next thing 3 red deer jump a hedge and run straight across my path into the next field. I must have been no less than 10 feet from them with the throttle full open, scared the sh*t right out of me. Now every time I come to the same area I instinctly slow down. We get a lot of red deer around these parts and also solitary roe deer.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

I just checked a deer population map for the areas where I regularly ride my scooter. The estimated number of deer in a 4 county area is 51,600 deer. The number of people in this same area is about 500,000. Clearly, it is a people problem.
kneil67@yahoo.com

gr8dog wrote:I just checked a deer population map for the areas where I regularly ride my scooter. The estimated number of deer in a 4 county area is 51,600 deer. The number of people in this same area is about 500,000. Clearly, it is a people problem.
what is the zombie population?
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:
gr8dog wrote:I just checked a deer population map for the areas where I regularly ride my scooter. The estimated number of deer in a 4 county area is 51,600 deer. The number of people in this same area is about 500,000. Clearly, it is a people problem.
Should I include my workmates and that one family member nobody talks about?
kneil67@yahoo.com

gr8dog wrote:
kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:
Should I include my workmates and that one family member nobody talks about?
dont be shy. but zombie deer are slower and less squirrle like only problem is they bite so lesser of two evils