Going to paint my Pamplona..

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scoot'n'Shoot

Going to paint my Pamplona..

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

So anybody on here with experience taking the panels off could you please tell me how hard it is!? I'm going to paint the red on my pamplona a light powderish blue, I think im going to use the Krylon Fusion Twilight Satin, never seen the color in person so hopefully it has a blue tint to it.

If anyone could give me some hints or tricks on removing certain panels if some are tricky that would be great and any tips for the painting part like should i just put news paper down and spray 'em?! Also, do you think for painting the rims that I would need a high temperature paint?

One more question, does painting it void the warranty? thanks for any help!
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

You can probably find more on how to paint your scoot either in the Gallery, or the Tech Library. I've heard other people using Krylon w/good results. Painting your scooter won't void your warranty, unless you open up the engine and try to paint the variators or something.

If you're removing the front cowel, start by removing the front face panel, and removing your front wheel, its a pain in the butt, but its probably the best way to go about it. From there you'll be able to see where plastic clip to plastic, and just keep a list of where the different screws go when you're putting it back. The main thing is to go slow, cause its plastic and it can crack.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

also look at the "let's ride naked" thread - that's a dude who just painted his.

topic12074.html

there's no actual people nudity - just a stripped down buddy being painted.
Scoot'n'Shoot

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

jijifer wrote:also look at the "let's ride naked" thread - that's a dude who just painted his.
Ahh!! Thanks for that looked at it the other day and completely forgot about that one.

Checking out the gallery now too.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Hey Scoon 'n Shoot, keep us posted on your painting project. I have a Pamplona also and have been thinking of painting. I was thinking of painting the creme parts white or black and changing the seat to match. The white would go with the whitewall tires really nice and cut down on the number of colors they used on this particular flavor. If I went with black, I would change to non-whitewall tires next time I need them.

If anyone is good at Photoshop, I would love to see these two schemes before I "go for it". :)

I just don't want to be without my scooter while I do so! Plus, too many other "honey do's" goin' on right now.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Scoot'n'Shoot

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

Tocsik wrote:Hey Scoon 'n Shoot, keep us posted on your painting project. I have a Pamplona also and have been thinking of painting. I was thinking of painting the creme parts white or black and changing the seat to match. The white would go with the whitewall tires really nice and cut down on the number of colors they used on this particular flavor. If I went with black, I would change to non-whitewall tires next time I need them.

If anyone is good at Photoshop, I would love to see these two schemes before I "go for it". :)

I just don't want to be without my scooter while I do so! Plus, too many other "honey do's" goin' on right now.
I'll definitely take pictures and do an in depth post. I'm pretty much a newb but think I can pull it off. I'm having a hard time deciding on colors as well, since the pamplona has the light khaki colored seat and grips, I'm not sure what colors would look good with them and I wanna keep the seat and all so I can keep the cost down.

Does anybody have any color schemes they think might look good on a scooter with white walls and khaki colored seat/grips? I use a mac and don't know if there's anything similar to the windows "paint" program, I might try openoffice so I can try different colors, so far I'm thinking maybe a satin light light greyish blue to cover all the red and leaving the tan trim as is what do you think? I'm looking at pictures of classic two tone cars for inspiration cuz I want to keep the "retro" scheme. Here are a couple pictures for reference if anybody thinks any of these color schemes might work with the light tan seat let me know! I would love as much input as possible, thanks!
Attachments
I know this is still red, but I'm thinking I might like a bright metallic cherry apple red like this and paint the pamplonas trim white too?!
I know this is still red, but I'm thinking I might like a bright metallic cherry apple red like this and paint the pamplonas trim white too?!
1914161-1-classic-cars-and-trucks.jpg (34.23 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
I love this color scheme, think the light tan seats would look odd?
car1.jpg (136.85 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
I like this light blue in place of the red
I like this light blue in place of the red
EXTERIOR.jpg (71.71 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
Syd

Post by Syd »

Black & Tan is a classic color combination:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Powder blue and white looks snazzy... o'course they make a powder blue buddy already
but I don't think they got the shade just right, It all boils down to what you like the best.
Scoot'n'Shoot

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

Syd wrote:
Black & Tan is a classic color combination
That drink looks refreshing..

So if I just painted the red panels black do you think it might look nice with a light tan seat? other option im thinking on is painting the red a dark brown, I have a tan prima bag that needs put on after i paint it. I wish I could photoshop and see the colors!
Scoot'n'Shoot

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

Here's the color options I have http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

This is the brown im thinkin bout
Attachments
this is the satin espresso from krylon
this is the satin espresso from krylon
94-31-0.gif (55 Bytes) Viewed 1281 times
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I used Rustoleum Universal with great results. I think it comes out of the can better than traditional spray paint because of the trigger mechanism on the can. Use lots of light coats.

viewtopic.php?t=10405&highlight=sunsetjack
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
Scoot'n'Shoot

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

toddrw2251 wrote:I used Rustoleum Universal with great results. I think it comes out of the can better than traditional spray paint because of the trigger mechanism on the can. Use lots of light coats.

viewtopic.php?t=10405&highlight=sunsetjack
I love your scooter btw, I think I will be checking out rustoleum instead, how did you paint your mirrors btw?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

If you want light powderish blue, why not just buy some St. Tropez panels or some light blue 125 panels and swap them for your red ones? Save you the trouble of painting...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

Thanks Scoot'n'Shoot! For the mirrors, I just lightly sanded the chrome and taped off the glass and threads before painting. Be sure and tape off the threads or you'll have a hard time screwing them back into the handlebars.
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:If you want light powderish blue, why not just buy some St. Tropez panels or some light blue 125 panels and swap them for your red ones? Save you the trouble of painting...
#1 Plus the 125's blue panels would be nicer paint vs self spraying.
Aerosmith, None Other.
Scoot'n'Shoot

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:If you want light powderish blue, why not just buy some St. Tropez panels or some light blue 125 panels and swap them for your red ones? Save you the trouble of painting...
I think I've decided to go with a glossy espresso color since I have the prima roll bag in tan so hopefully it will look nice!! Now that I had to pay for the 300 mile tune up (for some reason i thought it was free??) and buy a rack ill be holding off on painting, saving my money for vacation next week!!