Blur oil lines

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tempalte

Blur oil lines

Post by tempalte »

Scooterworld fixed the oil lines on my blur. They said that the buddy 150 and blur, both have a similar setup. The oil lines on the blur are routed differently than on the buddy though.

Apparently the blur's oil line runs next to the center spring arm. The lines on my bike had shifted some so that the swing arm rubbed against the line. Eventually rubbing a hole in the line. They replaced the line and zip tied them so it would not happen again. (anyone know if the blur has a low oil pressure kill switch? The engine had died when lines blew)

They repaired this under warranty and it took about 3 weeks to get the parts.

So as I go to leave, the starter doesn't work. I guessed the battery was dead, from sitting in the shop for three weeks, so I kick start it. I drive about 5 blocks and the blinkers, clock, etc, all quit working. Then smoke starts coming out from the speedometer, filling up the dash panel. I smell this electrical burning smell.

I kill the engine and pull over. I opened the seat and the battery is missing. They had pulled it out, put it on the charger and forgot to replace it.

My guess is the battery cables bounced around and started to touch, causing a short. I am hoping my electrical system is not fried now.

The shop went to pick up the bike and I have not heard back from them yet.

chad
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Blur oil lines

Post by jrsjr »

tempalte wrote:I opened the seat and the battery is missing. They had pulled it out, put it on the charger and forgot to replace it.
Oh no. This could be anything from no big deal all the way up to totalled. Let's hope I'm completely wrong (as usual) and this is no big deal. Your dealer was obviously trying to do you a favor by charging your battery, but...

So sorry.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Smoke from the speedometer? Damn, how fast were you goin?!?! :D

I hope they're abloe to get it fixed up OK.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

holy crap that is insane. forgot to put the battery back??????
gah
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

sounds like a story of shop error and it is there are to blame for any problems . so the way i see it they owe you a new scooter.
tempalte

Post by tempalte »

Went to the scooter shop this weekend. They said the scooter runs fine, but no lights.

They said it looks like only a relay got fried, so no major damage and they are going to fix it no charge. The downside is they said it would take about a week for a new relay to get in.

Between the oil line rupturing and this, my blur has been out of commission for the better part of the summer.

Waiting on parts has been most of the hold up. Are buddy parts as hard to come by?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

tempalte wrote:They said it looks like only a relay got fried, so no major damage and they are going to fix it no charge.
Whew, glad to hear it. Hope they get you back on the road asap.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I know it's warranty work and all, but for Pete's sake, can't they jury-rig a plain old 12V automotive relay. Geez, a relay's a relay, and as long as it's rated for the max load or more, then one's just about the same as the next. I can't begin to tell you how many lash-ups I've got holding my cage together, both electrical and mechanical.

It'd be a different story if they had it in stock, but having to wait a week for a basically off-the-shelf item stinks.

PS: Don't feel so bad about the down-time. With all the damned rain and thunderstorms, I'm down to about two good riding days a week. I think that Mother Nature needs a trip to the woodshed.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

That's excellent news, glad to hear it!

As far as which model is harder to get parts for, they run about the same, but for different reasons.

Just to scratch a personal curiosity (I've been tinkering with the working of the lighting system of late) could you snap a pic of the relay in question or tell me where it's located? I've been thinking about wiring up HID lighting but using the stock controls and finding out the relays specs might help that project along.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

So this weekend I was digging around in the Blur and discovered that the oil lines were not routed correctly, at least according to the retainer tabs. One was jammed up between the frame and the shock mount. I'm not really sure how it could have ended up like this under normal use (it was a very tight fit in there).

I didn't think to take any pics, mainly because I didn't want to get road/oil grime on my camera and it didn't start off as this particular project. The way mine was routed, I had to take a 14mm open ended wrench and a 14mm socket and back the bottom shock bolt out so that the oil line could clear and be routed to the retaining tab. After I slided it over the other oil line (which was in the correct place) I used a few zip ties to hold them in place at the retainer.

If you go to inspect it, you can tell if it's routed correctly because the oil lines have a retainer sleeve (just like the one on the spark plug cable) that are offset along the length of the Blur.

The way I found it, the unprotected oil line was touching the exposed bolt threads on the bottom shock mount.

This might be something to make a quick inspection of. Just an FYI for other Blur owners.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.