Found this Stella on craigslist, is it stolen/worth it?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Would you buy this scooter?

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes: 6

Scoot'n'Shoot

Found this Stella on craigslist, is it stolen/worth it?

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

Here's the link to the 2008 Stella I found for $1,250: http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/1257476295.html

I was wondering how or why it could have a salvage title but run great? Could it have been totaled then rebuilt with cheap chinese parts? In the left picture it looks like it has a pretty bad dent, any idea how much it would cost to fix or replace a dent in the side like that?

He also said that since it has a salvage title that the DMV would have to send somebody to inspect the bike and make sure it works to give it a 'salvage rebuilt' title or something like that, does that sound tight? If everything is legit would it even be worth buying it? Could it also be parted out and sold for more than $1,250? He says he had to repost it and had a check deposit on it but that fell thru.. Thanks again for your help!
Frankie 2 Tone

Post by Frankie 2 Tone »

If it seems too good to be true, then it usually is! Plus, a stock Stella 150 WILL NOT DO 70 MPH, even down hill, and using the Jedi Force!!!!!! Go see Chelsea and buy one from her. Save yourself the head and heart aches!!!
Kickin' it hard to the Rock Steady Beat!!!!!!!!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I'd go ask for a test ride, if it runs as great as they say it does and the steering's not off, I'd offer him $800. 8)
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

ok a salveg title means that the insurance company has written this off as a complete loss (cost to repair exceded 70% of the value of the scoot) some times theft recoveries are sold under salvage titles too

with a salveg title the vale is normaly 1/2 of blue book value

some times just simple body work can make it expensive to fix and this could be the case

but now that it has a salvege title more then likely to be able to ride it you will have to get an inspection from your states dot to make sure its safe to be riden on the street (they should check for frame damage working lights and that the lens covers are intact the brakes are working along with the speedo and that tires are servicable) in some areas this inspection can cost several hunderd dollars

in the end unless they basicly give you this scooter by the time you fix it and have it inspected you will have a lot more money in it then the scooter is worth and will ever be worth as the salvge tiltle brand stays with it for life

im handy at fixing things so after a very thurogh inspection i might consider offering 500 to 800 but not paying anymore then 800 as a mint condtion retail value used is 2500 and trade in being 1800 per kbb 800 might even be a bit high

so if you can buy it fix every thing and have it inspected for less then 1500 you might be about even in value and from what i can tell from the pics you will need mirros to pass inspection and it looks like the front fender and both cowels will need work so i dount finacialy it would be a wise choice
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Given the recent spate of stolen scooters in Richmond, I'd say HELL NO to a new Stella priced as such.
ModBud #442
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

Check your state's laws regarding salvage titles and reconstructed vehicles. My Stella was a salvage I got on eBay and I just finished the whole process, it was not very difficult here in Pennsy, but it might be more difficult there. My scoot was listed as salvage and only needed about $200 of tender loving care to make her road worthy again. You might get lucky there, but of course, buyer beware.