Should I Get a 2005 Stella or wait for 2010?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

LeannaRachel

Should I Get a 2005 Stella or wait for 2010?

Post by LeannaRachel »

Okay, so I'm new to this forum, please forgive any mistakes the first time around...

I've recently become obsessed with the Stella. I've had two other scooters before (one was so light it got stolen right in front of my apartment a couple months after I got it), and I'm at the point where I want at least a 150cc and something vintage styled for sure.

The problem: I live in California. So, I found a 2005 Orange Stella with only 76 miles on it that's already registered in California (previous owner moved here from another state and already got everything switched over)... My question is: Do you think it's worth it to shell out the money for this one, or should I just wait til they roll out the 4-strokes in CA? I e-mailed Genuine, and they got back to me saying the testing process could take a while, so no definite dates are set.

Also, if I buy this already registered scooter, will it be a pain to re-register it?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Leanna
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Okay, I'm biased toward 2-stroke, so I'd say buy that orange baby ... IF the price is right! The 4-stroke Stella will be quieter and possibly more dependable. The 2-stroke, however, has a distinct sound, more of a vintage riding ambience and, to me at least, a more rewarding connection with the whole riding experience. Plus, you can have the 2-stroke NOW, rather than waiting until whenever. There's a lot to be said for instant gratification!
murmur

Post by murmur »

I second the 2005 for the right price. It's a two stroke. The only thing I would be worried about is the low milage on it. Thats 19 miles a year. I would hope that the same gas has not been sitting in it for this whole time.
LeannaRachel

Post by LeannaRachel »

Thanks for the responses... after seeing it about an hour ago, I just HAVE to have it. I have to wait until my boyfriend can test drive it though, cause I don't know how to drive a manual--yet! I will learn! Now I just hope I can get it before someone else nabs it!!

So apparently an elderly couple won two of these scooters as a prize for something, and they didn't really ride them at all, so that explains the low mileage. They are in excellent condition, and I don't think it's a problem with the gas sitting in there too long...
murmur

Post by murmur »

Oh yeah. The motor is still not going to be broken in yet. I think it needs 1200 miles. I would go for it.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

go for the 2 stroke as the 4 stroke just wont be the same
besides when the 4 stroke comes out they will be going for a premium in ca there is no doubt in my mind that dealers out there will do any thing and every thing to get much more then the msrp
take the zuma 125 that had an early release last fall with an msrp fo 2999 dealers were getting 4500+ for them at first
bluefox

Post by bluefox »

Go for it. My 05' has thousands of miles and she runs great!
ImageImage
LeannaRachel

Post by LeannaRachel »

Eeeee! I'm so excited! Just got word from the seller that the scoots all mine if I want it!

Just to run this by everyone, is $3000 a fair price to pay for a '05 Stella with 76 miles on it that's already registered in CA? I just wanna make sure!!
murmur

Post by murmur »

The scooter is worth what you are willing to pay. I would be willing to pay less than that. There is a kitted '05 here in Denver for 2k. It would cost you less than 1k to have it shipped and regestered. Keep in mind that it has not been ridden much and there may be some gunk in the carb/tank.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

murmur wrote:The scooter is worth what you are willing to pay. I would be willing to pay less than that. There is a kitted '05 here in Denver for 2k. It would cost you less than 1k to have it shipped and regestered. Keep in mind that it has not been ridden much and there may be some gunk in the carb/tank.
Keep in mind....they aren't allowed in Cali (at least that new)....so I'd say it's a fair price. You still might want to offer them a couple hundred less and take your chances. Just my opinion anyways.
murmur

Post by murmur »

I haven't lived there in a few years, but I thought that as long as the Stella had more than 7,500 miles or something they could be regestered. I could be wrong.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

murmur wrote:I haven't lived there in a few years, but I thought that as long as the Stella had more than 7,500 miles or something they could be regestered. I could be wrong.
That's correct, but this stella has 76 miles. So for a Cali person to get a new stella is pretty rare. I'd take the deal :D
LeannaRachel

Post by LeannaRachel »

I actually already negotiated it down from $3,200. It's the most I've ever spent on ONE thing. But I can't stop thinking about that beautiful Stella! And with everything you guys mentioned, especially the stuff about the difficulty of registering it in California... and the fact that it is practically brand new, I feel like this is my chance!
murmur

Post by murmur »

You sound like you really want it. Just go for it, you won't reget it.
LeannaRachel

Post by LeannaRachel »

Woo hoo!! Got it :)
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

welcome to the stella club now its time to get out ride her and brake her on good i take my week old stella in for brake in service tommorow
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

You made a great choice and, I may add, in a great color. Welcome, and many happy miles!
Steady Teddy

Post by Steady Teddy »

Congrats on your purchase!

I am very curious, what does the mileage say on the Pink Slip? That is, the Certificate of Title? It will show it up in the right hand corner of the Document under MILEAGE. Where did these people move in from?

Have fun!

Ted
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

wait for the 4 stroke
scoot121

Post by scoot121 »

I am waiting for a 2010. I'm saving up as we speak. Normally, I would be all up for buying used, saves a lot of dough...but in this case, i'll spend the extra cash for the new 4 stroke.
They really should of made it 200cc..although, is it finalized that it will be 150?
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

well its still in ca for smog testing so who knows if it will even be out for 2010
as they have to get the tsting finished finalize the production details and get enought built and get them shipped