What should I realistically expect from a variator mod?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tocsik

What should I realistically expect from a variator mod?

Post by Tocsik »

I have an '08 150 with about 6K miles and currently have the Prima pipe and Dr. Pulley 11g sliding weights.

If I add the Dr. Pulley variator, is there truly any top end improvement? I have heard much about how the acceleration and deceleration are smoother, but is there anything else to be gained?

Should I also change the springs?

Kaos had this to say about the springs:
Tocsik wrote:
Any recommendations on clutch springs and main springs? I have a pipe and 11g DrP sliders in the stock variator. I am upgrading to the DrP variator but would like info on the 1500 and 2000 rpm springs before buying the variator. I want to get it all at once if the springs are a good upgrade. I use the scooter as a daily commuter but like performance, too .

Kaos reply: Go with a 1000RPM Contra spring and 1500RPM clutch springs, the 2000RPM clutch springs are too big and don't allow the clutch to engage properly, so your top end disappears.
Thanks for any help. My shop will be doing the work.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Yes, there will be some top end improvement, as the Dr Pulley variator has longer slider ramps. There is also improvement in off the line acceleration, as well as the smoother acceleration ramp that most people talk about.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Kaos wrote:Yes, there will be some top end improvement, as the Dr Pulley variator has longer slider ramps. There is also improvement in off the line acceleration, as well as the smoother acceleration ramp that most people talk about.
Sounds like a great mod! What about those springs? Still recommend 1500's? Will that drastically change how the variator/clutch engages?

Hey, BTW, the front page of the Voodoo site is really eye-popping!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Tocsik wrote:
Kaos wrote:Yes, there will be some top end improvement, as the Dr Pulley variator has longer slider ramps. There is also improvement in off the line acceleration, as well as the smoother acceleration ramp that most people talk about.
Sounds like a great mod! What about those springs? Still recommend 1500's? Will that drastically change how the variator/clutch engages?

Yep, the Dr Pulley variator and 1500rpm clutch springs is what I use.
It gets off the line a LOT quicker with those clutch springs, but after takeoff there's no
Difference.

Thanks! Our own Krustyburger was awesome enough to do up the graphics(and the voodoo avatars) for us!
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Tocsik wrote:

That's original artwork by MB forum member KRUSTYburger. Or were you talking about my list of mods :twisted: ?
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

djelliott wrote:
Tocsik wrote:

That's original artwork by MB forum member KRUSTYburger. Or were you talking about my list of mods :twisted: ?
On that note, my 161 kit is on the way along with an NCY head... :twisted:
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Kaos wrote:
djelliott wrote:
Tocsik wrote: Sounds like a great mod! What about those springs? Still recommend 1500's? Will that drastically change how the variator/clutch engages?

SHAZAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM!
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Hey kaos, I looked at the picture of that head and it looks like you won't have the same issue I had with the port for the EGR on the stock 150 head. Good news.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

djelliott wrote:Hey kaos, I looked at the picture of that head and it looks like you won't have the same issue I had with the port for the EGR on the stock 150 head. Good news.
Ahh, good. That's what Genuine's parts dept said, but a second opionion
Is always good :)
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Yeah, I knew Krustyburger did your avatars; Krusty's da bomb! On your voodoo site, the colors and gradients behind your avatars is beautiful!
I also totally dig the lettering. :twisted: Reminds me of Firefly/Serenity - a modern but Western theme 8) .

As much as I know you guys love doing the mods, I just wanted to say thanks for myself and, I'm sure, on behalf of so many other MB'ers.

When you do the voodoo you do, the rest of the community benefits from your tinkering and sharing of knowledge. Most of us know not to go as far down the road as you guys (because most of us are not the experienced tuners as yourself), but we can take some of what you have learned and apply it enough to tweak it out a bit!

Now, will those 1500 rpm springs engage enough on my 150 so the engine isn't working too hard (since I probably don't have the power output like you)? I am a daily rider (~50 miles) and also try to ride year-round
Last edited by Tocsik on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Tocsik wrote:Yeah, I knew Krustyburger did your avatars; Krusty's da bomb! On your voodoo site, the colors and gradients behind your avatars is beautiful!
I also totally dig the lettering. :twisted: Reminds me of Firefly/Serenity - a modern but Western theme 8) .

As much as I know you guys love doing the mods, I just wanted to say thanks for myself and, I'm sure, on behalf of so many other MB'ers.

When you do the voodoo you do, the rest of the community benefits from your tinkering and sharing of knowledge. Most of us know not to go as far down the road as you guys (because most of us are not the experienced tuners as yourself), but we can take some of what you have learned and apply it enough to tweak it out a bit!

Now, will those 1500 rpm springs engage enough on my 150 so the engine isn't working too hard? I am a daily rider (~50 miles) and also try to ride year-round
All the springs to is control at what RPM the clutch fully engages at, so its a lot like a high stall torque converter on a car, or letting the clutch out later on a manual.

Its got no effect once the clutch is engaged. I ride 50 miles round trip to work each day on my Buddy and its caused me no issues.

We love to share our mods both as a "look what we did" and to help others do the same sorts of mods on their bikes. We don't expect others to be as crazy as us ;)
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Kaos wrote:
holy smokes, Kaos! What will this kit do for your scoot? Make it take flight?! Can your top end get any higher? Don't you have wicked power already? I think you'll have the first flying scooter! :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jijifer wrote:
Kaos wrote:
holy smokes, Kaos! What will this kit do for your scoot? Make it take flight?! Can your top end get any higher? Don't you have wicked power already? I think you'll have the first flying scooter! :)
I don't think my top end will get any higher without swapping final
drive gears. But I'll get there a lot quicker, and be able to hold it easier.
And I'll likely wheelie more :P
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Kaos wrote:I don't think my top end will get any higher without swapping final
:needpics:

Seriously though, you got any video on the net with your scoot? Wheelying or otherwise?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Tocsik wrote:
Kaos wrote:I don't think my top end will get any higher without swapping final
:needpics:

Seriously though, you got any video on the net with your scoot? Wheelying or otherwise?
The only video I've got so far is a <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9puOADR57Y">jittery video of me topping the speedo.</a>(it'll actually burry it even more now...) and a <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1q4NP6D4T0">video of me testing out a home made chest mounted camera harness</a> that features a bit of a run on the highway near the end.

The problem with getting video of my Buddy is I can't ride and film at the same time ;)
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

You need a buddy to shoot video of you on your Buddy!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Tocsik wrote:You need a buddy to shoot video of you on your Buddy!
Heh yeah, but a lot of the things I want to shoot are high speed things that my friend's bikes can't keep up with. I'd like to get video of me actually hitting my top speed :twisted:
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Kaos wrote: Yep, the Dr Pulley variator and 1500rpm clutch springs is what I use.
It gets off the line a LOT quicker with those clutch springs, but after takeoff there's no
Difference.

Thanks! Our own Krustyburger was awesome enough to do up the graphics(and the voodoo avatars) for us!
Kaos, you said something about using a 1000 RPM main spring in addition to the 1500 RPM clutch springs. I was on buggypartsnw.com getting ready to order parts when I noticed they only carry the 1500 and 2000 RPM main spring. Is the stock main spring ~1000RPM? I have about 6500 miles and am about to add the variator and new clutch springs. Where do you get the 1000 RPM main spring?
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

Kaos wrote:On that note, my 161 kit is on the way along with an NCY head... :twisted:
Where did you order the NCY head from?

Also, I'm more interested in low-end power for climbing hills or riding 2-up. Would a 1500 RPM main clutch spring be better for me?
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Tocsik wrote:
Kaos wrote: Yep, the Dr Pulley variator and 1500rpm clutch springs is what I use.
Difference.

Kaos, you said something about using a 1000 RPM main spring in addition to the 1500 RPM clutch springs. I was on buggypartsnw.com getting ready to order parts when I noticed they only carry the 1500 and 2000 RPM main spring. Is the stock main spring ~1000RPM? I have about 6500 miles and am about to add the variator and new clutch springs. Where do you get the 1000 RPM main spring?
I'm actually not entirely sure what the stock spring is, but when I swapped in the 1000RPM contra in my bike, it made a difference. 1000RPM is SUPPOSED to mean that it engages 1000RPM higher than the stock spring does.

I got mine off eBay, and I think it was another buy from Autotech355(Which is an awesome seller!)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

MarsR wrote:
Kaos wrote:On that note, my 161 kit is on the way along with an NCY head... :twisted:
Where did you order the NCY head from?

Also, I'm more interested in low-end power for climbing hills or riding 2-up. Would a 1500 RPM main clutch spring be better for me?
I got mine from Scooterworks. Its listed in the Dealer catalog, but I'm not sure its on the website. I get a good discount from my dealer, so I usually get parts from Scooterworks through them if they carry it. That being said, my 161 kit will be here monday, but the head is backordered. :(
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Kaos wrote:
Tocsik wrote:
Difference.

I'm actually not entirely sure what the stock spring is, but when I swapped in the 1000RPM contra in my bike, it made a difference. 1000RPM is SUPPOSED to mean that it engages 1000RPM higher than the stock spring does.

I got mine off eBay, and I think it was another buy from Autotech355(Which is an awesome seller!)
Okay, I'm tryin' to let this thread die and order my stuff already, but I gotta axe another question....

Kaos (or anyone), can you describe how the 1000 rpm main sprinig and 1500 rpm clutch springs change the way the drive train engages?
Does it mean I will have to hit higher revs to get moving off the line?
Will it sound like I'm trying to race every time I go from zero to X?
Once moving, how does it behave through the range?

Thanks for answers and thanks for patience!
T
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Tocsik wrote:
Kaos wrote:
Tocsik wrote: Kaos, you said something about using a 1000 RPM main spring in addition to the 1500 RPM clutch springs. I was on buggypartsnw.com getting ready to order parts when I noticed they only carry the 1500 and 2000 RPM main spring. Is the stock main spring ~1000RPM? I have about 6500 miles and am about to add the variator and new clutch springs. Where do you get the 1000 RPM main spring?

Okay, I'm tryin' to let this thread die and order my stuff already, but I gotta axe another question....

Kaos (or anyone), can you describe how the 1000 rpm main sprinig and 1500 rpm clutch springs change the way the drive train engages?
Does it mean I will have to hit higher revs to get moving off the line?
Will it sound like I'm trying to race every time I go from zero to X?
Once moving, how does it behave through the range?

Thanks for answers and thanks for patience!
T
The 1500RPM clutch springs mean the clutch will not be fully engaged till 1500RPM higher, esentially slipping the clutch more at take-off. The 1000RPM Contra keeps the rear pully from changing sizes till 1000RPM later as well, meaning that you get to higher RPMs quicker. It doesn't really act like you're racing every time, or that it takes higher RPM for the clutch to start engaging, but combined between the two if you gun it you take off a TON faster. After the clutch is fully engaged, it has no affect on your bike at all.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

This discussion on springs might be helpful in the technical library, very informative.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Okay - thanks Kaos for the time you have spent answering my questions!

Now, I will be at 7k miles when I do the variator. Do you (or anyone) recommend that I go ahead and change the belt at the same time or does the stock belt last for a good long time?

If the recommendation is to change it, should I go kevlar and if so, anyone have a manufacturer to recommend (and a part number)?

Muchas gracias, amigos!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Tocsik wrote:Okay - thanks Kaos for the time you have spent answering my questions!

Now, I will be at 7k miles when I do the variator. Do you (or anyone) recommend that I go ahead and change the belt at the same time or does the stock belt last for a good long time?

If the recommendation is to change it, should I go kevlar and if so, anyone have a manufacturer to recommend (and a part number)?

Muchas gracias, amigos!
I think I changed my belt at around 11k. Kevlar is better, but not required. It does last longer and grips a bit better.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

With the new angle and ramp of the Dr pulley or NCY kits, it's best you change the belt to a kevlar belt for maximum performance. The old belt would technically work, but it's worn down to the angle of the old buddy stock variator ramps. You want a new belt to wear down to the Dr pulley/NCY ramps for best performance.

Buy these 3 items and you will think your buddy is a whole new bike.

Dr pulley variator kit $90 (scooterworks doesnt sell)

http://buggypartsnw.com/home?page=shop. ... gory_id=16

Dr Pulley 11G slider weights $24 (1 dollar cheaper, no shipping fee)

Kevlar Belt $40 ($5 cheaper, no shipping fee)

These prices are much cheaper than scooterworks, or the same, the advantage is free shipping. Lots of MB members have ordered from that site and had a good experience with them.

$155 total, plus installation if you have a dealer do it. Considering anywhere else you'll pay 130-200 dollars for the variator alone, 155 dollars is a STEAL.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

jfrost2 wrote:With the new angle and ramp of the Dr pulley or NCY kits, it's best you change the belt to a kevlar belt for maximum performance. The old belt would technically work, but it's worn down to the angle of the old buddy stock variator ramps. You want a new belt to wear down to the Dr pulley/NCY ramps for best performance.

Buy these 3 items and you will think your buddy is a whole new bike.

Dr pulley variator kit $90 (scooterworks doesnt sell)

Dr Pulley 11G slider weights $24 (1 dollar cheaper, no shipping fee)

Kevlar Belt $40 ($5 cheaper, no shipping fee)

These prices are much cheaper than scooterworks, or the same, the advantage is free shipping. Lots of MB members have ordered from that site and had a good experience with them.
Thanks for the response. I installed Dr. Pulley 11g sliders in my stock variator at 3800 miles so these should still be in good shape. I'm lookin' forward to the new boost!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I would use new sliders if you buy the variator also, the current sliders are wearing to the interior ramps of the variator, the new angles are more suited for the sliders and will give better performance if you use new sliders in the new variator.

I like how chinese bike dealers sell bikes so cheap, but performance parts for unreasonable prices. Out of every chinese dealer i have seen or been to, dr pulley sliders cost 50 dollars a set, and 50 dollars more for the U shaped brackets...they're technically supposed to be sold together as 1 product.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I got this from another post:
Belts: the 125 and the 150 use two different sized belts. A belt that fits a 125 will not fit the 150, just an FYI.
I'm still searching (here, Scooterworks.com and others) to find which belt fits the 150 cc bikes.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Both the buddy 125 and 150 can use the same exact belt size. In fact the transmission on both bikes are identical. The belt I listed is the best and cheapest you will find.

But for your personal knowledge, 743/20/30 is the size that fits the 125/150.

I do recall someone saying the 125 and 150 use different belt sizes, but this cannot be possible or fully true, because I know for fact 743/20/30 fits and works flawless in both bikes from experience. Atleast with the Dr pulley kit.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jfrost2 wrote:Both the buddy 125 and 150 can use the same exact belt size. In fact the transmission on both bikes are identical. The belt I listed is the best and cheapest you will find.

But for your personal knowledge, 743/20/30 is the size that fits the 125/150.

I do recall someone saying the 125 and 150 use different belt sizes, but this cannot be possible or fully true, because I know for fact 743/20/30 fits and works flawless in both bikes from experience. Atleast with the Dr pulley kit.
they both use the same belt and transmission, the replacement belt for them is the same.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I wanted to have a little "possibility" comment because you never know if anyone could come in at any moment and say "WRONG WRONG WRONG" to me.

But I know for myself from experience and reading, the transmission is 100% the same. In fact, the majority of gy6 125/150cc bikes can be modded exactly with the same 3 parts I listed.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Tocsik wrote:I got this from another post:
Belts: the 125 and the 150 use two different sized belts. A belt that fits a 125 will not fit the 150, just an FYI.
I'm still searching (here, Scooterworks.com and others) to find which belt fits the 150 cc bikes.
That very well could have been me. At one point, I could have sworn that I heard from a reputable source that the 125 and 150 used different sized belts. I've never gotten a confirmation on it and I can't even find what I had listed.

On the other hand, I've heard many times that the two engines use the same size belt (which makes a lot more sense). I've still never confirmed and I don't have a Buddy to check, lol.

Now as far as the variators, it's not going to be night and day because of the variator, the huge difference is going to come from the change in weights, especially if you go with sliders. The main trick to the Dr Pulley Variator is that it's Boss washer is shorter, which lets the pulley halves get closer together, which forces a larger gear ratio. The stock variator is actualy pretty nice.

Now if you had a ??? bike there's been reports of those coming with mismatched variators and under-sized variators. A Dr Pulley in those is indeed night and day.

Just something to chew on.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.