Cover VS No Cover: which is better

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Cover or No Cover?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:30 am

Yes! Covers ROCK! You're a fool to be without one. Fool, I say!
80%
Um, no. Covers are stupid and pointless. Down with covers! Covers can go to h*ll.
20%

Total votes: 15

ScooterSkater

Cover VS No Cover: which is better

Post by ScooterSkater »

I got me TWO camps of scooter friends.

CAMP 1:
"Covers are dumb! They just make your scoot harder to see! I never use one because I just KNOW that cars are gonna smash into my scooter if I use one! Besides, covers get stolen all the time!"

CAMP 2:
"I always use a cover! It keeps my scoot clean and dry, protects it from scratches and bumps, and makes it less likely to be stolen. Covers are where it's AT!"

So, which camp are YOU in? Cover or no cover? I'm trying to decide whether to purchase one.

:D
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

if you use your scooter daily,
i wouldn't get a cover baby,
but if your scoot sits for a long period of time,
think about spending more than a dime,
its hot here in texas almost everyday,
the sun might burn off the clearcoat away,
but if you make sure you clean it often,
your scoot will look alive instead of from a coffin,
in the end the choice is up to you,
i think i already know what you'll do.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

-gearhead poet
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

My cover, in addition to keeping the schmootz off my nice shiny scooter, is part of my security practice. I use the Xena disc lock and then cover the scooter. The cover keeps things nice and low profile so the casually curious person doesn't pay attention or mess with my scooter because they don't know what is under there (no more, oooh look! A nice shiny scooter!). For those who remain overly curious or have ill intention, as soon as they mess with the cover (which is locked) it sets off the Xena alarm and scares them away before they even get the cover off.

Perhaps not totally foolproof, but so far so good.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I almost always cover my scooter at home but I generaly do not take it with me. Its too much hassel and the heat resistant fabric on the exhaust side got a nice hole burnt through it the last time I tried to cover it before it cooled off :( I like covering it at home cause we have alot of little kids in our nieghborhood who can't resist touching the scooter if its not covered.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

i like my cover. it has been well used and is held together very effectively with duct tape, which some have commented makes whatever is under it less appealing. also being ratty the cover is less likely to get stolen.
it is gray in color. a red shiny scooter sticks out. a gray blob goes mostly unnoticed imo. i am sure ne'er do wells notice it, but to others it just blends in with the background as they drive by.
it's a portable bat cave of sorts. the sort that is nothing like a bat cave.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I Had a cover, gave it to my neighbor. I didn't use it, I have a garage, he doesn't thus the cover.
We live in the 'boonies' he has 5 dogs, few worries.....
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

I use a cover because when I park at work it will get welding dust and paint overspray if I don't (yes I do park in the parking Lot). Plus keeps the sun from making my seat and levers from being to hot to the touch when get real hot.
ScooterSkater

Yay for peer pressure

Post by ScooterSkater »

As a result of this poll, I bought a cover. Yay for being swayed by public opinion!

Happy scooting,

Nicola
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

For my normal around-town and mini-touring riding, I don't bother with a cover. This did remind me I wanted to get one for the upcoming college semester, though. Deterrent to idiots wanting to touch and preferred alternate to wiping down the scooter before heading home after a storm.

(That, and an attempt at avoiding paying for a parking sticker. The new registration policies this year are bordering "checkpoint charlie" status. Why do they need my driver's license #, insurance info and VIN on file in addition to plate #??)
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I have two covers. They are both on a shelf in my garage. They're a pain in the butt. I usually park under cover at work. If not available, oh well. At home, I always pull into the garage so my scoots are covered most of the time. If they had to stay outside, I would just get rid of all the chrome and flat black it with rattle can barbecue black. Constant cleaning, polishing, maintaining show room conditon is highly over rated. I'm more concerned with mechanical condition than looks. Just my humble opinion.
DIPA

Post by DIPA »

For those who live in a city, do you take the cover with you and cover the scoot when you park for more than just a quick stop, like at work? I'm moving to a city & will be missing my garage :( I'm planning on getting a cover for when it's parked at night & chained up, but I see scooters parked all over without covers.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

DIPA wrote:For those who live in a city, do you take the cover with you and cover the scoot when you park for more than just a quick stop, like at work? I'm moving to a city & will be missing my garage :( I'm planning on getting a cover for when it's parked at night & chained up, but I see scooters parked all over without covers.
I only ever use my cover for overnight and longer term parking. Short trips would be a bit too labor intensive for me, taking the cover on and off every time. I think I'd have a few different habits if it rained a lot here though.

peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I only use one in the dead of winter b/c it gets dirty sitting in the garage. Plus it makes me sad to see it everytime I go to the stupid car. The cover helps take it out of my mind a little
Animaetrix00

Post by Animaetrix00 »

Enjoy your new cover!

Mine was the first thing I got because I have to park it in an alley and I'm far too lazy to lock it up. Since I ride every day I still don't always cover it, but usually I do.

And yeah, little kids love inspecting scooters! ^_^
spinbud

cover

Post by spinbud »

I always cover at work, and it's in a parking deck. I'm sure it looks over-the-top, but it keeps dust off. Mainly I cover for security purposes. It keeps people from sitting on it, ( I assume that folks are enamoured with the scoot as much as I), and want to sit on it to check their fit. It also keeps the pidgeon poo off of it. I don't cover much, just the top 1/3rd so it'll cool. If you ride a scoot you're beyond appearances and just behave for your own mental health. That's my input. I'm a guy, own a motorcycle & live in the country and have abundant reasons for NOT riding a scooter OR covering it. Also, I'm obscessive about protecting my investments. Buddy 125, just turned over 3000 miles, one year of ownership. no problems. love it! Scooter
Rob

Post by Rob »

I don't use a cover on either the scoot or bike during the riding season. I keep them in the garage and do a wipe down once or twice a week and give them a good bath on weekends (I was going to mention a similarity to some relatives here ... but I better not :) )

During the winter months, I'll keep both covered.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
nevermore

Post by nevermore »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
DIPA wrote:For those who live in a city, do you take the cover with you and cover the scoot when you park for more than just a quick stop, like at work? I'm moving to a city & will be missing my garage :( I'm planning on getting a cover for when it's parked at night & chained up, but I see scooters parked all over without covers.
I only ever use my cover for overnight and longer term parking. Short trips would be a bit too labor intensive for me, taking the cover on and off every time. I think I'd have a few different habits if it rained a lot here though.
This: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =100659432

I am cheap.

Marty
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

nevermore wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:
This: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =100659432

I am cheap.

Marty
For $4 more you can have the real thing...

DIPA

Post by DIPA »

[/quote]
For $4 more you can have the real thing...[/quote]

Yeah, I like these. They're not at all flashy, & cheap enough to replace if something happens to it. I think I will be covering my scoot when it's parked all day at work. Just last night, some jerk put a piece of chewed gum on my speedometer. And that was just in a small Jersey beach town, let alone in the city :evil:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If you're concerned about visibility when parking on the street, you could always put some hi-viz or reflective tape on the cover.

If I was parking overnight in Greenpoint, I'd have a cover (covered in tape) and about $300 worth of locks (alarm disc lock and a big-ass chain). Actually, I'd do this in almost any large city if I had to park on the street overnight on a regular basis.

There's a new Vespa LX in my neighborhood and the owner parks it in the small lot outside his apartment, which is on a busy street. It's in the same place, every night and day, no cover or lock. And every day I ride by and see it's still there, I think the owner got lucky—again.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…