Automatic Motorcycles.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Irishrover

Automatic Motorcycles.

Post by Irishrover »

I was speaking today with my neighbour who is selling one of his bikes and was asking if he had any viewers, he told me that a guy came to see it and thought it was an automatic, when he discovered it was a Kawasaki ER5 he left. I said to my neighbour there is no such thing as an automatic bike to which he replied yes there is I saw one yesterday at the local dealership, I said it must have been a maxi scoot. He had me thinking, so onto the web I went and found the Honda DN01 that I had read about a few years back, but he wasn't talking about that, then I discovered the bike he was on about it was the Aprilia Mana 850cc link
What a great bike for an automatic, might just get a test ride. It's available in the states apparently.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

It uses the same engine as gilera's 800cc scooter, just limited to electronic RPM's to simulate switching gears even though it's still CVT.

Technically there are automatic bikes, but very few.
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

Years ago Honda made a Hondamatic i think it was 450 or 550cc... about the size of a Nighthawk,,, but yes there was one automatic transmission that i can remember....
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Major Redneck wrote:Years ago Honda made a Hondamatic i think it was 450 or 550cc... about the size of a Nighthawk,,, but yes there was one automatic transmission that i can remember....
Yep, Hondamatic. I knew of the CM400 but apparently there were a bunch including a 750. Ahhhhh, Honda.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hondamatic

As for the buyer thinking motorbikes are automatic, that's just weird. How did your neighbor advertise it?
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

12K?? REally?? I like the bike...but do not like the price.
Vic

Post by Vic »

http://ridleymotorcycles.com/0eight/models.htm

Nobody going to call these scooters, either.

-v
Vic

Post by Vic »

http://www.roarmotorcycles.com/

I like the 250cc for $4k with a 3 year warranty.

-v
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There are a few people on ModernVespa who own Manas. I think it's a great bike, really interesting. Just a little expensive.

I don't think the Mana is technically a CVT. It's a sequential with an automatic clutch that swaps between different gear ratios.

From what I hear it's a fun ride.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pairofscoots

Post by pairofscoots »

There is a rumor that Honda will be coming out with one in the 2010 model line.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/13august09_semiauto.htm
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

pairofscoots wrote:There is a rumor that Honda will be coming out with one in the 2010 model line.

OK, automatic motorcycle stuff aside.... if it can run on 1 2 3 or all 4 cylinders, I'd seriously think about that bike, depending on how they style it and the rest of the package. Making a 1200cc fuel efficient would be a HUGE incentive to look at larger displacement bikes. It's also a Sport Tourer, which means comfort, handling and from the factory luggage options.

I'm keeping an eye out for this one!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Don't forget the Yamaha FJR with clutchless thumb shifting.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/produ ... /home.aspx

1300cc sport tourer
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Vic wrote:http://www.roarmotorcycles.com/

I like the 250cc for $4k with a 3 year warranty.

-v
I never knew the treatment of women these days was the same as it was in the early 1900's!

I lost all interest when I saw pictures of chinese scooters next to the bikes.
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

You also have the Aprilia Mana 850.

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/aprilia ... a_mana.htm
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

toddrw2251 wrote:You also have the Aprilia Mana 850.

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/aprilia ... a_mana.htm
And the thread comes full circle!
:rofl:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

HAHA! I was wondering if I had the ability to kill a thread. My guess is no. :wink:
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

My dealer (Great Scoot of Kalispell MT) has a 250cc that is made by one of the scooter companies. It is basically a scooter that looks like a motorcycle. It's got a scooter engine and transmission and even a gas guage, like a scooter. I'll make myself a note to take its picture tomorrow and post it.
2008 Buddy 125 (sold)
2009 SYM RV250
1963 Karmann Ghia
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Is it a CFmoto? I have seen them before in person, but quality isnt that great, they dont even have oil filters.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

I think it might be a CPI GTR, Austrian company, assembled in Taiwan.

kmtscoot wrote:My dealer (Great Scoot of Kalispell MT) has a 250cc that is made by one of the scooter companies. It is basically a scooter that looks like a motorcycle. It's got a scooter engine and transmission and even a gas guage, like a scooter. I'll make myself a note to take its picture tomorrow and post it.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

jfrost2 wrote:Is it a CFmoto? I have seen them before in person, but quality isnt that great, they dont even have oil filters.
Do you mean screens? My Hondas have screens but no filters.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

CPI had bankruptcy and money issues a few months back if I remember correctly. I hope they make it out of it and can still produce the GTR and import to the USA through flyscooters. They want to import the CPI GTR250.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

I didn't know that jfrost. Yes the 250 would be my preferred model, only one dealer in my area sells them, never spotted any on the roads though.

jfrost2 wrote:CPI had bankruptcy and money issues a few months back if I remember correctly. I hope they make it out of it and can still produce the GTR and import to the USA through flyscooters. They want to import the CPI GTR250.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I might be wrong, but right now I cant find any dealers online showing they carry the GTR250 in the showroom. All I can find is "Coming soon" teasers that have been there all year.
kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

jfrost2 wrote:Is it a CFmoto? I have seen them before in person, but quality isnt that great, they dont even have oil filters.
Today I had a look at that scooter/motorcycle at my dealer. Jfrost2 hit the nail on the head. The owner said it is made by CF Moto. Here are some pics.
Attachments
P1000658.JPG
P1000658.JPG (97.62 KiB) Viewed 2233 times
P1000659.JPG
P1000659.JPG (113.61 KiB) Viewed 2233 times
I didn't notice till I posted this that you can see me in the right hand mirror.
I didn't notice till I posted this that you can see me in the right hand mirror.
P1000660.JPG (93.08 KiB) Viewed 2233 times
One more mile to the  magic number!
One more mile to the magic number!
P1000661.JPG (74.54 KiB) Viewed 2233 times
2008 Buddy 125 (sold)
2009 SYM RV250
1963 Karmann Ghia
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

That's a strange looking bike, never seen one of those this side of the pond. I see he sells pit bikes also.
kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

Hey Irishrover. I see you're in Scotland. Cool! The land of my ancestors. half of them anyway. The other half came from Northumberland.
2008 Buddy 125 (sold)
2009 SYM RV250
1963 Karmann Ghia
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

Have you visited Scotland yet? Many tourists from the states over here at the moment. I have a friend who also comes from Northumberland, Alnwick actually. It is "cool" here literally. :lol:

kmtscoot wrote:Hey Irishrover. I see you're in Scotland. Cool! The land of my ancestors. half of them anyway. The other half came from Northumberland.
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

kmtscoot wrote:
Today I had a look at that scooter/motorcycle at my dealer. Jfrost2 hit the nail on the head. The owner said it is made by CF Moto. Here are some pics.
A man had the same bike here in Concord NC... It was very fast from what he said... He also was looking to upgrade to a larger bike... He did make the statment parts were hard and long time to get...

I looked into getting the CPI 50cc GTR or the 180 GTR no dealers within hundreds of miles... The CPI GTR's are a very sharp looking bike... Just wish the Aprilia RS 125 racer was able to get a tag on it.... Oh i see they dont have the solid red one anymore on there website :cry:

http://www.apriliausa.com/
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Just remember that 250cc CFMoto has a average user hit speed of 70MPH INDICATED. If the speedo is properly over reading by 10% as standard, it should be going only 63MPH real speed.

The buddy itself has been GPS confirmed to hit speeds similar and higher stock, and only being 125cc.

That shows you the manpower and engineering of taiwanese vs chinese.
kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

No I haven't visited Scotland yet. Scotland and Northern England are the next places I want to visit. It is literally cool here too. I'm in the Rocky Mountains just a few miles south of the Canadian border.
Irishrover wrote:Have you visited Scotland yet? Many tourists from the states over here at the moment. I have a friend who also comes from Northumberland, Alnwick actually. It is "cool" here literally. :lol:

kmtscoot wrote:Hey Irishrover. I see you're in Scotland. Cool! The land of my ancestors. half of them anyway. The other half came from Northumberland.
2008 Buddy 125 (sold)
2009 SYM RV250
1963 Karmann Ghia
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

Ah, snowboarding country,niceeeee!!
If you decide to come to Scotland let me know and you could drop by.

kmtscoot wrote:No I haven't visited Scotland yet. Scotland and Northern England are the next places I want to visit. It is literally cool here too. I'm in the Rocky Mountains just a few miles south of the Canadian border.
Irishrover wrote:Have you visited Scotland yet? Many tourists from the states over here at the moment. I have a friend who also comes from Northumberland, Alnwick actually. It is "cool" here literally. :lol:

kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

OK, I'll be sure to let you know. I'm probably looking at next year for the trip.
Irishrover wrote:Ah, snowboarding country,niceeeee!!
If you decide to come to Scotland let me know and you could drop by.

kmtscoot wrote:No I haven't visited Scotland yet. Scotland and Northern England are the next places I want to visit. It is literally cool here too. I'm in the Rocky Mountains just a few miles south of the Canadian border.

2008 Buddy 125 (sold)
2009 SYM RV250
1963 Karmann Ghia
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Oddly enough, I found out my wife really wants me to get a Mana. I was slightly dumbfounded. OK, I'm still dumbfounded, but not slightly. Hell of a temptation, isn't it?

And to think, all I wanted was a Vstrom.

Weird!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lostmycage wrote:Oddly enough, I found out my wife really wants me to get a Mana.
You're a very lucky man.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ericalm wrote:You're a very lucky man.
Yeah, I know right? We've been looking for a 2-up riding machine for a while now and I've personally been leaning towards a dual-sport machine (read: Wee Strom) for my more exploratory nature. But every time I find one on Craigslist that I like, she shoots it down because the seat is "too small".

So yesterday, I told her that we were going to go to a local dealer for Suzuki, Kawa, Aprillia, Kymco, etc. so that she could sit on a few and get an idea of what seats would fit her best. I made a bee-line to the Strom and she passed the Mana on the way there. Then she kept dragging me back to the Mana, lol. Next thing I know, we're talking price for the different machines. OK, she's talking price for the different machines.

All I wanted to do was show her how a few different models felt in the saddle. :shock: And that was her doing, not the salesman!

There's a chance I might get a Mana, and I'm just not sure how I feel about that! I do know, for the sake of matrimonial serenity, I will go along with her decision.

Oh, and she also does the dishes. And just so I don't sound too chauvinistic, I do all the cooking because she just can't - it's not pretty.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Lostmycage wrote:...And to think, all I wanted was a Vstrom...
You may think you want a Wee Strom, but you don't really. Look at the F650 and the KLR 650.

I sat on a stranger's Strom (he invited me!) and I liked the feel height- and weight-wise, but his passenger told me it wasn't so comfy for her (actually, she was getting her license so she didn't have to sit back there anymore, so that could work in your favour). It did have some kick-a** Givi panniers. If you're looking for dirt, go KLR. If you're looking for road comfort, go F650.

Just my unsolicited quarter.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

siobhan wrote:...but his passenger told me it wasn't so comfy for her (actually, she was getting her license so she didn't have to sit back there anymore, so that could work in your favour)...
Perfect! :twisted:
rajron

Post by rajron »

And just so I don't sound too chauvinistic, I do all the cooking because she just can't - it's not pretty

The above was so small I thought you might want it bigger!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

rajron wrote:And just so I don't sound too chauvinistic, I do all the cooking because she just can't - it's not pretty

The above was so small I thought you might want it bigger!
Thanks rajron!There must be something wrong with my font button or something. I'll look into that!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

If you want her to be comfortable and take those longer exploratory rides and enjoy it you might as well try out a Gold Wing. It has a recliner for a passenger seat.

I can't imagine anyone sitting on the back of a motorcycle that had a "just in case" passenger seat for more than 5 miles. The only thing they're good for is to convince the passenger to get their own bike.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

kmtscoot wrote:
Hey you know whats funny on that CFmoto? The quality is so poor, the B for brights/high beam is upside down, it's a P, supposed to be a b.
kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

I just looked at my original, full resolution, picture of the handlebars and there is another oddity. It is on the brackets that hold the brake fluid reservoirs to the handlebars. On the right side the bracket has an arrow and the word "up". Both of them are right side up. On the left side the bracket also has an arrow and the word "up". Both of them are upside down. Jfrost2 is right again. CFMoto is not very stellar on quality control.

I have to admit, it is a strange looking machine. Someone wanted to unload it and left it on consignment at my dealer. Maybe they left it because the current mileage on the odometer is 665. One more to go and they get to the magic number.
2008 Buddy 125 (sold)
2009 SYM RV250
1963 Karmann Ghia
zuman

Aprilia Mana

Post by zuman »

I've owned a Mana for almost a year now. I paid under $9k for it at Derby Cycles in Shelbyville, KY (not local, but the price made it worth the trip). I'd been out of motorcycling for a number of years, but have a Norton Commando and a BSA Lightning in my past. I had a Genuine Blur that I enjoyed until I sold it, and my wife has a Buddy 150.
The Mana rivals my Seven Cycles Odonata for the best two wheeler I've ever ridden. I love it on back roads, and it handles interstates just fine. haven't had a single maintenance issue with it. I think it looks gorgeous, and the riding position is perfect for me (5'10", 165lb). If you want a REALLY educated take on the Mana, read what Micah Shoemaker at AF1 racing writes about it. He's ridden everything out there and is crazy about the Mana.
I've never been embarrassed at a green light, not even by a liter sportbike. Sure a 'Busa has more horses, but my Mana's computer can "shift" quicker than anyone I've come across. And I can live with only 130mph on my speedometer.
The only thing I'd change is the exhaust, and there's a Leo Vince slip-on in my future.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Zuman, do you have any specific links where he's done any sort of review on the Mana? I see that he's got a few posts in the Aprilia Forums, but I've yet to come across a specific review.

I haven't checked with my insurance guy yet, but just doing a Progressive quote online (generic, not giving them my SSN and all) it comes out to $1040 a year! WFT?! That's just too much. If our insurance guy can't come in lower than that, then it'll never happen, lol.
zuman

AF1/Micah Links

Post by zuman »

Sorry, I can't find the review I was looking for. I had it bookmarked on my previous laptop which has now gone to a far better place. But this thread has a few revealing comments: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/show ... p?t=182134
Also, have you seen this review? http://themotorcyclereview.com/componen ... a-mana-850
BigColdMartini

Honda has a cool automatic motorcycle that's not CVT

Post by BigColdMartini »

Check out the DN-01. I've been seeing more of these on the road.

http://powersports.honda.com/street/crossover.aspx
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Honda has a cool automatic motorcycle that's not CVT

Post by ericalm »

BigColdMartini wrote:Check out the DN-01. I've been seeing more of these on the road.
Weird. We have a lot of early adopters in this area for most rides but I haven't seen a DN-01 yet. Maybe I'll see if a dealer will let me test ride one. :)
rajron

Post by rajron »

I dono about the DN-01, sorta strange looking to me, looks like a tumor or something on the front end, and it weights in at 600 lbs and over $15K – But the Mana to me is a very attractive automatic bike
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

Lostmycage wrote:
pairofscoots wrote:There is a rumor that Honda will be coming out with one in the 2010 model line.

OK, automatic motorcycle stuff aside.... if it can run on 1 2 3 or all 4 cylinders, I'd seriously think about that bike, depending on how they style it and the rest of the package. Making a 1200cc fuel efficient would be a HUGE incentive to look at larger displacement bikes. It's also a Sport Tourer, which means comfort, handling and from the factory luggage options.

I'm keeping an eye out for this one!
http://powersports.honda.com/vfr
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

The VFR referenced in the link above is a pretty amazing bike. V4 power plus an optional dual clutch, semi-automatic transmission. Uses paddle shifters for pretty much instantaneous shifts. Probably a good thing considering most of the early tests of the new VFR were on manual tranny bikes and the manual is quickly developing a reputation as a stiff shifter.

Seems like a great bike that can do pretty much everything. Pity about the complexity and weight, but that's just me...
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Huh. All this time I thought the Venox was a CVT. Nope!