Big man, little scooter.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GreenGiant

Big man, little scooter.

Post by GreenGiant »

So, I pulled into work yesterday and there was a cute little Metropolitan in the parking lot. I was immediately struck by the notion that a scooter would be a fantastic way to make my 20 minute commute in the morning. No highway, no speeds more than 45, traffic not too bad as long as I leave early. And I always wanted to give one a try. Seems like a no-brainer.

One of the things that has held me off from trying one before is my size. I'm a big duder, 6'5" and 240 lbs with a 34" inseam. I'm a little heavier than I usually am at the moment, but I don't want to plan on losing 10-20 pounds when buying a scooter. This isn't a pair of pants.

After reading up, it seems like there are a few people near my height who ride on Buddy-size scooters, and some who ride even smaller 50cc versions. I'm pretty sure I would want the 125 myself. I'm a slut for the older vintage look of the Stella, but the Buddy Series Italia is pretty slick as well.

I guess I'm fishing for more stories about tall people riding scooters. I realize that I'll have to go check some out for myself, and I won't really know until I sit on one and take it for a ride, but other than size, a Buddy 125 sounds just about perfect for my short commute.
EBee

Post by EBee »

My husband is 6' and LOVES to ride my Buddy 125. He has a scooter of his own, a Honda Helix which is very comfortable and much larger but he still enjoys the agility and zip that the Buddy has, which makes it so fun to ride in comparison. Hmm...maybe you need TWO!! :wink:
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
codemonkey

Post by codemonkey »

My husband is 6'6" and 280 pounds and he thinks my buddy is fun to ride. He has to sit way back on the seat and put his knees out to the side a little. He's used to riding a big motorcycle so he feels a little awkward on the buddy but he still likes it. Definitely sit on one before you decide.
Kristy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

im 6' and 300 lbs and really like my buddy im not cramped at all and it gets pretty good pick up
Last edited by vaderscoot on Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
SirLexelot

Post by SirLexelot »

I'm 6'3" and 200Lbs and the Buddy 125 scooter is a great fit for me. Yeah, the floor space is a slight bit cramped, but you promptly forget about that once you start riding. I've comfortably ridden the Buddy for significant distances with no problem whatsoever, and I regularly commute on it. The bike has plenty of pickup for me and is super-agile and responsive.

Honestly there is no better 1-up commuting scooter on the market for a trip that doesn't require highways. Some Vespas are nicer but cost twice as much. Some chinese scooters are cheaper but they're death-traps.

Go with the Buddy 125 and you'll love every minute of it :-) Go with the Series Italia and you'll also love the attention you get ;)
GreenGiant

Post by GreenGiant »

I figure a giant man riding a little scooter will get me the attention, the Series Italia style will make it positive.

I like what I'm hearing. I live about an hour away from a local dealer, and it looks like they have Buddys, Vespas, and even a (pink) Stella in stock. I'll head down there some time next week and see which will properly accommodate my bulk. The worst that can happen is that I'll feel uncomfortable and I'll find out it's not for me.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

Best advice I've been given since I'm still "shopping" is wait until you sit on the bike and test it out. Which ever one you feel the most comfortable on and confident controlling...that's the one that should be your bike.

Buddy Italia is currently number 1 on my list but I'm waiting to sit and ride some of the options before the final decision is made.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

I don't have anything to add regarding size, just wanted to say "welcome to MB!"

For an excruciatingly long year I called East Lansing home- and I was very happy to leave! :wink: