Favorite Rides Thread

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Favorite Rides Thread

Post by Lostmycage »

Have a beautiful little twisty route you love running to catch some fresh air? Know of a wicked good chili-dog stand out in the Boonies? Know of a gorgeous waterfall or an interesting little place to enjoy being out in the open? WANT TO SHARE?!?!

Here's the place to do it!

Let's make it an easy to follow format, shall we? Map it out using an internet map (I'm lazy, so I used Google). Make sure it avoids highways, warn of any tolls or potential pitfalls (seriously, if it literally has pitfalls, warn us!). Then a brief description of the ride.

:!: :!: :!: If possible, I'd like to keep this one as tangent free as possible. If you think it's a good idea, post a route! If you think it's a bad idea, ignore it. Anything else to say? Find the <a href="viewtopic.php?t=10571&highlight=cat+thread+rosas">Cat thread</a> or something like that and post away. Alternately, you can post other thoughts to the <a href="topic10245.html">Scenic Route Resources Thread</a>. You'll notice how all three are linked together, so ideally, no bumping should be needed. How's that for tidy?

Need help finding a route and one's not posted here yet? Head over to the :arrow: <a href="viewtopic.php?p=163202#163202">FAQ</a>.

Here's an example. Starts at a coffee shop, goes down to the Jamestown Ferry (free ferry leaves on the half hour), takes you up to a really nice hole in the wall BBQ joint and ends back at the coffee shop. Rolling hills, tree canopy, 35+ MPH, and a generous dotting of historic and/or tourist trap places.

Using Googlemaps, I entered several way points, avoided highways then clicked the "Get Directions" link. Once that was displayed, On the header bar where you print out the directions, there's a tab titled "Link". Select the first option "Paste link in email or IM" and copy it to your post. Clean it up using the below format.

Code: Select all

&#91;url=HTTP&#93;TEXT&#91;/url&#93;

Where HTTP is replaced with the link you copied from GMaps - keep the quotes - and TEXT is replaced with your route's title.

So... Share away!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Syd

Post by Syd »

This one is pretty short in comparison to your example, LMC, but you take what you can get in the big city. Los Dos Molinos to Gila Valley Lookupt in South Mountain Park, Phoenix
It's only 8 miles, but it's a fun 8 miles. Even more fun if you start early in the morning, because the traffic is light. The speed limit (officially) is 15mph. Finally, if you go to Los Dos on a weekend, go early (before 5:00pm) or be prepared to wait. A lot. Oh, don't bother with the menu. Order the ribs.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TVB

Post by TVB »

This isn't a round trip, but easily the nicest way to get from Petoskey to Mackinaw City, at the northern tip of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. The bulk of it is a stretch of road known to the state as M119, but known to everyone else as the Tunnel of Trees.

I've started the route at Petoskey State Park, just northeast of the city of Petoskey itself. It follows the north shore of Little Traverse Bay to Harbor Springs, which is the quintessential little harbor town, with an extensive marina and a pedestrian-friendly mainstreet shopping district. From there it's on to M119, a road that isn't the fastest route to anywhere, so the only traffic are locals and your fellow travelers. It's about a lane-and-a-half wide, with no center line, and it twists along the bluffs over Lake Michigan, so you have to go fairly slow. Which is kinda the point. I included a detour down off the bluffs on Lower Shore Dr, which is sort of residential but woodsy and pretty. When M119 ends at Cross Village you can turn east on Levering Road or keep following the lakeshore a while longer before you head east to Bliss (which appropriately consists mostly of a pleasant cemetery), then head north to the Straits, where Wilderness Park Dr takes you to the foot of the Mackinac Bridge. (Heading north from there is... a little more stressful a ride. ;) )
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Here's the infamous Ft Mifflin ride from the Philly rally. It starts at Vespa Philly and ends at the Pub on Passyunk East (aka The POPE). Highlights include historic Ft Mifflin, Hog Island Road behind PHL airport where you can watch planes land :nerd:, and crossing some bridges. The Passyunk Bridge has some grates, and the George Platt Bridge is grate-less but tall and windy. BEWARE THE TRAIN TRACKS ON COLUMBUS BOULEVARD/DELAWARE AVENUE. I bent my rear rim real bad there a few years ago.

At the corner of Broad & Pattison is FDR Park. It rules for practicing leaning into curves. Be on the lookout for off-the-beaten-path spots on Hog Island Road...4-wheelers & dirtbikes do sweet jumps out there. Call ahead to Ft Mifflin & see if someone's doing a historical reenactment that day, as it's a lot more fun when they are.

IMHO, 50cc shouldn't do this ride alone. There's some 45mph stretches where cages haul along at 65, thus it can be sketchy. Ride with a friend or two to fill your lane. Safe scooting!
ModBud #442
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

polianarchy wrote:Here's the infamous Ft Mifflin ride from the Philly rally[/url]. It starts at Vespa Philly and ends at the Pub on Passyunk East (aka The POPE). Highlights include historic Ft Mifflin, Hog Island Road behind PHL airport where you can watch planes land :nerd:, and crossing some bridges. The Passyunk Bridge has some grates, and the George Platt Bridge is grate-less but tall and windy. BEWARE THE TRAIN TRACKS ON COLUMBUS BOULEVARD/DELAWARE AVENUE. I bent my rear rim real bad there a few years ago.

At the corner of Broad & Pattison is FDR Park. It rules for practicing leaning into curves. Be on the lookout for off-the-beaten-path spots on Hog Island Road...4-wheelers & dirtbikes do sweet jumps out there. Call ahead to Ft Mifflin & see if someone's doing a historical reenactment that day, as it's a lot more fun when they are.
Sweet Poliana!! I can do a lot of that ride next time I head to Philly Scoots. Last time I missed the turn on Penrose and ended up on the I95 Bridge :shock: not much fun but Mrs was following me so at least my tail was covered. I had no idea there was a back way around the airport - I'll definately be checking it out. Mrs' Buddy is due for a visit to Sean, Larry, Dan and the rest of the crew.