replace cheap plastic light sockets

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jmkjr72

replace cheap plastic light sockets

Post by jmkjr72 »

this project came about because last night on my way home my wife said it was very hard to see me well it turns out my tail light wasnt working
i pulled the cover off and twisted the bulb and it started working again well it came loose two more times today so its time to make things all good
i had been wanting to do a lighting upgrade so i didnt bother with any warranty stuff

this is the underside of my tail light
as you can see the bulb is only held in by the plastic housing and has some cheap copper strips for contacts
so what did i get i got a standard 1157 automotive socket and upgrade from single filiment bulbs
i decided to go with the 1157 so the tail and brake light run off of one bulb i will add a second socket later when i get another one (i thought i had two at the house)
ok just remove the bulb and pull the copper strips out
my new socket was bigger then the hole so i had to enlarge it with the good old dremmel
instead of sodering on a spot for the ground i reused the copper grounding strip but the fit is so tight i shouldnt have any issued
tail light

brake light

now if genuine would just take note and improve there charlie foxtroted ele system on the stella
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

You must have been in the military, I have never heard anyone else use Charlie Foxtrot to describe a situation, unless they have served.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

yes i did my time us army 90 to 95 ft knox(osut) ft lewis duty station)ft sam(reclass ait) and ft carson(duty station)
laxer

Post by laxer »

jmkjr72 wrote:yes i did my time us army 90 to 95 ft knox(osut) ft lewis duty station)ft sam(reclass ait) and ft carson(duty station)
Well done, sir. A sincere thanks for your service, it's people like you that make this country great!