Mirrors

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rew750

Mirrors

Post by rew750 »

I've never been real happy with the mirrors on my Blur. I use a full faced helmet, and love the protection it gives me, but of course it affects you're peripheral vision. So I have to rely on the mirrors to help me see vehicles on either side of me. Does anyone have any suggestions on some better mirrors, maybe larger with a wider angle? Would basically any type of motorcycle mirror fit on the Blur? Not sure if the point where they screw into the handlebars are of a universal size, if there is such a thing.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

If you're looking for a different set of mirrors, they are 8mm with reverse thread on the right side.

You could get some wide angle mirrors to stick to the stock one.

One thing I'll caution you on, a lot of the mirrors on ebay aren't adjustable, at least not on the fly.

The Koso mirrors look very nice, but they seem a wee bit pricey. Could be worth the cost...
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

i added 3" round convex mirrors to each side ... the kind you get at the auto parts store to add to a big truck or minivan mirror. stuck 'em on the outside 1/2 of the blur mirrors. anyway, they are half useful in that i can see a lot better next to me & more behind me. the other half is just filled with me ... which you quickly ignore. maybe not the absolute best answer, but very easy and effective
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

perhaps not the best view ... but here is a picture to show it better.

btw - the camera may look too far to the right, but i shot it showing the normal amount of my arm that covers the mirror from my 6'1" eye view.

this keeps me from changing lanes into my nsx!
Attachments
mirror.JPG
mirror.JPG (68.08 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250

Davek

Post by Davek »

I kinda need to go the opposite route.. the stock mirrors are always in the way when I lane split through traffic in SF. They seem to be exactly the same height as most car mirrors.

Anyone tried any folding or lanesplitting oriented mirrors on the Blur?
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

bar end mirrors are as low as your handle bars.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
tempalte

Post by tempalte »

I put a bar end mirror on my blur. It is much better than stock. But if you lane split, it may be in the way.

I have some pictures at:

http://www.windmeadow.com/node/52
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

i like those a lot better than the round ones i have seen. you'll have to check out the mirror relocation that keyes did on his rattler. never would have thought to mount mirrors there. but i liked it. although, you would be looking down when you should be looking up. ( for lane splitting)
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Bar-end mirrors stick out *way* farther than stock. The height might work out better vs. car mirrors, but it might be hard to fit the bike in the garage, etc., and I'd think they'd be more likely to get knocked around when lane splitting.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Too bad that there's not a mirror extender kit out there. I'll gladly admit that one of the weak points for the Blur is the mirrors. I'm very well acquainted with how my shoulders look. If we could get a mirror bump-out similar to how the Buddy does when you install the windshield, I think I would be in heaven. Maybe that's all we need...

Anyone know a source of reverse threaded M8 bolts and nuts? I'd gladly throw together a kit for us sad lot at cost + shipping!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Have you guys tried adjusting the mirror stems? The angle of the stem (where it pivots at the headset) makes a huge difference. If your stems are in line with your handlebars, try moving them forward, I usually kinda line 'em up a little behind the brake levers. Sometimes that buys you a much wider angle of view.

Obviously everyone's different, but I'm a wide load, ha, and the Blur mirrors are placed better than most imho.

Bb
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

blurblaine wrote:perhaps not the best view ... but here is a picture to show it better.

btw - the camera may look too far to the right, but i shot it showing the normal amount of my arm that covers the mirror from my 6'1" eye view.

this keeps me from changing lanes into my nsx!
dude - your garage is way too neat & tidy - you need a hobby (or 3)!!
:lol:
pajeanka

Post by pajeanka »

Guys, I may have done what you are talking about. OK, don't laugh at me, but I took the short Cuppini windscreen (already cut down) off of my Buddy St. Tropez and mounted it on the Blur I now ride. (I didn't want a tinted windscreen on the Blur like the Genuine one & knew I'd have to cut it shorter also.) Of course, the Cuppini windscreen mounts my stock Blur mirrors up & out a little bit. It does make a difference. It also allowed me to keep my GPS mount. I know you want to see a photo, but I'm out the door this morning. I'll try to get a photo later. :wink:
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

Hey BeachBuzz,

Go back and look at my picture again and you'll see I computer-cleaned everything below the mirror in the picture ... it really wasn't all that 'neat & tidy' ...
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250

pajeanka

Post by pajeanka »

Grabbed the Blur windscreen/mirror photos I promised. Maybe these photos will inspire some creative ideas. You guys have come up with some amazing things before . . . . :wink:
Attachments
Blur right mirror.
Blur right mirror.
Blur Right Mirror.1.jpg (176.76 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
Blur left mirror & GPS mount on Cuppini windscreen bracket.
Blur left mirror & GPS mount on Cuppini windscreen bracket.
Blur Mirror - GPS Mount.1.jpg (177.92 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
Dash side view of Genuine Cuppini windscreen, GPS mount, & mirror configuration.
Dash side view of Genuine Cuppini windscreen, GPS mount, & mirror configuration.
Blur Windscreen - Dash.1.jpg (167.65 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
Front view of Genuine Cuppini Buddy Short windscreen mounted on '07 Blur scooter. (This windscreen has been cut down for a 5'1" rider.)
Front view of Genuine Cuppini Buddy Short windscreen mounted on '07 Blur scooter. (This windscreen has been cut down for a 5'1" rider.)
Blur Windscreen.1.jpg (134.69 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Hrrmm.... That's different!

At first I was thinking that it'd look horrible, but that's not bad at all. I kinda like it!

It does accentuate the whole bird beak aspect of the Blur. Reminds me of one of those birds with it's feathers ruffled that you see on National Geographic.

Wait.... Was your Blur cooing at you? It might be looking to mate... :rofl:
pajeanka

Post by pajeanka »

Yeah, I knew you guys would laugh. :P
I hesitated to post the pics. But the lines of the windscreen design have grown on me. Kind of like some transport device from a Star Wars movie.
When I first thought about moving the Cuppini windscreen to the Blur I thought it would look ugly also plus I assumed I'd have to mod the windscreen some more (cut back the bottom curves). So I was just like, "Well, I'll mount one side and see what it looks like." Once I got the full windscreen on the Blur and saw that it was functional height wise, adjusted those mirrors up and out, allowed me to keep my GPS mount, and didn't cost me any more money I decided to stay with it. My budget states that I'm more into function than mod detail in the present season of life. I'm just glad to be riding the Blur, enjoying it's performance, and the windscreen helps me a bunch on the highway. (I'm currently playing with several decal designs for the front Tupperware that may actually enhance those windscreen lines & curves.)
And here's a couple of full scoot photos to help you see it's not as bad as you think . . . .
Attachments
Blur - Left Side.1.jpg
Blur - Left Side.1.jpg (195.75 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
Blur - Front.1.jpg
Blur - Front.1.jpg (149.65 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
pajeanka

Post by pajeanka »

It's not too early to think about Christmas is it . . . maybe I'll get a new SHAD top case for Christmas to replace that wire basket on my Blur rear rack. :wink:
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

LMC:

Have you tried McMaster-Carr. I took a quick look, and most of their left handed stuff is standard, not metric. But they do have some threaded rod and stuff that might be of use:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#fastening-&-joining/=3fgkia
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

pajeanka wrote:It's not too early to think about Christmas is it . . . maybe I'll get a new SHAD top case for Christmas to replace that wire basket on my Blur rear rack. :wink:
the shad sh40 is awesome, and pretty cheap.

i see you have the ever awesome tank bag. that thing is so freakin cool...