Rear Mud Flap

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sparty

Rear Mud Flap

Post by sparty »

My Buddy cam with the mud flap uninstalled. Do most people install it or leave it out? I haven''t bother to install it yet, as I have no idea what that mud flap is supposed to do aside from ... looking cool. Even without it, I shouldn't get mud on me....
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I installed the mud flap just as another means of visibility: I trimmed it in white reflective tape and put some other designs in the middle with the same reflective tape. Just an idea.
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

I think it's more for keeping mud off of whoever is behind you. With that said, I was following my wife today (with her mudflap installed) when we ended up going through some fresh tar/sealer with what seemed like kitty litter sprinkled over it. We were going about 20-25 mph and the kitty litter was hitting my face shield.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

We didn't get one.
What's it look like?
FormerStella

Post by FormerStella »

It looks like an extension of the rear "fender" that goes below the license plate. It's rounded at the bottom and gets narrower as it goes down.
"But not a real green dress, that's cruel!"
sparty

Post by sparty »

Just like what FormerStella said, the piece I brought up is a section of the back of the bike, it's connected to the panel that you bolt the license plate on. If you look behind the panel and see three screws, then you have that mud flap thing installed. If you have three empty screw holes, then it;s not installed. For some reason my Buddy was the only one in the lot that didn't have the flap installed... very subspicuous if you ask me.
seth xyl

Post by seth xyl »

As a dealer, I always leave it as an option for the customer. I bet that in Taiwan the guy who doesn't install the extension is the epitome of a traffic jerk throwing road grime on all his fellow (scooter riding) road users.
-Seth
2009 Black Jack
2005 Genuine Scooter Stella (Mint Mangle)
1986 Japanese market Honda CBR400R Aero
1987 Yamaha DT50, to be Supermoto'd
2003 KYMCO People 50 (Exile) OYL #77
1996 Kinetic TFR