2 tall people on a buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

New scootin

2 tall people on a buddy?

Post by New scootin »

My boyfriend is getting a buddy scooter (150cc). We both want to ride around on it..... He's 6'5" and I'm 5'11"... is this going to work?

He went to a store and said it would be fine, but I'm just curious what other riders out there think.

Thanks!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Don't install a rear rack. That center grab bar will hurt.
There's a good chance he'll end up with his knees sticking out to the sides, but it depends on where his height is and where the two of you end up on the saddle. I'm mostly leg, and my (now ex-) GF didn't let me scoot back on the seat at all...but I had the rear rack on. She was trying to stay off that bar. If I had swapped back out for the stock grab bars, it would probably have worked better.
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

I'm 6' 4" and my wife is 5' 10". We hoped to do more 2 up riding but it doesn't work very well. That much human on a smaller scooter really is awkward.

The Buddy's a great scooter but I think it's ideal for a single rider. Genuine's new scooter coming out next year will be a lot better for 2 persons.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

I'm 6'4 and the wifey 5'9. We do fine....but after about 60 miles we start to get sore. Try the passenger footpegs, some like it. Others don't. But it's defo more comfy for the passenger.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I am 5'2" and my son is 6'. We rode together once.

Too small of a seat for a mother and son.
His legs had noplace to go, I ended up with my elbows on his knees.

I suggest you both get scooters and ride them together.

Cheers,
-v
New scootin

Post by New scootin »

GrittyTacoman wrote:I'm 6' 4" and my wife is 5' 10". We hoped to do more 2 up riding but it doesn't work very well. That much human on a smaller scooter really is awkward.

The Buddy's a great scooter but I think it's ideal for a single rider. Genuine's new scooter coming out next year will be a lot better for 2 persons.
Thanks for the input GrittyTacoman. Do you guys have a rack installed on the back and foot pegs? Do you ever just ride around town comfortably?

Do you know any more info. about the new one?
Thanks again!
New scootin

Post by New scootin »

ScootStevie wrote:I'm 6'4 and the wifey 5'9. We do fine....but after about 60 miles we start to get sore. Try the passenger footpegs, some like it. Others don't. But it's defo more comfy for the passenger.
Thanks! Do you guys have the rack on back or the pegs?

I think we'll have to go down to the store and sit on one and try it out. We're thinking of using it to just ride around town.... maybe out to grab dinner, movies or downtown (we live in Phoenix). Probably nothing more than 30 miles at a time...
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

New scootin wrote:
ScootStevie wrote:I'm 6'4 and the wifey 5'9. We do fine....but after about 60 miles we start to get sore. Try the passenger footpegs, some like it. Others don't. But it's defo more comfy for the passenger.
Thanks! Do you guys have the rack on back or the pegs?

I think we'll have to go down to the store and sit on one and try it out. We're thinking of using it to just ride around town.... maybe out to grab dinner, movies or downtown (we live in Phoenix). Probably nothing more than 30 miles at a time...
The wifey and I have footpegs, and a Givi case in the back. If you're just cruising around town, you'll be fine. The reason I said some people have a problem with the footpegs is because they can get in the way of your legs. There is a mod that can be done. Check this--

viewtopic.php?t=1684&highlight=cowl+protectors
New scootin

Post by New scootin »

Thanks!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I'm 6'3" and my wife is 4'8", we've done over 100mi 2-up before. It works fine.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Height's only one factor—there's also overall size, inseam length, other proportions. I strongly suggest going to the dealer and both sitting on the scooter. My wife and I are both under 6' but just don't work comfortably (or safely) 2-up at all.

Obviously, others fit okay, so it really varies.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
nevermore

Post by nevermore »

I would be surprised if you could pull it off comfortably. I was cramped (6' 5" 250) with my neighbors kid (her scoot) on the back. I found with my legs that with modern scooters, the floorboards rise as it moves to the back of the scooter, and that makes my legs seem even longer.

Also 30 miles seems short...until you are on an uncomfortable ride...then it feels like an eternity.

Get a Stella instead...more comfortable for both. Oh, and of course he said it would be fine...if your stuck to the back of him, guys just hate that kind of thing :)

Marty
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

I'm 5'10, she's 5'2 and I feel cramped 2up on the Buddy. I really dont know how +6' people can be comfortable on a Buddy for anything other than short runs but there are plenty of them out there that are perfectly happy with them. My TGB50 has a bigger, more comfy seat, more leg room and feels more stable to me than the Buddy even riding solo. Not sure what the load rating is forthe Buddy but I cant imagine it would be as peppy and flickable with 2 tall riders. Sure you can do it but there are plenty of scoots that could handle you 2 better IMHO.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

BeachBuzz wrote:I'm 5'10, she's 5'2 and I feel cramped 2up on the Buddy. I really dont know how +6' people can be comfortable on a Buddy for anything other than short runs but there are plenty of them out there that are perfectly happy with them. My TGB50 has a bigger, more comfy seat, more leg room and feels more stable to me than the Buddy even riding solo. Not sure what the load rating is forthe Buddy but I cant imagine it would be as peppy and flickable with 2 tall riders. Sure you can do it but there are plenty of scoots that could handle you 2 better IMHO.
Granted, my Buddy is probably a bad example, but my wife and I did a group ride last month 2-up for about 100 miles. I was faster than the RV250 and Big Ruckus 250 that were riding solo with us.

Even before I started modding out my Bud it didn't slow down THAT much when going 2-up.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Kaos wrote:
BeachBuzz wrote:I'm 5'10, she's 5'2 and I feel cramped 2up on the Buddy. I really dont know how +6' people can be comfortable on a Buddy for anything other than short runs but there are plenty of them out there that are perfectly happy with them. My TGB50 has a bigger, more comfy seat, more leg room and feels more stable to me than the Buddy even riding solo. Not sure what the load rating is forthe Buddy but I cant imagine it would be as peppy and flickable with 2 tall riders. Sure you can do it but there are plenty of scoots that could handle you 2 better IMHO.
Granted, my Buddy is probably a bad example, but my wife and I did a group ride last month 2-up for about 100 miles. I was faster than the RV250 and Big Ruckus 250 that were riding solo with us.

Even before I started modding out my Bud it didn't slow down THAT much when going 2-up.
I agree. I'm 210 lbs, wifey 135. We do fine, keeping up with traffic is no problem. Are there bigger scoots more suitable....ya sure. But the buddy does fine. And for short jaunts around the "hood", it's a great time!!
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

trade up for a Stella with a sidecar.....now, that would be too cool.. 8) 8)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

GrittyTacoman wrote:The Buddy's a great scooter but I think it's ideal for a single rider. Genuine's new scooter coming out next year will be a lot better for 2 persons.
I'm with you. Two people on a small frame scoot is not a great combo. Each person weighs nearly as much as the scoot. Weight distribution and balance become issues as big as simply room. That's why my SO and I own two scooters and ride together (great fun).
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

hardd1 wrote:trade up for a Stella with a sidecar.....now, that would be too cool.. 8) 8)
Cool, yes - maybe not so workable though. A Stella has less power than a Buddy and really has great difficulty pulling the weight of a sidecar with passenger IMO. A sidecar "mule" needs more muscle. Let's see sidecar kits for some of the 250/300 scoots.
Last edited by Dooglas on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scooterjon
Banned

Post by scooterjon »

The buddy is not a scooter intended for 2 people. That said the rated weight I have seen on the GVWR recommends 178 pound rider :shock: some say it is incorrect on the plate however Geniune has never commented on this.

Jon
Mollita

Post by Mollita »

My husband is 6'2" and I am 6'1" and we ride it together all the time and love it!
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

The weight issue seems to be a big factor for my wife and I's 2-up scootering. We're 360 lbs. together and that's gotta be tough for a 230 pound machine. The Buddy's handling goes from sportscar to school bus.
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I have a Rattler. My wife and I are both 6 ft tall. We weigh a combined 375 lbs.

It is not comfortable to ride with the both of us. Its possible, but its too cramped for my space. The Speed doesn't drop radically, but it does handle MUCH differently with that much weight. I wouldn't do it for anything, but short runs.