Don't ride without a battery!

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tempalte

Don't ride without a battery!

Post by tempalte »

I finally got my blur back last week. In July the oil line got pinched in the shock.

After they fixed that, I picked up the bike. They had forgot to put the battery back in. Thinking the battery was dead, I kick started it and drove off. After about 5 blocks, smoke started coming out of the dash and I killed the engine.

Well here is what they had to replace:
1. voltage regulator
2. turn signal relay
3. every light bulb. The headlight bulb actually cracked.
4. clock blown (they didn't replace that)
5. one more electronic part that I don't remember

Is it normal for this many things to get fried from just riding without a battery?
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

that sounds very strange to me. on my POC scoot that I used to have at the beach the battery died a couple winters ago. I borrowed the one from my TGB to get the POC fired up for the first time of the season. Once I had it running I put the battery back in the TGB and the POC never saw another battery for 2 years. It kicked OK and the lights all worked the same as if there was a battery, obviously only when the motor was runnning. no battery was no problem for that scoot, it was a Chinese 50 so maybe real scooters are wired differently :?:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

BeachBuzz wrote:that sounds very strange to me. on my POC scoot that I used to have at the beach the battery died a couple winters ago. I borrowed the one from my TGB to get the POC fired up for the first time of the season. Once I had it running I put the battery back in the TGB and the POC never saw another battery for 2 years. It kicked OK and the lights all worked the same as if there was a battery, obviously only when the motor was runnning. no battery was no problem for that scoot, it was a Chinese 50 so maybe real scooters are wired differently :?:
I doubt it, my friend's Buddy runs great with no battery. He just kickstarts it.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

yeah that does sound weird. maybe something was left open causing a short that wreaked havoc on your electricals?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I've always read to never run anything without a battery. Even a dead battery is fine, it just needs to be in the system or you start messing up components. IIRC, the battery serves as a resistor or something.

I did it on a old Vespa a long time ago, blew an impossible-to-replace regulator/rectifier and ended up having to replace the stator to run the whole bike on AC. because I couldn't find the parts to replace them.

You CAN run a bike on AC, but it's not as simple as just yanking out the battery. Maybe something as simple as connecting the battery terminals to each other (or one to ground and one to something else) would work, but if you don't know what you're doing, it certainly CAN fry electrical components.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

illnoise wrote: Maybe something as simple as connecting the battery terminals to each other (or one to ground and one to something else) would work, but if you don't know what you're doing, it certainly CAN fry electrical components.

Bb.
i'll bet that was it. you kickstart to start the combustion process and the stator takes over to run the lights etc. if the terminals inside the battery box had been touching then that could definitely fry something. still not your fault but still sux.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR