Asking Price for my Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

armacham

Asking Price for my Buddy?

Post by armacham »

So Becky and I bought a couple of KLR 650s and may be giving up the scooter scene for a little while, until we can afford more bikes.. (maybe a stella or something that we can share) so we are selling our Buddies.

Basically I am really terrible at judging the value of anyting. What do you guys think is a good ballpark range for my Buddy?

2008 Italia 150
9010 miles
DR Pulley Variator +11g sliding rollers
Windshield
Front Rack
Rear Rack
Cowl Protectors
Givi 30l case with Brake Light kit installed
Deadlight to turnsignal conversion done
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well, you probably won't like my answer, but late model Buddys in great shape have been going for $2000-2300 around here lately. End of summer and accessories don't add much to the value. May be a little different down in your country with a longer (unlimited?) riding season.
armacham

Post by armacham »

that's actually pretty close to what I was thinking. If i can get 2300 ill be happy because it will have paid for my KLR
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

You could always post your price followed by either "OBO" or "or make offer." Congrats on the KLR's! I had been wondering where y'all had gotten off to until I saw a post from Becktastic on advrider the other day.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

$2300?

truthfully that milage is much higher than average Buddy's for sale out there. I see Buddies w/extemely low milage going for well under 2000... I would maybe keep it as a spare if possible. Congrats on your new rides!
Last edited by peabody99 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Congrats on the KLR's, but sorry to have you two leaving our Tucson scooter scene. Ride safe. See you around

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

If you've got the time and patience, I would suggest parting out some of your mods. I think you'd get a better price overall that way. Maybe not all of them, but things like the top case, front rack, rear rack, and cowl protectors would probably sell pretty quickly, offered a la carte.
db

Post by db »

They actually have pricing on KBB as well.
armacham

Post by armacham »

pdxrita wrote:If you've got the time and patience, I would suggest parting out some of your mods. I think you'd get a better price overall that way. Maybe not all of them, but things like the top case, front rack, rear rack, and cowl protectors would probably sell pretty quickly, offered a la carte.
i was definitely considering this, as i do still have the stock grab bar dealie
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Congrats on the KLRs 650...Can you touch??? Those are REALLY high bikes. I can barely touch on my honey's KLR 250, which is why I went with the Super Sherpa (made for little people like me). :wink:

Kbb is not really accurate for 2 wheelers as the prices are so driven by the market. If you can wait I would sell in the Spring, or at least real soon. You won't get full price in a few months. (I gotta sell my CB550 before winter :headache: )
armacham

Post by armacham »

bluebuddygirl wrote:Congrats on the KLRs 650...Can you touch??? Those are REALLY high bikes. I can barely touch on my honey's KLR 250, which is why I went with the Super Sherpa (made for little people like me). :wink:

Kbb is not really accurate for 2 wheelers as the prices are so driven by the market. If you can wait I would sell in the Spring, or at least real soon. You won't get full price in a few months. (I gotta sell my CB550 before winter :headache: )
it helps that i live in southern az so our riding season never really ends
SpunkyFemme

Post by SpunkyFemme »

I agree with Peabody.... $2300 seems very high for a scoot with that many miles. I would think 1900-2000 is more realistic. Particularly in this market.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

it helps that i live in southern az so our riding season never really ends[/quote]

Should have noticed that...it's been a crazy busy week.
Lookin' To Scoot

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

I bought a Seafoam 125 for my wife in April and now that I see she's actualy riding it, I'm giving thought to acquiring another Buddy so I can ride with her. So here is a potential buyer's perspective of the market. I'd like to say that $2300 is fair to both buyer and seller, but I think there are several things working against you. Most people that are looking specifically for a Buddy will know that there is very little difference in performance between the standard 125 and the International 150's. So in that regard you have to consider that buyers can get a brand new 2009 with full 2 year warranty, pick your favorite color 125 and zero miles from Scoot Over for $3000 out the door (probably less since they are doing a whole lot of advertising). Another factor to be aware of is that the International color schemes are an acquired taste and IMHO they don't seem to be weathering that well. After a year or two they look faded and kind of dirty. I like the Black Jack and 2-3 of the standard colors, but the Internationals just aren't what I want to ride. Finally, someone just looking for a scooter is probably going to be put off by the mileage. Face it, for a 2008 model you have a pretty high mileage scooter without a warranty. There are and have been a fair number of scooters on CL Tucson over the last few months. Some have been for sale for a few months. Based on what I've seen, if I came across an Italia with 9000 miles for $2300 I wouldn't follow up. I'd say by asking less than $2000, even if its $1990, you'll be more likely to get some interest and if someone offers anything close to that, take it. Between that and $1500 is probably most realistic.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

We aren't in a huge rush to sell, but I do have a credit card I'd like to pay off.

I do think the scooters round out our transportation collection quite nicely though. :D

Although I swear I hear the scooter whimpering at me whenever I go out on the KLR. :(

With work and school I am too busy to even ride one as much as I'd like and I really can't justify two vehicles.

I have aquired a taste for the dirt now though and the scoot just can't accomodate. (But that crazy Howard is trying to prove me wrong taking his up the back of Mt Lemmon!)

Our new bikes:

I hope we aren't banished from visiting the scooter kingdom. I still love scooters and all you awesome people who ride them!

And yeah, they are both lowered. Only giants can ride these things stock.
Lift heavy eat clean!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Lookin' good, there! :D
You're not banished on one condition. I want to see the occasional update and/or ride report in the photo gallery. ;) (...please?)

Just don't forget about us on those nice DS's.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

You are certainly not banished from the Sky Island Riders. I hope you can make it to El Scoot de Tucson in a couple of weeks, whether on the scoots or the motorcycles.
Can to KLR's carry groceries as well as the scoots?

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Rob

Post by Rob »

Becktastic wrote:I do think the scooters round out our transportation collection quite nicely though. :D
Hey Beck .... your family has grown nicely. But I can't believe you'd put your twins up for adoption. :D
Becktastic wrote:I have aquired a taste for the dirt now though and the scoot just can't accomodate.
I'll admit, my riding tastes have changed some as well. I went the cruiser route to accomodate longer rides (and so my buds will let me make the Sturgis trip with them next year.) But I've kept the scoot for the short hops around town. And with me not riding the scoot as much, my wife has decided it is now hers,

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright