Nice loooooong ride

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gr8dog

Nice loooooong ride

Post by gr8dog »

I took Friday, Sept 18th off work to take a long refreshing ride. I ended up traveling 204 miles on some great roads. There are nice photos and some of my ramblings on a blog post I did regarding this ride. Click the link below, you might like the photos at the very least.

Also, please add your own reasons for taking long rides. Let us see some photos too, if you have them.

http://bobcashmanphotography.com/bobsblog/?p=185
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

gorgeous. send those photos to Genuine.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Reasons I've used for hundred-plus-mile rides.

-Visiting family
-Scooter gathering
-another MB member was passing through within a couple hundred miles.
-visiting friends I haven't seen in a while
-mind-stretching exploring.
-being distracted and figuring if I keep riding, I'll remember what I left the house to get...this one's dangerous. If I'm not careful I'll find myself a couple counties away and still not able to remember what errand I originally left for. :lol:

I'm horrid for remembering to take pictures. I need to fix that.
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Post by Portland_Rider »

Those are great photos along with the commentary. It has been a long time since I drove through that area. Thanks for posting.
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

Great pictures and looks like a really fun ride! I was in the eastern part of my state this weekend (Leavenworth) and thought about how fun it would be to amble along some country roads on the Buddy. You're living the dream! :D
buddywork orange

Thanks for the post

Post by buddywork orange »

awesome photos and beautiful area. :D
bdarling

Post by bdarling »

We must have had the same ramblin' blood running through our veins on Friday. I hit the road with no particular destinations and found myself up in the mountains at one of the best fresh bread shops I know of. From there, I just pointed the front wheel at the most compelling road and opened the throttle as far as it would go...yielding about 45 mph at that altitude :D When I finally rolled back into the garage, I had put 153 miles on the scoot. Good times. Nice pictures, I wish I had taken a couple. The sunset over Lake Henshaw was nice.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Me? I never ride anywhere... :P

I go for mental health rides all the time. There have been numerous times when I have headed out for the two block ride to the corner store for some groceries or something, and 100 miles and however many hours later I return home with nothing but a smile. Groceries? Oh, ya, I knew I forgot something... I don't have alzheimer's, I have a scooter! :D

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

Great photos and write-up, better than most magazine articles.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

bdarling wrote:We must have had the same ramblin' blood running through our veins on Friday. I hit the road with no particular destinations and found myself up in the mountains at one of the best fresh bread shops I know of. From there, I just pointed the front wheel at the most compelling road and opened the throttle as far as it would go...yielding about 45 mph at that altitude :D When I finally rolled back into the garage, I had put 153 miles on the scoot. Good times. Nice pictures, I wish I had taken a couple. The sunset over Lake Henshaw was nice.
Was that Dudley's?
Man, I wish I had some of those ginger/mollasses bars!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Beautiful pictures, thanks for making them available to us. Also very motivating. :clap:

I scoot, therefore I am. 8)

Long rides appeal greatly to me. I just don't want to stop. My longest was about the distance you rode or a bit more. When I'm on the road nothing of the workaday world enters my mind. There is only the road and distance to be covered. It is relaxing like few other things.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Great pics, nice adventure... Your post shows me that I really need to take pics.

My wife and I rode about 115 miles yesterday (Sunday). The scooter club has a standing 1pm open ride every Sunday.

We left the house around noon, and rode to ScooterWorld (our meeting spot) met up with two others and headed for an apple orchard in Weston, MO. After some chatting, cider sipping, and apple fritters we headed back through Leavenworth/Lansing. We took Highway 5 out of town which is a nice, twisty-turny, two-lane road back toward Kansas City. We skimmed the edge of Wyandotte Lake and found our way back toward ScooterWorld.

On the way home the wife and I stopped at a local joint for dinner. By the time we got home it was 7:30pm.

A nice long ride on a great, sunny day.
bdarling

Post by bdarling »

Tocsik wrote:Was that Dudley's?
Man, I wish I had some of those ginger/mollasses bars!
Indeed it was! I just go crazy for their potato bread. Simple. Delicious! I know better than to start eating those molasses bars...I'd probably just eat until something popped.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Me? I never ride anywhere... :P

I go for mental health rides all the time. There have been numerous times when I have headed out for the two block ride to the corner store for some groceries or something, and 100 miles and however many hours later I return home with nothing but a smile. Groceries? Oh, ya, I knew I forgot something... I don't have alzheimer's, I have a scooter! :D
Been there done that too!
Went out towards town the other morning, 6 miles, to pick up some cegars, 100+ miles later at nearly dusk I got home!!!! :lol:
Asburyjer

Post by Asburyjer »

Great pictures, and now I'm feeling motivated to ride a long distance, gotta get my 1st engine service before I head out though.
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

Love the way you frame up those shots, what are you shooting with?
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Asburyjer wrote:Great pictures, and now I'm feeling motivated to ride a long distance, gotta get my 1st engine service before I head out though.
Asburyjer, only one fuel up and 217 posts? I fueled up three times on that one ride alone. :D At one poiont I was riding through the forest on the scenic road when my gas needle touched the empty peg. I rode another 10 miles convinced I would come across a gas station, no such luck. I decided to search for the nearest station using my GPS. It was over 6 miles away! I made it there and could still see gas in my tank. How far will a Buddy go when the needle touches the peg? Anybody know?
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

UnionZac wrote:Love the way you frame up those shots, what are you shooting with?
Thanks UnionZac. I am using a Canon S500. It's my scooter camera because it will easily slip into the glove box while in its case. This is an older camera not available anymore.

The pano photo of the farm with horses and a receding road on the right side is a total of 9 shots stitched together in Photoshop. I then enhance color, contrast and sharpen the file. The boarder is an 8 pixel canvas extension using black followed by a 4 pixel canvas extension using white.

The shot with the scooter in the grass in front of the barn is a single capture. Some color/contrast manipulation and a LOT of sharpening in the grass to create texture. I added a subtle vignette to keep the eye from wandering out of frame. Below is a before and after comparison.