Hello, new owner with some questions....

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rsrider

Hello, new owner with some questions....

Post by rsrider »

Hi, just got a 2008 Buddy 50 Inter. Italia. I bought it used and it only had 240 miles on it and it was made in January of 08. So the first thing is the battery seemed like it was toasted. I have a couple of motorcycles and the scooter was exhibiting the same type of problems I had when the MC batteries were gone. So I put in a new battery and it started right up, yadda yadda....my question is: does the front light come on when you turn the key on? On my motorcycles it does, but on this scooter it doesn't. Is that a problem?

You see, I didn't get the owners manual with it (suppose to be mailed to me) so I really don't know how this thing behaves in it's start cycle. Thanks.

BTW: it is so gutless it's mind boggling, but it is perfect for what I intend to use it for, which is just around town and commute to work. I wanted a Pamplona 150, but just couldn't rationalize the expenditure. I picked up this Italia 50 for $1K, and it looks like new. One thing for sure, if I ride this scooter a lot my New Year's Resolution of not getting any speeding tickets this year will come to pass. :D
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Also, the headlight gets brighter the more throttle you give it. Again, is that normal operation for the 50 cc two stroke?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Ok, a bit of a disclaimer: I don't own the 50, I own what started out as a 125 :P

My headlight only comes on when the engine is running.

The 50 should top out around 40, but I can't speak as to how gutless it is getting there.

The headlight will get a bit brighter under load.
TVB

Post by TVB »

The 50cc Buddy tops out around 40mph on level ground when derestricted. Otherwise it presumably tops out at 30mph or so, as the restriction is intended to do. How long it takes to get there depends in part on how much "cargo" it's carrying, but I've never done one of those "0 to 40mph" tests, so I couldn't say what a typical time is.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

At 6000 feet, my stock (derestricted) buddy would do 40 mph given about a mile of flat road to get up that fast. It gets to 35 relatively quickly, at least quickly enough that I would feel fine riding 35 mph roads.

I'd expect a sea level one to go faster.

And yes, the headlight/tailight will only be on when the engine is running. They are wired directly into the generator circuit, so yes, you will see the bulb get a but brighter at higher RPMs.

The battery on a 50 is puny. It is literally about the size of a lantern battery.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Cool, thanks for the replies. Knowing that the light only comes on when it's running and gets brighter under load eases my worrying mind.

As far as gutless, I have a motorcycle that will do high 10's (actually, it's the high 11's, my bad) in the quarter (top speed 157 mph, never been there just read it in a magazine), so riding the scooter was, to say the least, underwhelming. The speedo registers 34 or 35 mph, and a tailwind will nudge it over the 35 a bit. So really, it's plenty for around town. And if I get a good Flintstones push off at the stop lights/signs, I can get up to the 35 mph ceiling quicker. I live in CA, so I'm sure there is some CARB plumbing underneath that nice plastic.

Again, thanks. I hope that putting in the new battery will cure the problem.
The battery on a 50 is puny. It is literally about the size of a lantern battery.
Yeah, it is small, but still expensive at $40 + core at Wal Mart, which carries a replacement for the OEM yuasu. It seems to be a standard battery in a lot of different scooters.
Last edited by rsrider on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

The 125/150 battery is larger than the one supplied with the 50. I have heard others have replaced the 50 battery with the larger one with pretty good results.

I think the stock 50 battery is really marginal. When I wired my deadlights in as running lights, I found that my battery discharges after about two weeks of commuting. Others have said this problem goes away with a larger battery, or at least you get a lot more time before the battery needs to be topped off.

Also, it is worth noting that performance is noticeably better with a fully charged battery. When my battery is too dead to hit the starter, the scoot is slower. If I don't put it on a charger at that point, eventually it will get to where it misfires not far above idle and is unrideable.

I would really think a sea level 50 would do better than an indicated 35, which is really about 30- the speedometers are optimistic by about 10%.

I would check to see if the scooter is still restricted.

The easy way to check is to unbolt the exhaust at the cylinder. If it is restricted, you will see the exhaust pipe is between a quarter and a half-dollar wide, but there is a washer between the exhaust and head that has an opening the size of a dime. If it's there, take it out and throw it in the trash.

If that one is there, then there is also a washer in the variator that limits the top speed gearing. You can see how to remove it by watching the dealer prep video.

topic11300.html

Doing both of these will bot improve the power by 30-40% and allow you to hit a higher gearing.

While you are in the variator, you may want to change the rollers. 7 gram rollers will give you a lot better acceleration.
narcoleptic

Post by narcoleptic »

When I bought my buddy 50 used, the battery had a dead cell and the electric start never worked. I upgraded to the 7Ah battery that comes with the 125/150 and it has been a great upgrade. There is a thread here ot the forums about doing the upgrade, all that is really required is taking a dremel to the top of the battery cover to remove the tabs so that the cover can close with the bigger battery in there.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

The headlight gets brighter at higher revs? That doesn't sound right. I guess there may be a very minor fluctuation, but there certainly shouldn't be any noticeable change in brightness while you're riding.

It definitely varies on old battery-less AC-powered scooters, but it doesn't seem like that should happen on a modern bike. Even if your battery is dead, the generator should be cranking out plenty of power and it's still being regulated and rectified to DC 12V. I'd suspect something was maybe wrong with the stator, battery, or regulator.

Maybe I'm wrong and they're all like that, or you're just talking about a very minor difference, but it doesn't seem right.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I've noticed that the headlight is a dim when the engine is cold and idling, presumably because the engine is barely putting out enough power to keep itself sparked. Once I get going on the road, the headlight seems pretty steady in brightness, regardless of speed.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Removing the restrictor plate from the exhaust was easy, and really made a difference for off the line acceleration. But I could not get the nut off the variator. It's like super glued on there or something. No matter how much I tried to stop the variator from turning while trying to loosen the nut, it wasn't enough (I broke off a couple of the wave thingies shoving screw drivers into the spaces between to keep the variator from turning, YIKES!). I'm not a lame when it come to wrenching, and I don't think the nut is an opposite of the "lefty loosey, righty tighty" mantra. I'll have to wait until I take it into for service to see if they can get it to come off.

Again, thanks for the information, the scooter has way more umph and I'll wait for the extra 5 mph.

And it appears the new battery is doing the job. I am going to kick start the scooter from now on, and try to put as little load on the battery as possible during start ups.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

rsrider wrote:Removing the restrictor plate from the exhaust was easy, and really made a difference for off the line acceleration. But I could not get the nut off the variator. It's like super glued on there or something. No matter how much I tried to stop the variator from turning while trying to loosen the nut, it wasn't enough (I broke off a couple of the wave thingies shoving screw drivers into the spaces between to keep the variator from turning, YIKES!). I'm not a lame when it come to wrenching, and I don't think the nut is an opposite of the "lefty loosey, righty tighty" mantra. I'll have to wait until I take it into for service to see if they can get it to come off.

Again, thanks for the information, the scooter has way more umph and I'll just wait for the extra 5 mph.

And it appears the new battery is doing the job. I am going to just kick start the scooter from now on, and try to put as little load on the battery as possible during start ups.
Thats because you need an impact wrench to get that nut off. Its not removable by "jamming a screwdriver in it". As you've discovered, that only breaks things.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I've had many a time when "jamming a screwdriver into it" worked. The BFS and the BFH are indispensable tool box items. :)
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I use an impact gun too, but I have heard of people using a strap wrench to hold the variator in place and a breaker bar on the retaining nut. I've never seen this performed. Sounds like some "I don't need an impact gun" urban legend to me :lol:
EZPZ #65
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Kaos wrote: Thats because you need an impact wrench to get that nut off. Its not removable by "jamming a screwdriver in it". As you've discovered, that only breaks things.
Hey, thanks for the tip. Went to Wal-Mart picked up a impact wrench for $28 and pulled the variator washer off. I gained almost 10 mph!!! So more acceleration and more top speed equals way more scooter. Very, very cool. I'm almost excited.

An off the wall question: The impact wrench manual was pretty adamant about oiling up the wrench on a regular basis, but only recommended their proprietary oil. Does anyone know a more generic oil that I can use to lube up the ol'wrench?
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

rsrider wrote:
Kaos wrote: Thats because you need an impact wrench to get that nut off. Its not removable by "jamming a screwdriver in it". As you've discovered, that only breaks things.
Hey, thanks for the tip. Went to Wal-Mart picked up a impact wrench for $28 and pulled the variator washer off. I gained almost 10 mph!!! So more acceleration and more top speed equals way more scooter. Very, very cool. I'm almost excited.

An off the wall question: The impact wrench manual was pretty adamant about oiling up the wrench on a regular basis, but only recommended their proprietary oil. Does anyone know a more generic oil that I can use to lube up the ol'wrench?
Next step is to pay $25 and get some 7 gram Dr Pulley sliders for the front of the variator. THAT will make that grin a lot wider.

While you are at it, the 70cc kit is only $110 away... :)
MarsR

Re: Hello, new owner with some questions....

Post by MarsR »

rsrider wrote:One thing for sure, if I ride this scooter a lot my New Year's Resolution of not getting any speeding tickets this year will come to pass. :D
Some people on this forum have mentioned that they DID receive speeding tickets on their derestricted 50cc scooters. If you derestrict it, you need to make sure it is licensed! :wink:
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

MarsR wrote: Some people on this forum have mentioned that they DID receive speeding tickets on their derestricted 50cc scooters. If you derestrict it, you need to make sure it is licensed! :wink:
or... don't speed
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

Ray Knobs wrote:
MarsR wrote: Some people on this forum have mentioned that they DID receive speeding tickets on their derestricted 50cc scooters. If you derestrict it, you need to make sure it is licensed! :wink:
or... don't speed
As I recall, it wasn't that they were exceeding the speed limit of the road, it was that they were exceeding their state's speed limit for an unlicensed scooter.
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Ray Knobs wrote:
or... don't speed
Hmmm, that's like saying "don't breath".

Well, it is licensed, insured, and I have a class M. And now that the restrictor and variator washer have both been removed, all bets are off. :twisted:
fantumx420

Post by fantumx420 »

So much for a new years resolution :D
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Any PAG (pneumatic air gun) oil will work in the impact gun you got. Heck WD-40 will work to an extent. Just important not to run an impact gun dry... they don't last as long that way.
EZPZ #65