Which Givi topcase for my Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

avidgirl

Which Givi topcase for my Buddy?

Post by avidgirl »

Now that warmer weather is here, I need some place to stash my jacket at the train station. I added the chrome backrack this winter but am now shopping for a Givi topcase. I would like to store my jackets and a pair of boots everyday. Any recommendations? I'm also considering the brake light kit, so feedback on that would be swell too.

Thanks!
Leigh

Creme Buddy 125
paige

Post by paige »

The Givi Micro works perfectly, that is last years model. I have a 32 on my Buddy. Get the electrical harness for the brake light in the lid. Totally worthwhile. I felt like the topcase was kinda blocking the view of my taillight beecause the Buddy is fairly short. Now you can see me going for miles!
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

I have the E30 topcase. It holds my full-face helmet with room for other small items (gloves, rainjacket, etc.). I love it and it looks good on the Buddy... not too big or too small. There's a lightkit available for it and that's the next thing on my to-do list.
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

I have the Givi E30 Monolock case with the brakelight kit. I originally had it on my Yamaha Vino 125 and was very pleased when it fit on Frenchy. I ordered mine from www.TwistedThrottle.com. I use my Givi case a lot for carrying extra gear or if I stop at a store. I also feel more confident about being seen with the brakelight kit--it's really bright--on the topcase.
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
Eireann

Post by Eireann »

I, too, have the E30. I just got it, and am very happy, although I haven't yet gotten the brake light kit. If anyone's interested, there is a posting on girlbike.com about how to make the red "reflective" piece on the top case *truly* reflective. I have taken her advice and acquired some pieces of 3M reflective scotch tape on Ebay--for $4.99. Here's the post: http://girlbike.com/2006/06/22/givi-trunk-reflector/

The E30 actually was purchased to replace the Genuine top case I bought when my Buddy was brand new back in October. I'm a graduate student, and I needed the extra space for books and other things I couldn't fit in my backpack or under the seat. Also I like being able to keep all of my gear with my bike--I pack my jacket into the top case when I park and leave it there. But I need to say, the Genuine top case was a major disappointment. Not only did it seem cheaply made from the get-go, it was, in fact, cheaply made. One of the pins fell out about three months after getting it, so the box was forever rattling whenever I drove over any remotely uneven surface (which here in LA happens *constantly*), and I noticed about a month after that that the whole thing was developing serious horizontal cracks along the bottom! I know sometimes I carry too much weight, but I think it had more to do with the fact that the vibrations from the bike and from the occasional rough riding had more to do with it--coupled with the way that it attaches to the rear rack with metal pieces that do nothing to absorb any shocks.

So now, I have the E30 on my bike, and the sad, cracked Genuine case in my closet. I emailed Genuine to see if they would in any way refund or exchange my purchase (I thought it might be nice to have an extra top case just in case), but I haven't heard anything. Any advice on what to do with the extra case (yes, even comments about turning into a flower pot would be considered at this point). I don't just want to throw it away!
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

so did you have to do any customizing of the buddy luggage rack to get the givi to sit properly? is it secure? thanks.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
Eireann

Post by Eireann »

No, no customizing. The Givi base fits the Buddy rack, and the topcase can be removed from this base by pushing on a button. I found this to be difficult at first with the E30, but now it's not a problem. One thing, though--with the metal pieces that attach the Givi base to the rack, I actually screwed two of them into the outer area, so they are attached to the outer tube of the rack. The metal pieces are shaped like W's (somewhat), and only 1/2 is attached to the luggage rack, if that makes sense. Hard to explain, but probably easier to see when you do it. My boyfriend recommended it because he thought it would give a more even weight distribution. Works great!
JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

I'm thinking about buying the Givi E30 as well, since so many folks here like it.

A couple questions:
  1. I need to get the Genuine luggage rack first, to mount the base plate to, right?
  2. When I buy this topcase---> *CLICK* does the baseplate come with it?
Thanks!
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

JeremyZ wrote:
  1. I need to get the Genuine luggage rack first, to mount the base plate to, right?
  2. When I buy this topcase---> *CLICK* does the baseplate come with it?
1. I bought the Genuine luggage rack in which to mount the base plate.
2. Yes, the baseplate came with the top case E30 (at least from www.twistedthrottle).
crashtestdummy

Order on the way

Post by crashtestdummy »

Well based on the above, I ordered my E30 and the light kit. It should arrive in a few days. Anyone connect the light kit http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/617 to their E30?
Eireann

Post by Eireann »

This link has helpful photos: http://girlbike.com/2006/06/06/givi-bra ... t-install/

Although she installs it in the E350, from what I could tell in the photos, the setup is the same.
Eireann

Post by Eireann »

I want to try asking again--anyone else have a bad experience with the Genuine top case? Mine is cracked and broken and in a closet. Has anyone tried to contact Genuine and/or their dealers about this?
hangukhurley

Re: Order on the way

Post by hangukhurley »

crashtestdummy wrote:Well based on the above, I ordered my E30 and the light kit. It should arrive in a few days.
I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Givi E30 top case and brake light kit. I really like mine, but of course, I don't have anything else in which to compare. The top case and brake light worked perfectly on my Vino 125, as does now on my Buddy.

Eireannn: I never bought the Genuine Buddy top case since I already had my Givi top case from when I had my Vino. Good luck. I hope you get an answer soon!
:lol:
crashtestdummy

Images of E30 Install

Post by crashtestdummy »

I just installed my E30. The most time was spent figuring out the exact location to attach the brackets. These pics show my configuration.
Attachments
Bottom
Bottom
IMG_3861_1.JPG (94.4 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
IMG_3860_1.JPG (118.77 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

I think mine are bolted on like yours--the four corners. Made the most sense in my book. My husband did all the work with the brake light kit, so good luck. I have no idea how he did it. I think I posted a message with directions, but someone found an easier way. :lol: