Centerstand Spring?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

brape

Centerstand Spring?

Post by brape »

My centerstnad doesn't pop up nicely against my scooter anymore. I'm pretty ggood about kicking it the rest of the way before starting on my way, but I'm afraid I'll forget one day. Does this happen to all of them eventually, and is there a way to replace it with a springer spring?
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

This happens to me occasionally. I just spray a little WD-40 on the hinge parts to get it working like new again.
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

Try some white lithium grease on the pivot points and the places where the spring connects. You've got to squeeze it into the crevices of the pivot points, so get a small tube with a pointy nozzle. Then work it up and down a couple of times to distribute.

-jetboy
Last edited by jetboy on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I've used white lithium in the past, but it tends to accumulate lots of road crud when used under a vehicle. Lately, I've had a lot of luck with Rem-DriLube. It's a spray-on, dry teflon lube used for firearms. Suitable for outdoor (all-weather) use, and it doesn't run or drip (unless you go absolutely nuts with the spray can). Nice part about it is that it'll work it's way into the pivots, and, being a spray, you can spritz the entire spring as well. 4 ounces should run you about 5 bucks and will probably outlast the scoot.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Grease or chain lube is the way to go. If it's really bad (particles or dirt in the mechanism), you can remove the stand then clean and re-grease the cylinder.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
brape

Post by brape »

I'll go see what we have out in the garage and give it a go.