charging battery myself?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

purple

charging battery myself?

Post by purple »

Went a month without being able to ride li'l putt-putt... Lo and behold, the battery's dead. :cry: I want to learn to do these things myself. I'm totally in the dark. First embarrasing question: battery location? Any special tools to get it open? It's 12V and I was told to use the smallest amp.
1 or 2. Is this correct? Which do I connect to which terminal? Thanks for your patience...
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Under the floormat; two screws hold the battery panel in. Pop those off. Batt's exposed.

I use the 12V 750mAh charger; attach red to positive, black to negative.

Bam, done. Well, after several hours. :)
Update: "Bought the motorcycle, still have the Blackjack... wife wants me to sell Blackjack..."

purple

charging battery

Post by purple »

What does AH mean?
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Ah stands for amp-hours; mAh is for milli-amp hours.

So for instance if the battery is rated for 1.5Ah, and your charger charges at 750mAh (1000mA =1A), then it takes two hours to charge.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong; it's been far too long since I've studied this stuff!!
Update: "Bought the motorcycle, still have the Blackjack... wife wants me to sell Blackjack..."

peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

On this note, are there any chargers that hook up to the pig tail on a battery tender? I know once the batterey dies, a tender won't work.
purple

charging battery

Post by purple »

The MB book says 6AH. That tells how long it takes to charge? O.k., got it. Do the math! Duh... :oops:
Last edited by purple on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:On this note, are there any chargers that hook up to the pig tail on a battery tender? I know once the batterey dies, a tender won't work.
In that instance, I don't think a charger would do any good either.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
purple

charging battery

Post by purple »

pyropcu, Thanks for the info!
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Well, from what I can remember, the amp-hour (Ah) rating of a battery indicates the duration of time for which it can provide a given current (amperage). For example, a battery rated at 6Ah can provide 1A of current for 6 hours, 2A of current for 3 hours, etc., etc.

I'm not sure if the rating has any direct correlation to the charging rate and time, but I could be wrong. Besides, it's kinda moot since you really don't need to know the charge time; the trickle/float chargers have built-in smarts that let you know when the battery is fully charged (usually some sort of red/yellow/green indicator lights). At the point at which the battery is charged, the charger switches into "maintenance" mode, only supplying enough current to keep the battery "topped up".
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

peabody99 wrote:On this note, are there any chargers that hook up to the pig tail on a battery tender? I know once the batterey dies, a tender won't work.
A battery tender IS a charger. It charges at a low amperage and shuts down as the battery reaches full charge. If the battery is at a low charge (won't start the scoot) then a battery tender can be used to bring the battery to full charge. If the battery is actually dead (discharged to such a low level that it will not accept a charge), then nothing brings it back. If that happens, give it a decent burial and get another.
purple

recharging battery

Post by purple »

Thanks for all the advice!
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

Dooglas wrote:
A battery tender IS a charger. It charges at a low amperage and shuts down as the battery reaches full charge. If the battery is at a low charge (won't start the scoot) then a battery tender can be used to bring the battery to full charge. If the battery is actually dead (discharged to such a low level that it will not accept a charge), then nothing brings it back. If that happens, give it a decent burial and get another.
In the words of Demetri Martin.

"I think batteries are the most dramatic object of all the objects because other things they stop working or they break. But batteries...they die. If you're a battery you're either working or you're dead. "
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

having a extra

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

,battery is a very nice thing. i bought a new one @ batt+, they keep the old one charged, just drop it off, pick it up later, every couple months. they also tell you what kinda shape the batt is in. it is a lil hassle but a swap out in an emergency
is a much easier method than waiting on a charger. imho