Insurance premiums for a 150cc scoot????

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

HansC

Insurance premiums for a 150cc scoot????

Post by HansC »

I'm still shopping for a scooter of about 150cc or up to 250. A few minutes ago I called my insurance agent (State Farm) and asked for premiums for a 150cc. I was told it would be more than $220 a year. This sounds high to me. Would like to get some input if this is the going rate or are they pulling a fast one on me. What are you guys paying on average? Thanks for any kind of input.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I'll take that rate!

Try Progressive and GEICO. Lots of variables on insurance so what one pays doesn't have much to do with another. Unless you live in Florida then the high cost hits everyone.
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Post by Portland_Rider »

State Farms rates for scoots are usually terrible.

That is from my personal experience and from a State Farm Agent. The Agent actually informed me that SF Agents have been complaining that riders looking for insurance are complaining to them that their rates are way too high.

I have a perfect driving record: no accidents, no tickets, no other violations, etc and they wanted a large amount from me for mediocre coverage.

Progressive is a company to look into. FYI, if you go with a local independent non-captive agent selling numerous insurance lines including Progressive your rate quote will often be less than going direct with Progressive Corporate.

BTW, go with the maximum protection that you can get for yourself. With 70% of drivers under- or un-insured and others willing to do a hit and run, you can easily get a six-figure hospital bill if a car hits you.
nateandcourt

Re: Insurance premiums for a 150cc scoot????

Post by nateandcourt »

HansC wrote:I'm still shopping for a scooter of about 150cc or up to 250. A few minutes ago I called my insurance agent (State Farm) and asked for premiums for a 150cc. I was told it would be more than $220 a year. This sounds high to me. Would like to get some input if this is the going rate or are they pulling a fast one on me. What are you guys paying on average? Thanks for any kind of input.
Progressive quoted me
12-month premium
Pay in full - $97.97
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

Geico went up from $80 to $100 when they decided to have a "minimum charge". I dropped them and went with state farm, they are in the $70's for a year.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

State farm quoted me $330 a month when I inquired about insuring my 50. My response was "you know, if you don't to insure my bike, why not just tell me that and make it easier on both of us?

I'm currently insured on my Stella through Progressive. It is $96 a year ($8 a month!) for liability and comprehensive (no colission). So, I'm insured against theft, vandalism, etc. I'm ok with not getting insurance as it is a $3,000 bike, and a doubt given the way I ride that I will be the one at fault in an accident (assuming I am still alive enough to press the matter anyways...)
cmac

Post by cmac »

I have everything at minimum requirements, no medical, with $200 deductible for coll. and comp.
Pay in full $775 yr
Consider you guys lucky okay!
Im 20yrs old, male, fml
:cry:
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

I should mention I have a homeowners policy with State Farm. If i didn't have that they wouldn't touch a scooter policy
walky08

State Farms

Post by walky08 »

Just to add my input for reference. I will be paying $122 for a '09 125 cc for 12 months, minimum coverage, with great record and several cars with them and the allotted premium reductions. I still think it is too high for a scooter, 1/2 as much as for my 98 SUV.
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

we get our insurance from progressive. if we pay quarterly, the yearly cost of coverage for one 2008 buddy, and two 2009 stellas is $331.00. that is with a 500 buck deductible. we had one buddy stolen a few months ago, and progressive payed out somewhat painlessly and I am told that they have a policy of not increasing your rates for things that are not your fault which includes this theft.
Mr Miller

Post by Mr Miller »

09 Black Jack
27 Male
Gieko full coverage $280 12 months
full coverage $200 deductible
• 171.3cc NCY Big Bore kit
& bunch of other stuff...

http://www.facebook.com/inerseshen for graphic design, advertising, signs, decals...
Skootz Kabootz

Re: Insurance premiums for a 150cc scoot????

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

HansC wrote:... I was told it would be more than $220 a year...
For what? Full coverage? Comprehensive, collision, property, liability, etc, etc, etc? What amounts? What deductible? There are so many variables. If you live in the middle of nowhere it is going to cost a lot less that if you live in the center of a city. Gated parking? Street parking? High crime area? MSF course graduate? Previous accidents? DUI's? Are you insuring a car also? Homeowners insurance too? It all makes a difference.

For what it is worth, $220 is half what I pay annually for complete and total high level coverage with a $250 deductible. I have one accident on the books from over three years ago. No car.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Call a couple different companies. It varies depending on whether you are insuring a single vehicle, whether you have other coverage with them, your age, type of coverage, amount of coverage, size of bike, where you live, where you store your bike, if you have taken MSF course, and so on. It would be best to compare same age/location rates with others.

Example. I have Geico for our bikes only, I am 41, I have taken the MSF course, we have three bikes insured with Geico, I have full coverage only on the scooter (buddy 125, not yet paid off), it is stored in a locked garage, and I live in Akron OH, oh yeah and I received my motorcycle endorsement 8 years ago. With all that said, my premium is $114/year for the scooter.
naptime

Post by naptime »

there are still many factors included in the price. so its different for everyone in different areas.

i use state farm.

i pay 50 a month for full coverage on my car and truck each.

i pay 24 a month for full coverage on my motorcycle.

i pay 12 a month for full coverage on my buddy 150.

but, i also have discounts that really add up as well.

multi vehicle, multi policy (house and vehicles), safe driver, garage, over 35, and i know there are a few others as well.

i have a friend who has a vino 125. he called my state farm agent for insurance on the vino. he was quoted 95 a month for the same coverage that i pay 12 for.

he is under 25. he's had a speeding ticket. he lives in an apartment. he has no garage. he lives in a different side of town, with a higher theft rate. and he wouldnt have the multi line or vehicle discounts.

so.... as yo ucan see, its not just the insurance company. there are many factors.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I live in Florida and have State Farm full coverage on two cages, a Honda CR-V and Astro Van. I pay $126 every month just for the cages. I'm old, accident free, no tickets in over 15 years and my wife has never had an accident or ticket.
I checked with GEICO the other day for insurance on 1 motorcycle (800cc) and two scooters (125cc). The annual was $1360 so I played with the deductibles and got it down to $1200 plus.

No teenage drivers - yet. That takes effect in November and will add $800 a year at least to the cages.

Come on down to Florida, the weather is great!

A FEMA rep that wrote up my claim after Ivan told me that Ohio had the cheapest property insurance rates of most states. My rate is $2000 a yr on a 1900sq ft home and the same in Ohio was about $400 at the time. Mine went up from there after Ivan and has now come down - a little.

Don't let your kids become doctors or lawyers, tell them to start an insurance company.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

Unfortunatley, Florida is noted for having the highest rates in the nation. I'm not sure why. Maybe a combination of theft, personal injuries, and general claims such as past hurricanes destroying scoots. It is very expensive in Florida.

To me, none of the rate quotes stated really make any sense as there are too many variable to consider. We are not comparing apples to apples on here in this post.

Each person should simply consider what is acceptable and non-acceptable risk to them and call around to get the best value from a reputable firm.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

HansC wrote:I'm still shopping for a scooter of about 150cc or up to 250. A few minutes ago I called my insurance agent (State Farm) and asked for premiums for a 150cc. I was told it would be more than $220 a year. This sounds high to me.
Portland_Rider wrote:State Farms rates for scoots are usually terrible.
That is from my personal experience and from a State Farm Agent.
Our scoots are insured through State Farm (and actually in metro Portland FWIW). We pay about $130/year per scoot for liability, collision, comprehensive, and uninsured motorist with the same liability limits as our cars. I think much of what you are talking about here is not differences in scooter insurance but difference in the rates for drivers of various ages, driving records, etc. If you compared auto insurance rates you would also see these kinds of differences.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

Dooglas wrote:
HansC wrote:I'm still shopping for a scooter of about 150cc or up to 250. A few minutes ago I called my insurance agent (State Farm) and asked for premiums for a 150cc. I was told it would be more than $220 a year. This sounds high to me.
Portland_Rider wrote:State Farms rates for scoots are usually terrible.
That is from my personal experience and from a State Farm Agent.
Our scoots are insured through State Farm (and actually in metro Portland FWIW). We pay about $130/year per scoot for liability, collision, comprehensive, and uninsured motorist with the same liability limits as our cars. I think much of what you are talking about here is not differences in scooter insurance but difference in the rates for drivers of various ages, driving records, etc. If you compared auto insurance rates you would also see these kinds of differences.
Regardless of what anyone is paying per year, that dollar number must be considered in comparison to the level of coverage. I pay much more than $130 yearly with Progressive yet I also have $500,000 coverage if one of the 70% of under-insured, uninsured, or a hit and run driver puts me in the hospital. I also have many other great coverages with low deductibles in my insurance, etc etc. If I wanted limited coverage, I could have gotten away getting insurance for my scoot at under $130.

An accident with a car hitting us can ring up a medical bill well over $300,000. Even with an 80/20 Health Insurance coverage; that means the health coverage would only pay $240,000 leaving the rider to cover the remaining $60,000. And it can get much worse.

I'm in my mid-40s with a clean driving record (no incidents going back 27+ years) and a clean insurance bill anywhere in any area, and SF wanted absurd rates to insure me with much less coverage. I do have my HO insurance with SF too (and never had a claim).
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I wonder what Safe Auto charges? Or if they even insure scoots? Just wondering. I'm paying $122 for the year through Progressive. I'd have to look up the details but I believe I have full coverage.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

pugbuddy wrote:I wonder what Safe Auto charges? Or if they even insure scoots? Just wondering. I'm paying $122 for the year through Progressive. I'd have to look up the details but I believe I have full coverage.
I don't think there is technically a term 'full coverage'. You may have met your state's minimum requirements yet you are still held for damages/loss beyond your insurance limits. Even if someone puts you in the hospital (their fault 100%) that doesn't mean you can collect against them if they don't have enough coverage or any for that matter. Your medical bills from an accident could be $100,000 yet if they only have coverage for say $20,000 and they are unemployed with no savings or assets and in debt, can you guess what you might have to settle for and how much of your medical bill you are held accountable to pay?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Portland_Rider wrote:
Dooglas wrote:Our scoots are insured through State Farm (and actually in metro Portland FWIW). We pay about $130/year per scoot for liability, collision, comprehensive, and uninsured motorist with the same liability limits as our cars. I think much of what you are talking about here is not differences in scooter insurance but difference in the rates for drivers of various ages, driving records, etc. If you compared auto insurance rates you would also see these kinds of differences.
Regardless of what anyone is paying per year, that dollar number must be considered in comparison to the level of coverage. I pay much more than $130 yearly with Progressive yet I also have $500,000 coverage if one of the 70% of under-insured, uninsured, or a hit and run driver puts me in the hospital. I also have many other great coverages with low deductibles in my insurance, etc etc. If I wanted limited coverage, I could have gotten away getting insurance for my scoot at under $130.
The rates I quoted above for our scoots ARE for $500K collision/uninsured motorist coverage. As I said, we insure our scoots and bike for the same limits as our cars. I agree with your point that there is not much sense having insurance with very low coverage limits just to minimize the rate or meet the state minimum requirement. The point is to have the coverage when you need it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Others' rates and quotes will seldom be comparable to what you may be quoted. There are way too many variables.

Here's the MB guide to insurance and getting a good rate:
viewtopic.php?p=137483#137483
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ericalm wrote:Others' rates and quotes will seldom be comparable to what you may be quoted. There are way too many variables.

+1000!

Way to many variables.

Also, age of the vehicle and it's intended use go into the equation heavily. Insurance (full coverage w/ $100 deductible on both bikes) is $10 a year less on my motorcycle (it's a mid 80's sport touring bike), despite it being about 850cc's more than the Blur.

The Blur was about $30 cheaper than the Buddy 150 was, simply because it was 2 years older.

When I was shopping for different bikes, a new Vstrom 650 was going to run us $650 a year, whereas one that was about 3 years old would have been $300 less.

A guy I work with has a Hyabusa (there's a few other factors involved there) and he tells me that for full coverage, he's getting quotes around $5k a year. That's not a typo. I can get into just as much trouble on my bike as him (well, OK, so maybe 30 mph less trouble) but we're pretty much the exact opposite. I'm older, married, housed, clean record, have a few vehicles and we have completely different motivations for riding.

Just some perspective for when you want to compare insurance rates with other people.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Lostmycage wrote:
ericalm wrote:Others' rates and quotes will seldom be comparable to what you may be quoted. There are way too many variables.

+1000!

Way to many variables.
+1001
Way, way, WAY, to many variables. No offense to the original poster but while it's good to shop around it's pointless to compare what others pay. Age, driving record, and zip code (rates literally vary from one block to another if the zip code changes). Some people may have a multi-line (scooter+home-owner) discount, or multi-vehicle (car+scooter) discount applied to the premium, even your CREDIT rating plays a big part in the rates you get. You just need to call around and compare. If you call an independent agent he/she will be able to give you quotes numerous companies. Just ask for all the quotes they get.