dr pulley sliders

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kneil67@yahoo.com

dr pulley sliders

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

just finished my install but its pouring out side rain , cant finish here is a video of the cvt running with the cover off. spinning wheel keep on turning....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqkyTjZ-uis
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Your back wheel is spinning awfully fast for a warm up. I remember people have fixed it in the past by turning the idle a notch down since it was too high. I had the same issue myself and turning the idle down did help. It runs at a lower idle, but still very smooth and the back wheel doesnt spin at all.
kneil67@yahoo.com

it seems to be fast but its allways has been like that so never messed with it . I just let it finnish its warm up or use the back break before i come down of the centerstand. Im going to do a test drive now
broke

Post by broke »

Yeah, mine has ALWAYS spun that fast. It warms up faster in the summer, but the wheel still spins. That's totally normal for some bikes.
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
kneil67@yahoo.com

omg what a difference up steep hills at 50 wow id say a 5mph boost
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

You're able to hit and maintain higher RPM's because of the unique slider shape reaching further up the ramps.
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:omg what a difference up steep hills at 50 wow id say a 5mph boost
An instant win.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

You'll get even more power out of the sliders if you upgrade the variator itself to a Dr Pulley brand. It's shaped even better and specifically for the sliders.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I am about to do my 6000 mile service (closer to 6500 mile now :roll: ) so I will be changing my rollers. I've been thinking this may be a good time to switch to sliders....

Kneil67, are the sliders the only mod you have done or are there other factors that are contributing to your scooters improved performance? Other than the additional 5mph at the top end, are there any other performance improvements/losses? Do you have the same acceleration from a standing start?

This seems like it might be a dead simple mod to make since my scooter is going to be apart for service anyways...

Thanks!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Nothing you can really lose if you use a 11G set of sliders. The standard rollers are 11.25G so the weight is nearly the same. Only gain because of the shape of the slider's design.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Man... I've just been reading about the Performance Package with the Dr. Pulley variator, sliders, and clutch spring... I'm getting the freakin' VooDoo bug... totally want to do the mod...

Kaos, your VooDoo site is awesome. Very helpful. Learned a bunch there...

kneil67@yahoo.com

yep my only mod the acceration is smooth thru the whole range it feels like its new again so I dont know if its the sliders or if I have new stuff hard to tell .... :wink:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Man... I've just been reading about the Performance Package with the Dr. Pulley variator, sliders, and clutch spring... I'm getting the freakin' VooDoo bug... totally want to do the mod...

Kaos, your VooDoo site is awesome. Very helpful. Learned a bunch there...
Thanks Skootz! I'll be adding more to it soon, honest. My wife totaled her car on Tuesday(everyone involved is ok!) so paperwork has been the word of the week. Look out for some more Voodoo soon though!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Hope all is well, Kaos!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

Should the belt be changed at the same time when you replace the sliders? Is it easy to figure out how to place the sliders in the variator? This will be my first attempt at taking the variator apart. I just bought one of the emergency impact wrenches from Harbor Freight for 20 bucks. Anything else I need to be aware of as I take the variator apart?
Me? I ride for the bugs!
kneil67@yahoo.com

just pay attention to how you pull it apart to put it back together modern buddy tech section is the bomb. check out my full break down srry no tech talk not well versed. but it gives you a veiw of not knowing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/67kneil#p/a/u/1/oLLJQQ757AY
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Kneil, great video! :D
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Belt needs to be changed ONLY when changing the actual variator itself to any other brand besides what's stock. It's because the old belt is worn to the shape and angle of the ramps on the stock variator, it needs a new belt to form to the shape of the new ramps for max performance.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

jfrost2 wrote:Belt needs to be changed ONLY when changing the actual variator itself to any other brand besides what's stock. It's because the old belt is worn to the shape and angle of the ramps on the stock variator, it needs a new belt to form to the shape of the new ramps for max performance.
You own stock in nylon or something?

A belt that's within spec will wear into the new shape (1-2 degree difference from stock or you've got the wrong part installed) just as well as a new belt. Plus it'll keep an expensive mod from becoming a ridiculously expensive mod.

Change the belt when it's worn down to below it's service specs (19mm width).

I'll say this about the Dr Pulley variator: It's an incredible upgrade for a low quality variator ($999 SC00T3R), but I'm still not convinced that the PGO stuff needs replacing. Sure it's better, but you could be 3/4 the way to better forks for the same money.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

I never changed the belt when I replaced my variator and didn't notice any difference.

jfrost2 wrote:Belt needs to be changed ONLY when changing the actual variator itself to any other brand besides what's stock. It's because the old belt is worn to the shape and angle of the ramps on the stock variator, it needs a new belt to form to the shape of the new ramps for max performance.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

what weight docs did you drop in?
kneil67@yahoo.com

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:what weight docs did you drop in?
me or irish tim????????????????? me 11grams
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

I may have worded that wrongly, what I meant was by not changing the belt there was no difference to acceleration i.e. I don't think a new belt is necessary when changing the variator, but the sliders made a difference.

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:what weight docs did you drop in?
rondothemidget

I'm stumped

Post by rondothemidget »

Have about 250 miles on a new Dr. Pulley variator, 11g DP sliders and a new Gates kevlar belt. I thought there would be a noticeable difference in speed but didn't guess it would be slower. I'm 5 mph slower going up the hill (12% grade) to my house (45 bmph now) and about 5 mph slower at top speed (around 70 bmph now).

Should I try different weight sliders? Will there be a tradeoff between low-end torque (for going up hills) and top speed? Do I need to have more miles on the new variator, sliders and belt before I notice a difference? I'd appreciate any suggestions?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I'm doing the Dr. Pully variator mod too (with the 1500rpm main spring), and Kaos recommended 12g sliders to me...

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Re: I'm stumped

Post by Lostmycage »

rondothemidget wrote:...Will there be a tradeoff between low-end torque (for going up hills) and top speed? ...
You can't have it all :(
rondothemidget

Re: I'm stumped

Post by rondothemidget »

Lostmycage wrote:
rondothemidget wrote:...Will there be a tradeoff between low-end torque (for going up hills) and top speed? ...
You can't have it all :(
I guessed as much, but didn't think I would lose both low and top end with the upgraded parts.

My stock belt and variator are still in good shape but the rollers were starting to get flat spots. I think I'm going to switch back after a 1,000 miles or so just to see if I'm imagining things.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

You changed too much at once and introduced too many variables.

Put the stock variator and belt in with the 11g sliders and see how that feels. Then make one change at a time and see if you can find where the ball drops. If you want a true feel for what each part does, install them all individually and leave all other parts stock (ie. stock Var & Belt + sliders; Stock rollers & belt w/ Dr P variator; and Stock rollers & variator w/ kevlar belt).

I'm assuming you haven't changed the springs? Those will affect the top end and acceleration just as much; both positively and negatively.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:I'm doing the Dr. Pully variator mod too (with the 1500rpm main spring), and Kaos recommended 12g sliders to me...
If he's not running 1500RPM clutch/contra springs, then 12g is going to be too heavy. 11g's is good for a stock/semi stock bike.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Kaos wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:I'm doing the Dr. Pully variator mod too (with the 1500rpm main spring), and Kaos recommended 12g sliders to me...
If he's not running 1500RPM clutch/contra springs, then 12g is going to be too heavy. 11g's is good for a stock/semi stock bike.
See? What do I know... :lol:

So Kaos, if I am using the 12g sliders and the 1500rpm contra spring that comes with the DP Variator performance kit, will the stock clutch springs still be OK? Or should those get upped to 1500 too?

(Welcome, Ladies and Gentlemen, to this evenings edition of "Ask Kaos"...)

kneil67@yahoo.com

kaos is thinking tick tock tick tock
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
Kaos wrote:
See? What do I know... :lol:

So Kaos, if I am using the 12g sliders and the 1500rpm contra spring that comes with the DP Variator performance kit, will the stock clutch springs still be OK? Or should those get upped to 1500 too?

(Welcome, Ladies and Gentlemen, to this evenings edition of "Ask Kaos"...)
I'd recommend going with 1500RPM clutch springs as well, but you don't HAVE to. They give you a much better off the line snap with no top end penalties. Don't do the 2000's though, as they don't have enough holding power to keep the clutch from slipping.
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

Lostmycage wrote:You changed too much at once and introduced too many variables.

Put the stock variator and belt in with the 11g sliders and see how that feels. Then make one change at a time and see if you can find where the ball drops. If you want a true feel for what each part does, install them all individually and leave all other parts stock (ie. stock Var & Belt + sliders; Stock rollers & belt w/ Dr P variator; and Stock rollers & variator w/ kevlar belt).

I'm assuming you haven't changed the springs? Those will affect the top end and acceleration just as much; both positively and negatively.
I agree about the variables - I will have to apply the scientific method! If I had to guess at a thesis, I would say the sliders would have the biggest impact. Maybe I'll start with reinstalling the stock variator and belt while using the DP sliders. It looks like I'll be heading to Harbor Freight to buy a dc impact wrench.
kneil67@yahoo.com

make an impact on life "Habor freight"
skully93

Post by skully93 »

resurrection time!

11g sliders on my stock buddy feel great. Obviously not a large speed gain, but acceleration is very quick and smooth. Highly recommended.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

skully93 wrote:resurrection time!

11g sliders on my stock buddy feel great. Obviously not a large speed gain, but acceleration is very quick and smooth. Highly recommended.
Holy resurrection batman! Talk about an old thread to wake me from the dead :)
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Kaos... Is...alive!!!
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

PeteH wrote:Kaos... Is...alive!!!
I still lurk around here occasionally :P
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Couldn't get the link to work for VooDoo Buddy. Am I the only one?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

RoaringTodd wrote:Couldn't get the link to work for VooDoo Buddy. Am I the only one?
No, its down right now. I need to get around to updating it and making it work...
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Kaos wrote:Holy resurrection batman! Talk about an old thread to wake me from the dead :)
Duuuuuude!!! Good to see you! I hope all is well! Your ears must be burning. We were just talking about you the other day! :D

Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
Kaos wrote:Holy resurrection batman! Talk about an old thread to wake me from the dead :)
Duuuuuude!!! Good to see you! I hope all is well! Your ears must be burning. We were just talking about you the other day! :D
Heya Skootz! Life just got busy, and things like the internet got pushed to the side. It was probably horrid things right? :P
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Kaos wrote:

Whatever it takes! :D Good to see you back.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jrsjr wrote:
Kaos wrote:

Whatever it takes! :D Good to see you back.
Thanks jrsr :)
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

Hello BuddyLand:

Does anyone know if Dr. Pulley sliders by the way they are shaped, actually pushes the variator out more than regular cyclindrical shaped roller weights of the same weight, when engine is at top RPMs? If yes, are you getting more top speed?

Rick71454
easy

Post by easy »

I just put 11g sliders in my wife's buddy, still using stock varater and it picked a little speed and its a lot smoother power band
what did you trade the day for?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

easy wrote:I just put 11g sliders in my wife's buddy, still using stock varater and it picked a little speed and its a lot smoother power band
\

I put them on last year. Along with the pipe and a cdi/coil. The difference is pretty amazing!
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

I'll go ahead and confirm what everyone else is saying. 11g Dr Pulley Sliders on the Buddy 125 are the shiz.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:I'll go ahead and confirm what everyone else is saying. 11g Dr Pulley Sliders on the Buddy 125 are the shiz.
or the 150 (stock anyway) with pipe!
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

Hello BuddyLand;

You all got to check out these 2 websites...........

I found the website of the company that makes Dr Pulley products.

http://www.unionmaterial.com/

On this website, there is a video diagram comparing how Dr Pulley sliders and regular round roller weight function in a variator. It does a Chinese song in the background to entertain you, kind of like a school fight song at a football game.
It is kind of amusing........

--------------------------------
I found this website about the company Union Material LTD of Taiwan.

http://www.taiwantrade.com.tw/MAIN/en_f ... y_id=33363

Rick71454