What type of helmet do you wear?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ms_Kady

Post by Ms_Kady »

I'm looking for a new helmet to match my scooty. I normally wear a full face, but I like open face helmets such as the one below. I'm just not sure how safe the are, though, so I'm curious to see what my other scooty buddies wear. If you can, post a pic, too! :)

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I wear a Vesga Summit II modular.

When it comes to gear, though, I think it's more about what you feel comfortable wearing than what others wear. I know many riders who wear 3/4 helmets. After one crash, that's more risk than I'm willing to accept. You're right that a 3/4 helmet doesn't offer as much protection as a full face or modular. I happen to be watching a crash tech documentary right now. The guy from Nolan helmets just said something surprising: 80% of helmet impacts in a crash are to the front. I've personally seen the shield pulled off the front of a 3/4 in a crash. It was a pretty minor crash at low speeds but the rider needed stitches to her forehead and cheek.

If you like that style but would prefer to stick with a full face, there are some out there that may suit you.

Icon:

Shoei:

A little pricey, but I' sure there are less expensive ones out there.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Whatever you decide on, consider ear protection in your choice. Wind and noise can do damage. I am busily healing my ears at the moment thanks to lack of protection while riding and a habit of using Qtips. Both bad habits.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I have a fulmer flip up full face, a Shoei RF1000 full face and a AFX 3/4 which I I try to only give into when it is searing hot out.

The Shoei is by far the best. But it gets hot. The RF1000's have some discounts now, b/c they just came out with a new model (RF1100)
Mary Somerville

Post by Mary Somerville »

I'm still new at this, maybe someday I'll get over the claustrophobia of the full face ones. But for now this is what I have:

It is a Scorpion Exo-200. It also comes in pink.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I have terrible claustrophopia (ie need tranquilizer do an MRI). Phil at Pride of Cleveland scooters walked me through getting a ff helmet on. No lie, it took a good 1/2 hour plus to get to the point my heart was not going to explode from panic. The flip up ones are the best for easing your way in.

Now I think nothing of it. Unless I think about wrecking. The good news is my face would not be smashed but I would want the thing off ASAP so I could start screaming or something.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Mary Somerville wrote:I'm still new at this, maybe someday I'll get over the claustrophobia of the full face ones.
I was recently trying on helmets and found that when I tried one on that had a sticker across the front shield, I felt instant claustrophobia. But I normally wear a full face helmet without issue. So maybe, when trying them at the store, try flipping the face shield up before you put it on.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

I always have the shield up when I put on my helmet (A scorpion 700).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I always had that claustrophobia issue with full faces as well, exacerbated by having a XXL head. The Vega Summit II appealed to me in part because it has the most forward space of any modular—others wouldn't close on my face is the rest of the head fit.

Now that I'm more accustomed to being enclosed, I've found a couple FF helmets that fit and didn't seem too claustrophobic. My next lid could very well be a straight FF.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

To each their own risk, but take a look at where the highest numbers are...

(edit: thanks Eric for posting the proper pic below - due to whatever weird cacheness or whatnot, the image was still showing up fine for me until I looked at this page from my work computer. :x )

(My chin is the only way you can tell now that a car turned in front of my bicycle. But you sure can tell.)
Last edited by Quo Vadimus on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Quo Vadimus wrote:To each their own risk, but take a look at where the highest numbers are...

(My chin is the only way you can tell now that a car turned in front of my bicycle. But you sure can tell.)
Think you intended to post this image:
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I wear a scorpion FF EXO-400 helmet, dark silver.
http://shopping.scorpionusa.com

Personally, I'm not fond of 3/4 helmets being on my head, and I clean too many bugs off my face- and wind-shield to consider a half helmet. :lol: YMMV
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

gigi

helmets

Post by gigi »

started with a Z1R three quarter, followed with a Scorpion exo 100 half helmet which provides more coverage and is longer than Z1R, and now I'm waiting on a Vemar full face from Motorcycle superstore. Italian made with good ratings.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I started riding in June of this year, with an HJC open face helmet.

At the beginning of August, I bought that book "Proficient Motorcycling", and after I read the statistics the author quoted for accidents regarding what percentage of the time the chin area was involved, :shock: I went out and bought a modular full-face helmet (Scorpion EXO-900). Three weeks later in spite of my taking the motorcycle safety class, and being a careful, observant rider, a woman pulled out in front of me and I hit her. :headache:

Here's my post from after the accident, and pictures of my helmet.
topic12815.html
That helmet did it's job and protected my chin and face area.

I am firmly convinced I would have needed reconstructive surgery or worse had I not been wearing it.

Needless to say, I replaced that helmet with an identical one, and (since I just found this out from the Scorpion rep a couple weeks ago) I'll be buying the same helmet in Neon Yellow when it comes out in mid-November. A full-face (modular or otherwise) is cheap insurance. Bright color for visibility doesn't hurt either! ....and Skootz Kabootz is right, earplugs are an excellent habit to get into as well--full-face helmet or not! 8)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Mary Somerville wrote:I'm still new at this, maybe someday I'll get over the claustrophobia of the full face ones.
My trick for getting over that feeling was to try on my helmet outdoors as opposed to inside the shop. That helped immensely.
ModBud #442
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

HJC IS-16 in flat black, to match the Blackjack! : http://www.hjchelmets.com/prds_is16.htm

Though the flat black isn't listed here, it exists. Went through newenough.com for <$150!

Never considered a non-full face helmet. The modulars--I just don't trust a pivoting mechanism. If one were to dump it, and land chin-first on the pavement, wouldn't that just fold up? Nope, not for me. I like the added benefit of not having bugs/crap in my face when I ride with a full-face helmet too!
Update: "Bought the motorcycle, still have the Blackjack... wife wants me to sell Blackjack..."

Rob

Post by Rob »

I switch off between two HJC's.

A 3/4 IS-33

And a FF CL-15

Like others, I find myself wearing the FF more and more often for the added protection, but I still don't care for the enclosed feeling. The 3/4 is much more comfy, but being toothless (or worse yet, jawless) might not be such a great look for me.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
brape

Post by brape »

Mary Somerville wrote:I'm still new at this, maybe someday I'll get over the claustrophobia of the full face ones. But for now this is what I have:

I felt like that the first few times I pulled on a full face helmet, but I got used to it pretty quickly while I was trying them on. (I know that really claustrophobia is more complicated then that and if that's the case then good luck)

I like this one, but I don't really want a black helmet for visiblity reasons.
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

brape wrote:
Mary Somerville wrote:I'm still new at this, maybe someday I'll get over the claustrophobia of the full face ones. But for now this is what I have:

I felt like that the first few times I pulled on a full face helmet, but I got used to it pretty quickly while I was trying them on. (I know that really claustrophobia is more complicated then that and if that's the case then good luck)

I like this one, but I don't really want a black helmet for visiblity reasons.
i have matte black, but i bought some of the black reflective tape.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Me and my helmet.....
Attachments
182844.jpg
182844.jpg (68.37 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

I wear a Fulmer M1 Modus, it's a rather nice helmet and it's warrantied for up to a year. My first one had a snap sheer of on the liner, and I took it back to my scoot dealer. They took one look slapped a sticker on it to send back to Fulmer, and let me pick out a new one. Since then I have had no problem with my helmet.

It also breathes nicely keeping my head rather cool in the Atlanta heat, but I'm planning on getting an anti fogging face plate.

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/afm.html
Attachments
M1_82T_LARGE.jpg
M1_82T_LARGE.jpg (103.16 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
oryx

Post by oryx »

i currently have this:

Arai Vector - Phil Read race replica

I know arai's are too pricey for most, but it's a super comfortable helmet and i'm spoiled now and can't go back. I like that they all are handmade and have a 5yr warranty too.

When the new Snell M2010 helmets come out, I want this:

Arai Corsair V - Aoyama

However, I probably can only afford a solid color, not a race replica :(
I definitely would like to get a new one, since the new M2010 standard affects small-headed folks like myself.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

+1 on HJC IS Max Modular. I love this helmet. Many folks in our meet up have since bought it. It's really comfy, easy to flip up at stops, has a really nice retractable sun visor and it's affordable considering all the features.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Shoei TZ-R in Safety Orange

Expensive - Big deal. So my kids don't eat for a week.

Versatile - Doubles as a Great Pumpkin costume at Halloween and helps keep eggs out of my hair.

Practical - Matches my Blur, making it easier for the paramedics to sort things out.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

oryx wrote:Arai Vector - Phil Read race replica

I know arai's are too pricey for most, but it's a super comfortable helmet and i'm spoiled now and can't go back. I like that they all are handmade and have a 5yr warranty too.
Very nice looking helmet. I just saw these are on sale at Cycle Gear. I think they're having a sale for an extra 20% off clearance soon. Still too much for my budget but it made me think about some reflective checkered stripes for my next helmet.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm expecting delivery of a Scorpion Exo 700 tomorrow. I've been looking at that one for a while now and after trying one on a few times, I'm fairly certain that I'm going to really enjoy wearing it, especially in the cold! Best part is I found it on closeout for less than $120 shipped. I *had* to buy it! Makes me feel like I have a big head because it fits so small. I'm a 2XL in Scorpion where I'm an XL in everything else.

I've been using a KBC FFR modular helmet for about a year now, which I love, except for the amount of wind noise at higher speeds (main issue is on my MC with the short windshield installed - the tall windshield is dead quiet). The venting is decent and I like the reinforced closing mechanism.

I also have an AVG "Blade" 3/4 helmet which is probably the best 3/4 helmet out there. I just like the feeling of being enclosed which is the only reason I don't wear it often. And that's in spite of the occasional bout of claustrophobia. I still wear it occasionally and man is it comfy. It's also got accessories that I really wish were available to FF helmets. The accessory visor for it keeps bringing me back to it for times when I'm riding near dusk or dawn. I really wish there was a FF helmet that had that.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Arai - Tommy Gun! :D
kh4130

Post by kh4130 »

n2tattoos wrote:HJC IS-MAX Solid Modular Helmet

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... elmet.aspx

I just got the HJC IS-MAX modular helmet as my 1st helmet. I was focused on getting a modular helmet b/c I wanted the protection of a full face but something that wasn't a pain in the ass to put on with my glasses. With a modular I can flip open the front, put it on my head without messing with my glasses, then flip down the front. I haven't had any complaints so far. I got a good deal on my helmet from newenough too.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Just heard about a local rider who went down on Sunday. He's a member of our local meetup group, but hasn't been out with us. He was out with the Westside Scooter Club for their monthly ride. From what I hear, he tagged someone's rear wheel, lost control and went down—face first. The words "bloody mess" and "trauma" were used to describe the result. We're trying to get an update on his condition.

In another incident this summer, a Buddy rider I know crashed and went face first into the rear of a truck. She lost her 4 front teeth. If she'd been going faster, the injury would have been much worse.

The plastic face shields on some half and 3/4 helmets aren't nearly enough to protect riders in these types of crashes.

I'm not going to tell people what to wear or try to guilt anyone into a FF. I know lots of people who ride with various open face lids. But I think I may tell my wife that I'll only fix her Buddy if she upgrades from her Nolan N30 to a modular or FF.