Hardshifting of Stella

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

HansC

Hardshifting of Stella

Post by HansC »

Had an occasion a couple of weeks ago to test drive a Stella. The hard, slamming shifting of it has me concerned. Any input re: the longevity of the tranny from someone who has had one for a long time? Also, I read on the web somewhere that some states are trying to outlaw 2-strokes. The article I think came from Pennsylvania. Dealers seem to off-load their stock of Stellas. I like the steel construction and spare wheel. Shifting I don't mind as long as I can do it a few thousand times without having to visit the shop. BTW, I'm in Arizona and don't like having to ship clean across the country. Trucking companies like to destroy things on the way. Any help will be appreciated.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

"The hard, slamming shifting" will cease once your Stella is broken in. Some states would love to outlaw two-strokes, along with anything else you might find enjoyable. If you don't live in MA or CA, don't worry about it. I've been enjoying my Stella since the summer of 2006, and my P200 for the past year and a half. A 4-speed two-stroke, IMHO, is the quintessence of the scooter experience. If you're in AZ, you're in a place where you can enjoy your scooter year-round. As someone once said, "It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood."
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

I'm at about 28k now and still get that sweet "ker-CHUNK" when I shift. As a bonus, sometimes my horn will go off as I shift into first. Stellas can be a bit fussy. If you're not into temperamental, you should go with a twist and go.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

So, where is AZ, are you? There are same very active clubs in Tucson and Phx, with a new one starting up in Prescott.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Legislation "banning" 2 strokes in almost all cases bans the sale of new ones. Even CA hasn't dreamed of banning people from using bikes they already own.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

PeterC wrote:"The hard, slamming shifting" will cease once your Stella is broken in. Some states would love to outlaw two-strokes, along with anything else you might find enjoyable. If you don't live in MA or CA, don't worry about it. I've been enjoying my Stella since the summer of 2006, and my P200 for the past year and a half. A 4-speed two-stroke, IMHO, is the quintessence of the scooter experience. If you're in AZ, you're in a place where you can enjoy your scooter year-round. As someone once said, "It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood."
My brand new 2008 Stella will be here next week. Its going in the garage with the 4 strokes. Last time I had a 2 stroke was A 175cc dirt bike in the 70s. I think I'm getting excited. RINNNGDINGDINGDINGDING! :D
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Alright Dennis! Jason came over today and dropped off the hardware for my centerstand for the P200, so she's standing on her own 2 feet! He said he was leaving to pick up the Stella tonight! I still haven't gotten the chance to ride much at all since my kickstart/braking foot is burnt in the worst possible spot! :? I rode it the other day though anyway and I stalled out at 2 different lights. :oops: Ah, the joys of learning....

P.S. Did you name your Stella Bill? I was thinking of painting mine a really dark metallic grey, I could call it the Black Mamba. 8)
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Alright Dennis! Jason came over today and dropped off the hardware for my centerstand for the P200, so she's standing on her own 2 feet! He said he was leaving to pick up the Stella tonight! I still haven't gotten the chance to ride much at all since my kickstart/braking foot is burnt in the worst possible spot! :? I rode it the other day though anyway and I stalled out at 2 different lights. :oops: Ah, the joys of learning....

P.S. Did you name your Stella Bill? I was thinking of painting mine a really dark metallic grey, I could call it the Black Mamba. 8)
Bill would be good. I might have to do that. Or just ACK!. But in a different color. Might need to get my local scootering arteest to help me out. :D
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I meant your signature says Buddy and Bill are the same color, what the heck does that mean? Is it the cat?
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

You've never heard of Bill the cat? Bloom County? Opus? Yes, its the cat. ACK!!!

http://www.chug.org/bcz/fun/BloomCountyGang.jpg

http://www.berkeleybreathed.com/pages/C ... ctions.asp
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

KRUSTYburger wrote:I rode it the other day though anyway and I stalled out at 2 different lights. :oops: Ah, the joys of learning....
Only two? You're doing much better than I did. :oops: Of course, I had to break in a brand new bike. Maybe I'll break it in sometime this year, even! :roll: But seriously, 200+ miles in, and it's already getting easier. This week, I went THREE WHOLE DAYS without stalling! :D
ModBud #442
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Congrats! I can't wait to get it down, I wish I could ride more to practice. :(

Pretty soon you'll be having stall-free weeks! Party time.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Sweet, I rode around a lot last night and only stalled once, and it was in a parking lot rather than
at a light with a line of cars behind me! I think I'm getting the hang of it!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I want my Stella. It's going to be like learning all over again. Can't wait to crank up the 2 stroke!
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

If you need/want a dog-leg clutch lever, I've got a spare. Just let me know.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

WHA? I do need one! Actually I need both sides! the holes are all stripped & egg shaped.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

PM me your address and I'll send it to you. Sadly, I've only found them for the clutch side. But it definitely makes a world of difference.