490mi and the rearview mirror fell off!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pyrocpu

490mi and the rearview mirror fell off!

Post by pyrocpu »

Great! Now what?! I can't figure out how to reattach the mirror--just the mirror & mirror housing fell off. Fortunately, I was able to retrieve it, as I was going 40mph on a bumpy road. But how do I reattach it? Will I have to take me and my scooter up with me to the dealer to fix/replace under warranty?
Update: "Bought the motorcycle, still have the Blackjack... wife wants me to sell Blackjack..."

broke

Post by broke »

Did you check the Technical section? I know that olhogrider and others have posted very good information about how to get the glass out of the frame so that you can tighten the nut behind the mirror. And I've seen many posts about people totally FUBAR-ing their mirror trying to do it wrong.
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

I checked--not there?? :?:
Update: "Bought the motorcycle, still have the Blackjack... wife wants me to sell Blackjack..."

broke

Post by broke »

And you deserve some ribbing :wink:

How exactly does your scooter have a "rear view" mirror? I cannot imagine how to mount that. I guess if you had a 5ft tall windshield you could glue one up there. You know, a windshield as tall as Krusty's dune buggy flag.
broke

Post by broke »

pyrocpu wrote:I checked--not there?? :?:
Here it is:
viewtopic.php?p=89811
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Ahhh!!! Thanks so much! I don't see so well! :(

TVB

Post by TVB »

pyrocpu wrote:Ahhh!!! Thanks so much! I don't see so well! :(
Have you tried installing a mirror to help with that?
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Easier to just go and have it warrantied.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

ScootStevie wrote:Easier to just go and have it warrantied.
+1
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

While I would agree on most consumer products, it's kinduva out-of-the-way to get to/from my local scoot dealer. That, plus being virtually permanently anchored to my chair in this cubicle farm makes it difficult to hit up the dealer!

oryx

Post by oryx »

right after my 3k service, my mirror became very loose (didn't fall off, but on the verge....). asked my dealer, and he said it wasn't covered by warranty. :x so i ended up fixing it myself from those posted directions. it wasn't difficult, just take your time. so, if you do want to take it to the dealer, i'd check beforehand to see if it is covered.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

I had to tighten one of my mirrors too. I had a heck of a time getting the "glass" out. Every time I tried to "extremely gently" lift the glass, the edge would start to crack, so I needed a new idea. I used the suction cup from my GPS mount to grab the glass and lift it out while I pushed the rubber gasket back with a small screwdriver. Worked like a charm.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

oryx wrote:right after my 3k service, my mirror became very loose (didn't fall off, but on the verge....). asked my dealer, and he said it wasn't covered by warranty. :x so i ended up fixing it myself from those posted directions. it wasn't difficult, just take your time. so, if you do want to take it to the dealer, i'd check beforehand to see if it is covered.
They were wrong. I've had mine fixed twice (can't say Genuine has the best mirrors), and both times they were free. I did fix it once myself as well.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

WMS (Wobbly Mirror Syndrome) is a recurring condition owing to the constant vibration gradually loosening the nut inside the mirror housing. It probably could be considered a design flaw as some kind of simple nylon washer setup or some such thing, as opposed to the exiting metal on metal design, would most likely totally solve the problem.

I generally have to retighten one or both of my mirrors every 3-4 months (the nut inside the mirror, that is). It takes me all of about 3 minutes to do it and probably could be avoided altogether if I would just buy some loctite and apply it to the nut when I was fixing it... :roll:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

I just carry a wrench on my scoot so I can pull over and tighten my mirror. I had have my left and right replaced under warranty.
oryx

Post by oryx »

ScootStevie wrote: They were wrong. I've had mine fixed twice (can't say Genuine has the best mirrors), and both times they were free. I did fix it once myself as well.
Maybe so, but i can't really argue with the dealer when they are the only dealer around.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

my mirror committed suicide (the mirror not the stem) and Genuine sent me a new set with a nut already locktite (sp). Shoot them an email. That mirror was only 30days old when it popped off and hit me in the shoulder as it did. I was doing closer to 55mph in traffic so going back for it wasn't an option. Genuine said they had gotten a bad batch of the dang things - sounds like you got one from that batch.